Eric Atreides

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

6 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Wait, so Top Gun is flopping now? No 100M OW? So much hype for nothing.

Nice. Flop Gun declared before weve even got a Thursday Preview number.

While not peak BOT, this is a good starting point.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Nice. Flop Gun declared before weve even got a Thursday Preview number.

While not peak BOT, this is a good starting point.

Flop Gun it is then. I cant believe I fell for the hype. There was no way a movie like this was gonna do 100M OW.

Just now, CJohn said:

Flop Gun it is then. I cant believe I fell for the hype. There was no way a movie like this was gonna do 100M OW.

A False Hero. Deceived we were, into thinking cinema could be rescued from the Empire of Evil (Disney). But true salvation is only possible through the POWER of the dinosaurs.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

A False Hero. Deceived we were, into thinking cinema could be rescued from the Empire of Evil (Disney). But true salvation is only possible through the POWER of the dinosaurs.

The dinos are coming to flop next.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3
  • Astonished 1
  • Sad 1
  • ...wtf 1
  • Disbelief 1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, CJohn said:

When it opens with a floppy 175M we will be here to drink your tears.

citizen GIF

175M, judging by my Dominion meltdown metrics would produce a lot of tears actually.

2 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

175M, judging by my Dominion meltdown metrics would produce a lot of tears actually.

I've figured it out. You're part of the conspiracy Brainbug. All these box office trackers saying that Dominion has the possibility to surpass the 1st JW is a conspiracy of purposeful overprediction to when Dominion inevitably outperforms FK by a large margin it'll still look like a flop in comparison because it didn't meet the metric of 200M+. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Alex SciChannel said:

I've figured it out. You're part of the conspiracy Brainbug. All these box office trackers saying that Dominion has the possibility to surpass the 1st JW is a conspiracy of purposeful overprediction to when Dominion inevitably outperforms FK by a large margin it'll still look like a flop in comparison because it didn't meet the metric of 200M+. 

Nah im just a hopeless fanboy i think.

Besides all the joking, anything above 100M for Top Gun is a massive, massive success for the kind of movie it is. With the stellar reviews and the amazing WOM it received so far, it will probably also have very good legs for a Memorial Day opener. 3rd week will hit it hard cause of my dinos stealing Top Gun the PLF formats, but overall, 300M+ should be very safe imo even if the OW is lower than we expected.

And even then, its only Thursday (well here in Germany its Friday already ... but you know what i mean), so the numbers could still come in a lot bigger than something like 100-120M 3 Day.

Lets wait and see.

• Like 6

I really hope Top Gun is a massive success in the end, despite all the alarms in the thread, because I don't want to find out that western audience tastes became even worse than China's audience tastes after pandemic. People get what they pay for. If they pay only for horrible Disney stuff and ignore all the quality stuff with an actual effort put into it, they shouldn't be surprised why they get mostly the worst possible stuff.

Edited by Firepower
  • Like 7

2 minutes ago, Xavier said:

Just saw it and loved. Great fun, dogfights, camaraderie. A sure win.

Why are some people satisfied with predicting doom? What kind of sick satisfaction they derive from it?

Idk. It's a def 10/10 movie. But even many "bad" movies don't deserve to fail.