The Wild Eric

Top Gun: Maverick (2022)

Top Gun: Maverick (2022)  

50 members have voted

1. 1. What'd You Think?

On 5/29/2022 at 5:02 PM, filmlover said:

There were rumors that went around during the movie's lengthy delay that Russia was the enemy in this but the movie never specifies and keeps them anonymous, just like the enemies in the original.

They were clearly supposed to be interpreted as Soviets in the original film since they kept calling the enemy planes ”MiGs”, which were a Soviet brand. They’re still using Russian planes here, but they never refer to them by their model name, and the enemy faction is non-descriptively dubbed a ”rogue state”.

Edited by cookie

Amazing movie.

The only slower parts for me were the scenes witj Jennifer Connelly but honestly, even those were very tolerable. I really liked the humour in this, it was a lot funnier than i expected. My theater died laughing at the "You told me to not think!" line.

The action/plance scenes are just awesome. Rarely happens for me, but here i really though sometimes "How did they film this?".

9,5/10. Not perfect only because the Connelly scenes did slow the movie down for me at parts. Rest was a total blast.

• Like 1

Really great movie, very American - (some scenes felt almost to - in German I'd say pathetisch - meaning something like excessively loaded with emotions) - but it worked in the movie.

Also a surprisingly thought out story line.

Same as with @Brainbug the Dinosaur people laughed - you don't get that with every movie here (us germans tend to be rather silent - especially in the fourth week of a movie). Most laughter also at the "you told me not to think" line.

And it appeared really realistic - probably because they didn't use cgi for everything.

Could have done without most of the romance - the worst part honestly was the very end with her driving to him.

Overall it was a really great film - I'd say A+

Spoiler

Not yet really certain if it's actually an A+ or just an A but it really is an amazing movie.

Would have been even better if I didn't have a swollen ankle due to a stupid mosquito bite.

Also: one of the trailers was for MI7 (is it 7?)

Edited by Taruseth

Upon second viewing, the flaws are more apparent but it has the classic Bruckheimer energy that has been missing for WAY too long. It's great to see what is basically a well-done prime Bay/Bruckheimer film again. But:

• The award the most useless, generic, throwaway love interest in a TC film probably goes to the ever stunning Jennifer Connelly from this one. She could have shot all of her scenes in 1 day aside from the funeral.
  • Hangman/Glenn Powell doing a his moderate best Val Kilmer impression came off as awkward, primarily because people largely just don't act this way anymore.  
  • Miles Teller is less annoying than usual but the subplot about "You pulled my papers   " is clearly just random stuff made up to create some INNER conflict. 
  • The dog fights still pale in comparison to Bay's rousing PEARL HARBOR aerial battles.
  • Even in 2022  2019 when this was supposed to come out, TC's flirting is basically just him smiling?

The music and every possible visual is unreal.

A-/B+

• Like 1

On 6/6/2022 at 3:27 PM, MOVIEGUY said:

This is good fun. The plane scenes are thrilling. The scenes with Jennifer Connelly are "look at your phone" time. Zzzzz

She is beyond stunning but without a doubt those scenes were not needed whatsoever. 

Watched it in 3 different formats till date - 4DX, IMAX 2D & 2D.

Loved it every-time when i got to watch such insane action sequences filled, right amount of humour, emotion and all the necessary ingredient's to make an old school movie!

This movie had its heart at the right place...stayed true to its TG universe in terms of storyline, character arch's without any deviation...pretty straightforward..which is why it got that universal reach which most movies fail to crack such formula these days!

Best movie this year by miles in terms of theatrical Experience....10/10

Last but not the least happy Cruise is now part of the Billie club with this which was deprived for a last true action hero!

The plane scenes (specially the crazy last 40 minutes)  were exhilarating and had me scratching my neck out of stress (a good stress) all the way through. But even if I found the humour to be much better than expected, the characters likeable and decently acted, I did not care much for the "land" scenes. Apart from 2 or 3 standouts, most of those "land" scenes seem to only exist to get you to the next plane scene, and tone and pacing suffer because of it; its not really that they feel too long, but rather that they dont feel properly connected to each other, most of the good scenes are still good, but any attempts to create any engaging drama that runs through the movie falls flat because of it.  But I had so much fun with the plane scenes that I can forgive all of that and more

A- or B+, not sure

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

This didn't hold up for me as well at home. Watching it in theaters you kind of forget the fact that half the movie is people in military bases or beachside houses delivering somewhat stale dialogue, and the other half is all the genuinely great stuff. I even felt the length more than I did before. Still a good film, though.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

I seem to be the only person in the world to have a very meh reaction to this….maybe it’s cause I didn’t grow up with the original, maybe I don’t care that much if “it was REALLY filmed with real aircraft!”.I don’t know but to me this was VERY basic.

5 minutes ago, Melosh said:

I seem to be the only person in the world to have a very meh reaction to this….maybe it’s cause I didn’t grow up with the original, maybe I don’t care that much if “it was REALLY filmed with real aircraft!”.I don’t know but to me this was VERY basic.

…….Jennifer Connelly was the one redeeming factor to this 🤓😆

Edited by Melosh