The Wild Eric

TOP GUN MAVERICK/MEMORIAL DAY WEEKEND THREAD | 126.7M 3-Day, 160.5M 4-Day. The biggest Memorial Day opening ever! | Doctor Strange 20.5M 4-Day, Bob's Burgers 14.8M

45 minutes ago, Menor Reborn said:

Where are you getting the dislike count from?

There are browser extensions for that (such as return youtube dislike). But the dislike count that these extensions show are not 100% accurate since its based on multiple factors and extrapolation rather than pulling the data directly from Youtube. But it gives a fairly good estimate for where things stand

• Like 1

Just now, CJohn said:

The Cruise Missile is going to be in the top 10 until mid July. Bonkers.

4th of July weekend and Father's Day weekend should be very kind to it as well. As long as it can finish above $400m domestically, it will the BO story of the summer. Plus, Tom Cruise (based on various sources) got a 88-120 day exclusive theatrical window.

• Like 6

58 minutes ago, CJohn said:

These 90 minutes episodes of Stranger Things are PAIN. 

100% convinced the new episodes are so damn long because Netflix have started releasing their viewership statistics in "hours watched" in the last year. it's like those rappers that release 30 track albums to juice up their streaming numbers.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

5 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

100% convinced the new episodes are so damn long because Netflix have started releasing their viewership statistics in "hours watched" in the last year. it's like those rappers that release 30 track albums to juice up their streaming numbers.

It is fucking ridiculous. The episodes are endless. By the 60 minutes mark in the first episode literally nothing plot wise had happened yet.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LegendaryBen said:

4th of July weekend and Father's Day weekend should be very kind to it as well. As long as it can finish above $400m domestically, it will the BO story of the summer. Plus, Tom Cruise (based on various sources) got a 88-120 day exclusive theatrical window.

The contract was done before the pandemic and Cruise made sure it remained unchanged so yeah, this one has a 90+ day window.

Top ten grossing films of 1986. I think Crocodile Dundee was actually the big surprise of the year 

1 Top Gun Paramount $176,781,728
2 Crocodile Dundee $174,803,506
3 Platoon Orion $138,530,565
4 The Karate Kid Part II Columbia $115,103,979
5 Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home Paramount $109,713,132
6 Back to School Orion $91,258,000
7 Aliens Fox $86,160,248
8 The Golden Child Paramount $79,817,937
9 Ruthless People Disney $71,624,879
10 Ferris Bueller's Day Off Paramount $70,136,169

1 hour ago, EmpireCity said:

He can blame the following....

- Focus/Universal for a TERRIBLE release date

- Awful, late starting marketing plan

- Himself / Covid for the giant budget overrun.  

- Universal/Comcast for their idiotic 17 day window

It's a fantastic film, but a very very challenging film that doesn't have a giant mainstream audience for it.  It's gory, it's bloody, it's gross and it's unsettling.  

I love that it got made, but it had zero shot to make it's budget back on a theatrical run.  

I'm still bummed by The Northman's international performance. I thought Europe would bite

i love that "what if there was an australian man?" was a good enough premise to fuel a gigantic hit in the 80s. for the most part it's not even like high comedy situations he just comes to new york and is mildly confused about stuff. people doing backflips over this back then.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, T-ReXXR said:

Wait until they release the final 2 episodes of the season in July. They're 4 hours combined:hahaha:

I am aware. An actual nightmare.

5 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

I'm still bummed by The Northman's international performance. I thought Europe would bite

Europe didn't bite for The Last Duel either and that had much more going for it.

Edited by CJohn

11 minutes ago, John Marston said:

Top ten grossing films of 1986. I think Crocodile Dundee was actually the big surprise of the year 

1 Top Gun Paramount $176,781,728
2 Crocodile Dundee $174,803,506
3 Platoon Orion $138,530,565
4 The Karate Kid Part II Columbia $115,103,979
5 Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home Paramount $109,713,132
6 Back to School Orion $91,258,000
7 Aliens Fox $86,160,248
8 The Golden Child Paramount $79,817,937
9 Ruthless People Disney $71,624,879
10 Ferris Bueller's Day Off Paramount $70,136,169

Go and look at the world wide grosses of the Crocodile Dundee trilogy.  It did like $1b.  

I am surprised more people are not identifying this as the biggest Movie Star Opening Weekend of all time (not adjusted for inflation).

This is a film that was marketed and sold to audiences as a Tom Cruise event film. 

Yes it's a sequel, but it's a sequel to a Tom Cruise branded star vehicle.

If you go down the list of all time opening domestic weekends (unadjusted), the top ones are all IP dependent, franchises or sequels (or animated). #2 on the list in terms of what I would refer to as "Movie Star Opening Weekends" would probably be I AM LEGEND.

What does this group of box office aficionados think of this assessment?

• Like 5

the scary thing about stranger things is that this isn't even the last season. i assumed it was with all the epic runtimes but if you think this is bad just wait until they get peter jackson to direct every episode of season 5.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

45 minutes ago, Pinacolada said:

If marketing there was as bad as it was here in the US, I'm not surprised. The movie itself was great though.  

Maverick is so satisfying and well made that it more than lives up to the hype. 

Edited by EmmaPeel