The Wild Eric

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

11 minutes ago, BruiseCruise said:

"Somehow Voldemort returned"

"& all of the good from the previous 9 films has been undone!"

Edited by excel1

Welp. I bought my iMax ticket for top gun this evening. All imax showings for today and tomorrow are sold out at my near by theater so I have to go to a town nearby to see the movie today. And even that showing is almost sold out. I’m in NC so I guess the boomers are coming out in force this weekend.

Just now, Noctis said:

HP9 will be the new TFA in terms of hype and box office success (though I can't see it doing less than $2b if they make it decent at the very least). 

I think WB needs to get it out sooner than 10+ years from now, though.

Although I wish Potter would be left alone. But I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't be a blubbering mess the moment I see the trio in a trailer 

I would rather have entirely new adventures...

21 minutes ago, excel1 said:

They should just make SPIDER-MAN 4 and make it a Spider-Man comeback film ala TDKR. Bring back Dunst, etc. It would be a big hit.

Make a Logan Style spiderman movie with Maguire. Don't tie it in with any cinematic universe whatsoever. Just do a rough, beautiful, emotional tale about an older Spidey. Have Sam Raimi to direct. Give him full control. Watch Box Office explode

45 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

The reason why Top Gun: Maverick works as a sequel 36 years later is pretty simple and straight forward.....

- Advances in aviation and filming technology allowed this movie to happen in a thrilling and interesting way.  It is beautifully shot with minimal CGI and the hook of all the actors actually flying in F-18's is incredible.  

- Tom Cruise, despite being 56 years old when this movie filmed, is still in fantastic shape and is completely believable in the role.

- The story is simple with some nostalgia, but fresh enough to attract all audiences.    

The issue with nearly every other sequel from the 80's that people are thinking of is that you can't really bring the original cast back in a meaningful way.  They are either too old or too fat to be pleasing to the eye and entertaining on screen. 

I would add another reason - it didn't try to replace Cruise or pass the torch or be about another character with Cruise just in the movie. Too many nostalgia movies only use the original cast members to lure fans but are actually about passing the torch or already new cast in place. Which isn't what fans signed up for or wished to happen. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, excel1 said:

I think WB needs to get it out sooner than 10+ years from now, though.

10 years from now makes them 42 years old.  It's the perfect age to have the original fans of the fiilm be at the age they can wallow in the nostalgia and their kids the perfect age to watch the old movies, read the books and become obsessed with it.  

Much earlier than that and it won't hit nearly as deep.  

They will make a new set of films from like 42-50 years old and then another 20 years down the road can do it again when they are in their 70's.  Rinse.  Repeat.  

I'm so proud of The Lost City. After week 2, its chances of $100m were very slim but it now reached that mark! Thanks to its solid performance overseas, it will gain profitability. This has been the year of Paramount and Channing Tatum and Sandra Bullock's comeback!

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

Make a Logan Style spiderman movie with Maguire. Don't tie it in with any cinematic universe whatsoever. Just do a rough, beautiful, emotional tale about an older Spidey. Have Sam Raimi to direct. Give him full control. Watch Box Office explode

I'd love to see something like that, but it's not gonna happen. It should have zero ties to cinematic universe/toy commercial bs and 100% standalone story to be anywhere near good, but I don't think it's possible and therefore no reason to make it. Real Spider-Man 4 died in 2009.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

Honey I Shrunk The Kids already has a sequel that is going on Disney+ at some point (if they in fact moved forward with it) that has Moranis and Josh Gad.  

Austin Powers 4 can't work unless Mike Myers loses 40 pounds and finds a time machine.  

I’ve thought the solution is recast Austin with Eddie Redmayne but Myers still plays his other characters, lean into the Bond recasting jokes.

32 minutes ago, Grebacio said:

They already played the nostalgia card with NWH though, it's not gonna have the same impact now

• Sad 1

36 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I disagree on this.  If the new movie would have focused on the original cast (Murray was never going to do anything more than a cameo) it would have been really painful to watch and think it is a huge bomb.  

It worked because of the kids, the mom, Paul Rudd and the elements like ECTO1 and the Ghostbuster tech.  The old guys hamming it up at the end was the worst part.  

I think he meant more of a legacy sequel with old crew training next generation of Ghostbusters, with old crew in prominent supporting roles and adult big name actors as new Ghostbusters. It was a perfect concept, it would've made much more than Afterlife 100%, if it was done when Ramis was alive and if Fiege's Ghostbusters never happened.

Nostalgia is a helluva drug but I think we're under estimating two factors.

1) The confidence Paramount had in this movie allowed them to let critics review the film. There was hype but once people heard the film was something special and it had 100% on Rotten Tomatoes it took it to whole other level.

2) An underserved demographic having blue balls for a great movie experience. Let's be honest. There hasn't been many crowd pleasers for older people in quite some time. So if you weren't an Avengers or Spider-man fan you were left out of the fun. So when a great movie experience for older people finally hits it's a zeitgeist.

• Like 5