Best Actor Predictions: 2022

On 8/8/2022 at 3:53 PM, filmlover said:

Early predictions that are likely to change:

Austin Butler, Elvis

Adam Driver, White Noise

Brendan Fraser, The Whale

Hugh Jackman, The Son

Bill Nighy, Living

I agree with this list. I think Hugh Jackman is gonna pull an upset and snatch the Oscar out from Brendan. Hugh's performance is said to be amazing

I agreed with your list yesterday, but I think i'm gonna take Driver out of this list

On 8/8/2022 at 3:53 PM, filmlover said:

Early predictions that are likely to change:

Austin Butler, Elvis

Adam Driver, White Noise

Brendan Fraser, The Whale

Hugh Jackman, The Son

Bill Nighy, Living

Edited by Maggie

Yeah, Driver seems to be out now with the White Noise reactions.

Curious to see if A24 is able to work any magic with The Inspection which is premiering at TIFF and opening in November. Jeremy Pope is a quickly rising star who has already picked up two Tony nominations for a pair of different plays in his first Broadway season and an Emmy nomination for his major TV project. Given that he's originally from Florida I feel like I have no choice but to stan so go Jeremy go!

• Like 1

I feel like Austin Butler is going to win in an landslide. The Son trailer isn't impressive. Fraser will have sentiment and narrative but Elvis sorta feels undeniable and voters rarely resist a biographical transformation. Plus, Whale is Aronofsky and is bound to be somewhat divisive. A24 has their hands full with Everything Everywhere and The Whale is curiously lacking Telluride screenings

• Like 1

I have Butler winning as well. I think this Best Actor category is the weakest in years and he is the one with the box office and the momentum. Pope, Jackman, and Nighy are all nominees in my predictions but in the heat of Oscar season I just don't see any of their movies being big enough to win the bake off against Butler.

• Like 1

The Whale will be very divisive for multiple reasons. We'll see with the Son - hopefully it is better than the trailer, and if it is, I do agree that Jackman is probably the main competition.

Butler was awesome. They gave it to Rami even though Rami didn't sing at all and acted poorly. Butler sang most of it and was a great actor, so yeah, he deserves it if Rami won, that's for sure!

Butler is sensational in Elvis but his winning chances are likely going to depend on how big a contender the movie ends up being and how his competition will turn out. Many will point to Malek's win but keep in mind his narrative was completely different since he was already a really accomplished actor (Emmy winner, multiple Golden Globe and SAG nominations) before making Bohemian Rhapsody, while Butler's filmography before this movie (excluding OUATIH) is largely made up of stuff no childless grown up, let alone Academy member, would dare watch (I completely forgot Aliens in the Attic was something that actually existed lmao). I can see them wanting to hold off on rewarding someone who has yet to fully establish themselves, but with the right narrative, there might be a path to a win.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

Austin Butler

Diego Calva

Colin Farrell

Brendan Fraser

Bill Nighy

Butler vs Fraser for the win. I lean Butler. A24's big priority will be Everything Everywhere and Whale will have some divineness. Fraser's narrative can only go so far ala Chadwick Boseman and Mickey Rourke. Elvis made over 150m domestically and biopic performances usually win out. Farrell will be a solid 3rd and do well with critic prizes.

BP correlates strongly with this category so I go Diego Calva. He's the true lead of Babylon and it makes sense he'd be voted down the line by the film's huge block of supporters.

The last spot is tricky. I can imagine Cruise receiving a SAG nom, although they have snubbed populist films such as The Martian, Logan, and nobody from Black Panther received solo noms. I truly cannot imagine the acting branch of the Academy biting that performance, however. The Son tanked at Venice and TIFF therefore Living will be the big Sony Classic push. Nighy is a veteran who has never been nominated before and the film has had festival presence since Sundance

• Like 1

Driver deserves nominated for White Noise. I believe it's one of his best performances (I rank it above Marriage Story and Black Klansman in terms of his noms). He's physically transformed, his posture hunched and ghoulish, and his comedic timing never sharper. It's a very dense role and he pulls it off with audacity. However, it's unlikely to happen. At least he should get a Globe nomination.

• Like 1

• Like 1

I think Colin Farrell is taking this. His movie is apparently stellar too, unlike The Whale.

My predictions, in order of chances to win

Colin Farrell

Brendan Fraser

Austin Butler

Bill Nighy

Hugh Jackman/ Jeremy Pope

Edited by Maggie
  • Like 1