Eric Atreides

Top Gun: Maverick (2022)

Top Gun: Maverick (2022)  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

A++

The Cruise missile was on target baby! Action is top notch, score is incredible, acting is so good ... they gave another homoerotic/erotic in general scene, what more can anyone ask for. 

Only bad thing I can about this film is that they didn't show the trailer for MI7 before it got JW3 and Elvis instead (might not watch those 2 out of spite for not giving me greatness on the big screen)

Also I'm sure there will be a backlash with the country of origin of the villains which is unfortunate. 

Tied for best movie of the year so far with Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Potiki said:

A++

Also I'm sure there will be a backlash with the country of origin of the villains which is unfortunate. 

I’ve seen it twice now and confirmed last night that the country is never mentioned.  Even the planes are called “5th generation fighters” instead of MiGs. 

This is a movie you definitely need to see on the biggest screen possible.  

If I had to make a comparison, I’d say Top Gun is Toy Story and Maverick is Toy Story 2.

The original had more character building and iconic scenes, but the second is more polished. Pacing is excellent in Maverick with maybe only one scene I’d cut out.  It pays just the right amount of tribute to the original while vastly improving the dog fighting/cockpit scenes.  

The new batch of pilots get the job done but none are in the same league as Iceman or Goose.  It was great seeing Val on screen, especially after all he’s been through. 

4.6/5 

8 minutes ago, Jim Shorts said:

I’ve seen it twice now and confirmed last night that the country is never mentioned.  Even the planes are called “5th generation fighters” instead of MiGs. 

You are right, just looked into and my brain must have misheard uranium as Ukrainian the 3 or so times it was mentioned which is an unfortunate misheard piece of dialogue. 

1 hour ago, Potiki said:

You are right, just looked into and my brain must have misheard uranium as Ukrainian the 3 or so times it was mentioned which is an unfortunate misheard piece of dialogue. 

Funny because my friend thought he heard Iran, and I jokingly said he heard “Iranium”

• Haha 1

I enjoyed it. Some of the casting reflected Hollywood sensibilities but it wasn’t too distracting. Tom Cruise is as great as he was in the first film. The action was literally edge-of-the-seat for me, both in the training exercises and the main mission. There were some tear jerking moments as well. It has everything! The last 30 minutes of the film propelled it above the original. 

A

The movie felt a bit too short, especially 3rd act seem rushing. Lack of suspense buildup before the fast rush attack. Also, the movie named after maverick but I was hoping to see more scenes about new generation of pilots but sadly their scenes are just not enough. 

overall it is very intense experience and the practical effect and shunt are correctly spot on. Worth a second visit on big screen.

Overall really enjoyed it. The plane stuff was great and so was Maverick, Cruise kills it. The team was a bit underdeveloped and cliche, but they had good energy and the pacing helped cover it up. Left the theater feeling exhilarated. A. 

Edited by Menor Reborn

After an extended stay on the shelf amid many pandemic-related delays, Top Gun: Maverick proves to be worth the wait and then some. Director Joseph Kosinski’s legacy sequel is a remarkable crowd-pleaser with so many rousing, fist-pumping moments that it practically demands to be seen on the biggest screen with the biggest crowd. Where the 1986 film is a very noticeably kitschy popcorn flick whose appeal lies just as much in nostalgia and alternate readings as anything else on screen, Maverick works on its own terms as an action film with jaw-dropping set pieces and a surprisingly introspective affair that uses the passage of time and the fallout of events from the first film as the source of genuinely compelling drama. Kosinski delivers incredibly mounted action sequences that capture the wonder and danger of the flying the characters engage in, and he succeeds in generating a surprisingly high level of tension in the most significant sequences. The film also feels like it is very much in conversation with its predecessor and its cultural impact, which makes its many callbacks and references to the first film feel meaningful rather than like cynical fanservice. Moments that could have felt like cheap cash-ins on the original instead land with grace and poignancy. Reprising the title role, Tom Cruise gives a confident, committed, and emotionally affecting performance. He still has much of the bravado that made Maverick work in the original, but he is also successful in tempering it with lived-in feelings of regret. It’s his best work since Edge of Tomorrow. The ensemble around Cruise is also terrific, with notable work from Miles Teller as Goose’s son, and Jennifer Connelly in a carefully crafted performance whose subtleties allow it to feel like more than the stock love interest she appears to be on the page (much like her work in Kosinski’s preceding film, Only the Brave). Much will probably also be made of Val Kilmer’s return as Iceman, and it is merited; Kilmer’s appearance in the film is moving and adds real emotional heft to the proceedings. I will confess to being skeptical of the necessity of a Top Gun sequel for some time, even amid the existence of a solid trailer that I saw in front of dozens of movies after theaters started to reopen early last year. What we get here, however, is such an expertly and lovingly crafted blockbuster that its thrills, heart-tugging, and insightful reflections on its own source material are hard to resist. 

A-

• Like 1

An exhilarating, surprisingly emotional, and overall much more satisfying movie than the iconic original that ranks as the best action movie of the last several years. The writing is better, the action scenes possess a higher "wow!" factor, and it tones down the cheesier elements of the 1986 flick that render it very much a product of its era watching it today.

This is what the big screen was made for. The aerial fight sequences are absolutely breathtaking on a giant PLF screen, and a refreshing change of pace from the CGI-fests that dominate action tentpoles circa 2022. Director Joseph Kosinski (reuniting with Tom Cruise after Oblivion and with a couple of his cast members from his previous movie, 2017's masterful and criminally overlooked Only the Brave) and the producers have made great effort to ensure that the gargantuan budget shows up on the screen, and it does.

But as impressive as it is technically, what makes this work much better than the average blockbuster is that it never once forgets about the characters at the heart of it all. Tom Cruise slips back into the role that catapulted him to superstardom 36 years ago with ease, delivering a older Maverick that is less cocky and more introspective. He's abetted with a strong supporting cast that includes Miles Teller, Jennifer Connelly, Jon Hamm, and our new lord and savior Glen Powell, along with an emotional one scene return from Val Kilmer, but this is Cruise's movie all the way.

Most untimely sequels that languish in development hell for so long run the risk of disappointing by the time they eventually get made (Independence Day: Resurgence, anyone?). But not here. This is a top-notch sequel that was worth both the 36 years it took to hit screens and the 2 that it spent sitting on the shelf due to unforeseen circumstances.

A

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Am I the only one who thought the enemy was either Russia or Iran?

There were rumors that went around during the movie's lengthy delay that Russia was the enemy in this but the movie never specifies and keeps them anonymous, just like the enemies in the original.

• Like 1

On 5/29/2022 at 11:02 AM, filmlover said:

There were rumors that went around during the movie's lengthy delay that Russia was the enemy in this but the movie never specifies and keeps them anonymous, just like the enemies in the original.

I saw it at a test screening back in 2019 and it was always anonymous.

Loved it. Was a fan of the original. This is better. Tie in sequences to the original are very good like the one with the Iceman.

Superb actioner with heart. Tom Cruise turns in an excellent performance.

A+

• Like 1

I wasn't that interested in this until the news of the standing ovation at cinemacon this year. This is the best blockbuster I've seen on a technical level. Tommy boy is great. Miles Teller saves his career with his performance. But Glen Powell is the true breakout here. This film is what PLFs are for

A+