Eric Atreides

2023 Box Office Predictions and Discussion

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

There's been no news on production for that officially commencing so that's 2024 at the earliest. Between the four Marvel movies, Indiana Jones, The Little Mermaid, The Haunted Mansion, and new movies from both their animation houses, their 2023 is looking packed enough as it is.

I think there's space

17 minutes ago, filmlover said:

There's been no news on production for that officially commencing so that's 2024 at the earliest. Between the four Marvel movies, Indiana Jones, The Little Mermaid, The Haunted Mansion, and new movies from both their animation houses, their 2023 is looking packed enough as it is.

I mean it's animated, which usually is behind closed doors and doesn't get a lot of information from the press in terms of production/filming. Not totally crazy that it could be ready by 2023.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Eric Belcher said:

I mean it's animated, which usually is behind closed doors and doesn't get a lot of information from the press in terms of production/filming. Not totally crazy that it could be ready by 2023.

They currently have a spot claimed for July 2024, which I have been assuming is for this. They won't want to move away from the spot where the first did well (especially given the warm weather setting).

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

They currently have a spot claimed for July 2024, which I have been assuming is for this. They won't want to move away from the spot where the first did well (especially given the warm weather setting).

Could be for Hercules to. 

Again... we just don't know. The Skyler guy seemed pretty confident that they will announce Lion King for 2023.

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

December 2023 is still a wildcard at this point. It doesn’t seem likely that Disney will have a Star Wars movie ready for that date, and I have my doubts that Star Trek 4 will make it either. 

We will know that tomorrow. The LucasFilm studio panel is tomorrow. 

I still think we will get a Star Wars movie in December 2023

Edited by ImNotRacistAtAll

3 hours ago, ImNotRacistAtAll said:

Could be for Hercules to. 

Again... we just don't know. The Skyler guy seemed pretty confident that they will announce Lion King for 2023.

Hercules is also a movie nowhere near entering production (there isn't even a director yet). Whenever we get concrete movie news, it shows up in the trades (Hollywood Reporter, Variety, etc.).

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

Hercules is also a movie nowhere near entering production (there isn't even a director yet). Whenever we get concrete movie news, it shows up in the trades (Hollywood Reporter, Variety, etc.).

But Hercules doesn't need to enter production until 2023 for that July 2024 date

6 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

What are the Barbie predictions?

Should at least match Girls Trip's $31M opening, if not a bit higher than that due to the brand/star power and not being rated R. As long as the reviews are good it should have strong legs through the end of summer and into the fall.

5 hours ago, filmlover said:

Should at least match Girls Trip's $31M opening, if not a bit higher than that due to the brand/star power and not being rated R. As long as the reviews are good it should have strong legs through the end of summer and into the fall.

I think it's going to hit hard. And I still also think it's going to get all the buzz and acclaim. I have 125m dom

Broad predictions:

Marvel:

Kraven under Morbius (73m). Madame Web under Kraven. Guardians 3 over 410. The Marvels under Captain Marvel (426m). Ant-Man at 250. 

DC:

Aquaman 2 under the first (335m). The Flash under Justice League (229m). Blue Beetle under 100m.

Disney:

-Haunted Mansion under 100m

-Little Mermaid under 500m but over 400m

-Transformers under Bumblebee (127m)

-Indy 5 under 400m

Others:

-Fast X under F9 and Hobbs/Shaw (173m)

-Oppenheimer under Dunkirk (190m) and Interstellar (188m)

-Mission Impossible over 250 but under 300m

-Dune over 200m

-Hunger Games final domestic total under the first Hunger Games opening weekend (152)

-Wonka over 300m

• Haha 1

Chandor is a good director but not exactly a commercial nor crowdpleasing one:

Triple Frontier- 6.4 IMDB. 3.0 Letterboxd. 55% RT Audience score.

Most Violent Year- 7.0 IMDB. 3.5 Letterboxd. 69% RT audience score. (5.7m)

All is Lost- 6.9 IMDB. 3.5 Letterboxd. 64% RT audience score. (6.2m)

Margin Call- 7.1 IMDB. 3.5 Letterboxd. 74% RT audience score. (5.3m)

He also doesn't have a screenplay credit. It belongs to Matt Holloway and Art Marcum (Iron Man, Uncharted, Men in Black 4, Transformers Last Knight, Punisher War Zone) + Richard Wenk (The Protege, The Equalizer, Jack Reacher 2, The Magnificent Seven, The Mechanic).. so the script will be very studio mandated and generic even if Chandor rewrites

And I think unless there's an actual hook, these non-MCU Marvel movies will be roundly rejected by audiences.

1 minute ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Why do you think this? Because the diversity and background of cast?

Yeah the combination of both and the relative popularity of Jaime. Probably the third most popular new comic book character behind Miles and Kamala.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, YourMother said:

Yeah the combination of both and the relative popularity of Jaime. Probably the third most popular new comic book character behind Miles and Kamala.

I’d put Jaime above Kamala. In my view the most popular characters of the last 20 years are: 

1. Spider-Man (Miles Morales)

2. Robin (Damian Wayne) 

3. Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes) 

4. Green Lantern (Jessica Cruz)

5. Ms Marvel (Kamala Khan) 

6. X-23 (Laura Kinney) 

7. Superboy (Jon Kent) 

8.. Ghost Rider (Robbie Reyes)

9. Nova (Sam Alexander) 

10. Wonder Girl (Yara Flor) 

Basically legacy characters are the only ones with staying power, originals don’t stick anymore. Interestingly enough 6/10 are Latino characters 

Edited by El Gato

1 hour ago, El Gato said:

I’d put Jaime above Kamala. In my view the most popular characters of the last 20 years are: 

1. Spider-Man (Miles Morales)

2. Robin (Damian Wayne) 

3. Blue Beetle (Jaime Reyes) 

4. Green Lantern (Jessica Cruz)

5. Ms Marvel (Kamala Khan) 

6. X-23 (Laura Kinney) 

7. Superboy (Jon Kent) 

8.. Ghost Rider (Robbie Reyes)

9. Nova (Sam Alexander) 

10. Wonder Girl (Yara Flor) 

Basically legacy characters are the only ones with staying power, originals don’t stick anymore. Interestingly enough 6/10 are Latino characters 

I think Kamala is definitely more popular than Damian and Jessica Cruz but I think with those they round out the top 5. Even prior to the MCU effect about to take place.

I think the list would be:

Miles Morales

Kamala Khan

Jaime Reyes

Jessica Cruz

Damain Wayne

If Static counted which he shouldn’t due to his 90s debut, I’d put him over Cruz.

Edited by YourMother

2 hours ago, YourMother said:

I think Kamala is definitely more popular than Damian and Jessica Cruz but I think with those they round out the top 5. Even prior to the MCU effect about to take place.

I think the list would be:

Miles Morales

Kamala Khan

Jaime Reyes

Jessica Cruz

Damain Wayne

If Static counted which he shouldn’t due to his 90s debut, I’d put him over Cruz.

I agree with those 5 being the top 5 but I think Kamala would be lower since Jessica and Damian have had longer lasting series and Jaime has appeared in more high profile projects. But we’re getting off topic lol! Hoping the Blue Beetle film makes bank at the box office! The character deserves it