Eric Atreides

Elemental | Disney/Pixar | June 16, 2023 | What if elements have feelings?????? 😱😱😱😱 | Surprise sleeper hit with the biggest 2023 premiere on Disney+

8 hours ago, Jonwo said:

It'll probably move to June 23rd. 

Yep, gotta think so. Says something that other studios are willing to move in with Disney on certain dates. That hasn't happened in the recent past. Although it seems to be more about The Flash and what WB thinks of it, you have to think this also says something about the Pixar brand.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Verrows said:

Yep, gotta think so. Says something that other studios are willing to move in with Disney on certain dates. That hasn't happened in the recent past. Although it seems to be more about The Flash and what WB thinks of it, you have to think this also says something about the Pixar brand.

It says that they can't risk a third animated flop in a row. 

13 hours ago, JWR said:

You can see how Disney animated weakness in 2022 has emboldened other companies.

Flash will get all the PLFs b/c it's Father's Day weekend, and Flash is the "dad drawing" movie...

Yes, Elemental should slide back a week...

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Jonwo said:

It'll probably move to June 23rd. 

With Indy opening on June 30th? It’s likely to have its marketing as an afterthought. Disney has three options for success:

1. Move Elemental to Indy 5’s spot, Indy 5 to The Marvels spot or Christmas and The Marvels to November 3rd if Indy takes the spot.

2. Either try to see how far in completion they are for a spring date or go to fall

3. Wish is pushed back to March 2024, as Elemental takes it spot

• Like 2

I think no matter where Elemental is its reviews are gonna make or break it, though an early July release might be more ideal

I'm still interested in seeing what happens once the Flash marketing campaign gets underway, it has a lot of baggage that I don't think will be ignored by the media, and at the very least I don't think parents won't hesitate to choose it over this

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, YM! said:

June 30th? It’s likely to have its marketing as an afterthought. Disney has three options for success:

1. Move Elemental to Indy 5’s spot, Indy 5 to The Marvels spot or Christmas and The Marvels to November 3rd if Indy takes the spot.

2. Either try to see how far in completion they are for a spring date or go to fall

3. Wish is pushed back to March 2024, as Elemental takes it spot

Yeah I wasn't even thinking that Elemental moving to the 23rd would mean 2 Disney films in a row. Hmmmm.....

Personally I think The Little Mermaid should move back to November, move Indy 5 up to Memorial Day weekend, and then put Elemental on the 23rd. Leaves the June 30 date open and a little more breathing room for everything else.

7 hours ago, Eric Dielman said:

Watch this just stay in the same slot as The Flash. Disney doesn't care anymore.

I kinda like this idea honestly. On the flip side, if reviews and interest is strong then we have the potential for a mega weekend with two big openers. Kind of like the weekend of Jurassic World's second weekend against Inside Out's opening.

• Like 1

There is never gonna be no competition. Wherever they put it there are going to be pros and cons.

I'd at least want to wait and see how the Flash PR campaign unfolds and if it ends up certain to open that day before blinking. I personally think it would be a bad look to move it just because a very troubled superhero tentpole moved to the same day. As it is they still stand as the moral choice of the weekend.

I will say if Pixar really is confident in it, might be a good idea to get it into Cannes, that way a good reputation can be built up in the month leading up.

Edited by AniNate
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, AniNate said:

There is never gonna be no competition. Wherever they put it there are going to be pros and cons.

I'd at least want to wait and see how the Flash PR campaign unfolds and if it ends up certain to open that day before blinking. I personally think it would be a bad look to move it just because a very troubled superhero tentpole moved to the same weekend. As it is they still stand as the moral choice of the weekend.

I will say if Pixar really is confident in it, might be a good idea to get it into Cannes, that way a good reputation can be built up in the month leading up.

Didn't Up go to Cannes?

12 hours ago, AniNate said:

Last one that did was Inside Out, I think

Soul was supposed to go to Cannes as well, before... you know, It did still make it Official Selection that year, although it had already premiered in London.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Disney animation is in terrible shape now due to Chapek moving many movies DTS and then very short theatrical window making families wait. They have to build their reputation again before taking things for granted. This movie is not a sequel as well. So it makes sense to open without any competition. 

This. It's like it self imploded. A sabotage.