Eric Duncan

Smile | Paramount | September 30, 2022 | The 10th most profitable movie of 2022

I suspected this might turn out good because it's having previews here tonight which only happens for event films, and this is an original horror with an unknown cast so the only reason Paramount would be pushing it more than usual was that it might be good. But the trailer didn't impress me at all.

Saw this on Sunday. Pretty good. Which may be saying something considering just how many movies like this completely fumble the ball. Ironically though, me having seen Barbarian just a few weeks earlier may have made me like this less. Compared to that, this was somewhat predictable. 

I don't know how notable this is, but my showing had multiple groups walk out and not return at various points. 

This was something else. Some really disturbing moments and visuals, and overall it is a very tense movie and very well directed. The birthday scene made my jaw drop. The jump scare at the car's window with the sister is carved in my mind and the demon will hunt my nightmares forever.

https://deadline.com/2023/04/smile-box-office-profits-1235314864/

HE BOTTOM LINE

The pic’s streaming and TV revenues of $80M include the money Paramount pays itself to distribute the movie on Paramount+. That’s a new post-pandemic financial practice whereby studios must pay themselves to send their titles to their own streaming services, which in some cases is a Pay One TV window for some. Smile hit Paramount+ and digital on November 15, 47 days after it amassed over $103M in theaters. The movie also had a pay-TV window on MGM+ (formerly Epix), which is where Paramount has its deal. Participations here thanks to a theatrical debut yielded $15M to Finn, Temple Hill and the pic’s stars. The upside to going theatrical here instead of streaming? A $101M net profit after all ancillaries.

• Like 1