The Wild Eric

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I'd be up for another I Know What You Did Last Summer movie... Bring 'em all back! I Know What You Did That Summer.

Make the killer a time traveler.

I Know What You Will Do Next Summer.

• Astonished 2

Just now, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Make the killer a time traveler.

I Know What You Will Do Next Summer.

Add a multiverse aspect since those are "in" right now - I know what you will do across all summers

• Astonished 1

Also think crossovers of brands with synergies could be another big trend to come. The MIB+21 Jump Street combo would have been extremely interesting to see play out. 

12 minutes ago, excel1 said:

There is definitely some potent untapped financial potential for nostalgia of early-mid 2000s  as younger millennial come of age. The McGuire boost to NWH is a solid testament to this, IMO. 

I agree. I think making a sequel to Revenge of the Sith could be a good idea. Maybe it could even follow Anakin's son and bring back Obi-Wan in a mentor role. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

I agree. I think making a sequel to Revenge of the Sith could be a good idea. Maybe it could even follow Anakin's son and bring back Obi-Wan in a mentor role. 

They should just make SPIDER-MAN 4 and make it a Spider-Man comeback film ala TDKR. Bring back Dunst, etc. It would be a big hit.

Edited by excel1

Meh, I loved the Austin Powers movies in middle school and can still quote extensively from them, and even I don’t really want to see that franchise resurrected. Throw in the fact that Mike Myers is infamously mercurial on set and bottomed out hard with The Love Guru, and I don’t think the powers that be are going to take a chance on another movie.

As others have said, Top Gun: Maverick is a unique case where the star is still basically making the same kinds of big movies at a highly physical level and where the passage of time lends itself well to the story. Nostalgia is a major factor in its favor, no doubt, but it’s a very different legacy sequel than, say, something like Ghostbusters: Afterlife.

Speaking of 2000s nostalgia, why not make new Harry Potter and LOTR movies? In both cases, it would be very easy to give the villains a comeback, that has now proven to be an ingenious writing choice on behalf of Hollywood:

Both Voldemort and Sauron ... could somehow return.

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

1 minute ago, Webslinger said:

Meh, I loved the Austin Powers movies in middle school and can still quote extensively from them, and even I don’t really want to see that franchise resurrected. Throw in the fact that Mike Myers is infamously mercurial on set and bottomed out hard with The Love Guru, and I don’t think the powers that be are going to take a chance on another movie.

As others have said, Top Gun: Maverick is a unique case where the star is still basically making the same kinds of big movies at a highly physical level and where the passage of time lends itself well to the story. Nostalgia is a major factor in its favor, no doubt, but it’s a very different legacy sequel than, say, something like Ghostbusters: Afterlife.

TG:M is a legit mega blockbuster. I don't think anyones expect for au Austin Powers 4 or Legally Blonde 3 should be even remotely close to TG:M level. Spider-man 4 w/ McGuire and Dunst might have similar potential to TG:M, though.

Just now, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Speaking of 2000s nostalgia, why not make new Harry Potter and LOTR movies? In both cases, it would be very easy to give the villains a comeback, that has now proven to be an ingenious writing choice on behalf of Hollywood:

WB would without question make HP9 in a heartbeat, but the stars haven't aligned for it just yet. 

23 minutes ago, excel1 said:

There is definitely some potent untapped financial potential for nostalgia of early-mid 2000s  as younger millennial come of age. The McGuire boost to NWH is a solid testament to this, IMO. 

A fellow movie buff friend pitched the idea of having "Legally Blonde 3" serve as an unabashed throwback to the era that directly preceded social media and fill it a combination of the failed "next big stars" from that time ala Jessica Alba, Josh Hartnett, Freddie Prinze Jr, Julia Stiles, etc.  

They have already filmed Leaglly Blonde 3 and it is in the can awaiting release.  

Austin Powers is very much a product of its time, I don't see that working today

9 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Lord of the Rings universe is going to Amazon Prime now, and Sauron will be the main antagonist in it

Edited by Ozymandias

7 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

The most assured thing in the history of cinema is that they will make multiple Harry Potter sequels with the original cast.  We are about 8-10 years away from it happening.  Once that cast hits their early 40's, it is absolutely going to happen.  

• Like 1

Ghostbusters Afterlife would have been way bigger domestically if they had focused on the original cast (maybe they are old and getting ready to retire and are training new Ghostbusters) and had comedic elements like the first two. Why that was so hard I don’t understand 

Just now, EmpireCity said:

The most assured thing in the history of cinema is that they will make multiple Harry Potter sequels with the original cast.  We are about 8-10 years away from it happening.  Once that cast hits their early 40's, it is absolutely going to happen.  

Honestly, i also see no way how that doesnt happen. Its too much of an oppurtunity to make some big money.

I just hope when they eventually make it that they have a good story to tell with them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ringedmortality said:

I feel like just a little while ago Kailing said she was still writing the script. Guess they got on that quick.

Well fuck me.  I thought it was already shot and done.  You are correct, they haven't even shot it.  

Whoops.  

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Ghostbusters Afterlife would have been way bigger domestically if they had focused on the original cast (maybe they are old and getting ready to retire and are training new Ghostbusters) and had comedic elements like the first two. Why that was so hard I don’t understand 

that and if they had not already tried a high profile reboot just a few years prior. 

1 minute ago, John Marston said:

I disagree on this.  If the new movie would have focused on the original cast (Murray was never going to do anything more than a cameo) it would have been really painful to watch and think it is a huge bomb.  

It worked because of the kids, the mom, Paul Rudd and the elements like ECTO1 and the Ghostbuster tech.  The old guys hamming it up at the end was the worst part.  

• Like 3