Eric Atreides

Weekend Thread (5/20-22) | DS2 31.6, Downton 16, Bad Guys 6.1, Sonic 3.9, Men (are trash) 3.3

12 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Sigh. 

Yet another wide release horror opening under $5m this year. The sixth. 

Only one has opened higher and it was Scream with $30m. One of the worst first six months of a year the genre has ever had. 

A24 has turned off people of their horror movies, which are way closer to art house dramas than traditional horror fare. I think after Lamb people are done giving A24 horror a chance. The marketing isn’t fooling anyone anymore. 

5 hours ago, narniadis said:

Chip and Dale was great. My 9 yo who has maybe seen 1 episode loved it and was fully engaged. Shame it wasn't a theater release. 

Yes I really liked it as well. Really surprised coming from Disney+ Had it been in theaters this weekend, it could have had an $20m+ opening and rejuvenated the Box office imo. 

1 hour ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

MEN (2022)D+

Same grade as Hereditary. 

I think we know by now that general audiences aren’t loving the A24 horror. Yet they’ll find their audience later. 

Hereditary and Midsommar are two of the best regarded horror films online for the past 10 years. See Letterboxd. They’re both still top 10 there this week. 

• Like 1

Men with a D+ score. After seeing it I was kinda expecting an F lol the last 15 minutes... oof (Unpleasant watch but definitely one that's interesting to think about after seeing it)

Edited by AdrianL

26 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

$8.25m for DS2

Much more reasonable. Should be good chance at 30-31, which makes 400-410 much better shot.

11 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

Downton seems like will be $5.3M True FRI. 

Also much more reasonable. So perhaps:

4.5 // 17

This pre-Memorial Day weekend has a tendency to be a little flatter FSS, won’t be surprised if Sat bumps are a bit smaller this week than last 

3 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Same grade as Hereditary. 

I think we know by now that general audiences aren’t loving the A24 horror. Yet they’ll find their audience later. 

Hereditary and Midsommar are two of the best regarded horror films online for the past 10 years. See Letterboxd. They’re both still top 10 there this week. 

The Lighthouse is better regarded than Hereditary and Midsommar, especially Midsommar.. If you are counting Letterboxd and Imdb.
It's just that A24 missed the mark by not giving it a wide release, when it was better received than The Witch i.e.

But word of mouth helped TL a lot with streaming, and it already has almost the same number of ratings as both.

Edited by Lighthouse

With Horror, I also wonder whether there isn't a splatter effect (no pun intended) from the directions of some of the bigger more mainstream films.

- It: Chapter 2 rode the success of the first but was underwhelmingly received on its own bat.

- Us was one of the biggest, most anticipated original films of the last few years and then was......mixed....in its reception.

- Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark was also very well anticipated and then was low key kind of awful. Plus there doesn't seem anything in the pipeline of introductory-horror where the Goosebumps films and House/Clock/Walls were a few years ago. 

- Halloween is still doing extremely well, but the second was far weaker and the GA reception made that clear.

- Alien and Predator franchises are on ventilation

- The Conjuring universe outside of the main series has kind of collapsed.

- Even the success of a new Scream film kind of indicates mainstream horror tastes have kind of shifted back into another phase.

Nope is obviously a big opportunity for the genre. Candyman was a success. Halloween is still bringing numbers albeit no prestige. It's not all gloom. I do wonder though that it might be worth a shift back towards the early 00s type films and things more like Fear Street if anyone wants to hit the zeitgeist (PS: I don't personally, I love the A24 films and think horror creativity is in the best state it's been in decades, but I'm writing in terms of BO).

I, like many of us here I suspect, think I'll probably love Men and get frustrated at the GA again - but that is a bit futile. The reality is that Hereditary, particularly since it did get a good opening weekend, did a lot of damage that we're still seeing. It makes me sick to type that, because it's a masterpiece, but I regret that that is how things are.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

With Horror, I also wonder whether there isn't a splatter effect (no pun intended) from the directions of some of the bigger more mainstream films.

- It: Chapter 2 rode the success of the first but was underwhelmingly received on its own bat.

- Us was one of the biggest, most anticipated original films of the last few years and then was......mixed....in its reception.

- Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark was also very well anticipated and then was low key kind of awful. Plus there doesn't seem anything in the pipeline of introductory-horror where the Goosebumps films and House/Clock/Walls were a few years ago. 

- Halloween is still doing extremely well, but the second was far weaker and the GA reception made that clear.

- Alien and Predator franchises are on ventilation

- The Conjuring universe outside of the main series has kind of collapsed.

- Even the success of a new Scream film kind of indicates mainstream horror tastes have kind of shifted back into another phase.

Nope is obviously a big opportunity for the genre. Candyman was a success. Halloween is still bringing numbers albeit no prestige. It's not all gloom. I do wonder though that it might be worth a shift back towards the early 00s type films and things more like Fear Street if anyone wants to hit the zeitgeist (PS: I don't personally, I love the A24 films and think horror creativity is in the best state it's been in decades, but I'm writing in terms of BO).

I, like many of us here I suspect, think I'll probably love Men and get frustrated at the GA again - but that is a bit futile. The reality is that Hereditary, particularly since it did get a good opening weekend, did a lot of damage that we're still seeing. It makes me sick to type that, because it's a masterpiece, but I regret that that is how things are.

Excellently put. Maybe we are at the precipice of a new slasher boom? 

"Men" only opens little better than Liam Neeson's "Memory"; proving again that distributor can't open a film in wide release without TV spots...

(I only saw "Memory" TV spots on Adult Swim.   Didn't see any TV spots of "Men", even though the film has better reviews and online buzz....)

Edited by John2015
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

16 hours ago, Krissykins said:

Deadline have $8m for Downton Abbey 2 and just $1.4m for Men (Urgh). Men has been marketed so well and yet despite the A24 crowd it’s opening under Firestarter which was available at home with horrendous reviews and no advertising.

How has it been marketed well if it bombed on it opening weekend? That means terrible marketing. Good marketing puts butts in seats. This didn't even attract A24 crowd. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

How has it been marketed well if it bombed on it opening weekend? That means terrible marketing. Good marketing puts butts in seats. This didn't even attract A24 crowd. 

In fact, I kept seeing "Firestarter" TV spots on different cable channels.  But I didn't see any TV spots of "Men".

No matter how good "Men" is,  many people don't even know the film's existence.

TV marketing is still very important. Even Apple+ and Amazon are still spending big money to promote their streaming series/movies on TV. (For instance, I had seen too many TV spots of Apple TV+ series "Shining Girls".... almost as many as "Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness")

Edited by John2015