filmlover

Best Supporting Actor Predictions: 2022

Willem Dafoe, Poor Things

Robert De Niro, Killers of Flower Moon

Brad Pitt, Babylon

Jesse Plemons, Killers of Flower Moon

Ke Huy Quan, Everything Everywhere

Pitt is in, but is he lead? I suppose they keep him Supporting. I'm betting on Dafoe. It's going to be a showy Lanthimos film from Searchlight and he's playing Dr. Frankenstein. The overdue buzz will kick in for him, but he's also somebody who might be Leading. Everything Everywhere is the sensation of the year and Quan is the second largest role delivering a layered and emotional performance. Finally, I have double Flower Moon over Dano in Fabelmans. Double noms have become common and both Plemons and DeNiro have strong roles in a Scorsese film

ALT:

Don Cheadle, White Noise

Paul Dano, The Fabelmans

Zen McGrath, The Son

Harry Styles, Don't Worry Darling

Michael Ward, Empire of Light

Ben Whishaw, Women Talking

Someone from Thirteen Lives (Viggo/Farrell/Edgerton)

Anthony Hopkins was singled out for praise in every Armageddon Time review I read and given the character type (wise, beloved, morally upstanding Grandpa) it shouldn't take much for him to get another nod.

2 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

Anthony Hopkins was singled out for praise in every Armageddon Time review I read and given the character type (wise, beloved, morally upstanding Grandpa) it shouldn't take much for him to get another nod.

Depends on where Focus dates it. Assume it's going to either November or December since so far the only thing they have dated for the fourth quarter is Tar (October 7).

Updated predictions:

Paul Dano, The Fabelmans

Brendan Gleeson, The Banshees of Inisherin

Barry Keoghan, The Banshees of Inisherin

Brad Pitt, Babylon

Ke Huy Quan, Everything Everywhere All at Once

I think this is it tbh. Judd Hirsch probably needed more scenes to be a stronger contender. Ben Whishaw's in a movie that seems to be getting more weak as a contender each day and is even seeing its much-buzzed actress contenders getting snubbed. Eddie Redmayne strikes me as a potential Globe and (if nominated there) SAG nominee that misses on nomination morning. And I thought for a moment that Hanks would've been a coattail nomination behind Butler for a movie that's looking to be a top contender, but if he couldn't happen at the Globes of all places...

• Like 1

Final predictions:

1. Ke Huy Quan, Everything Everywhere All At Once

2. Brendan Gleeson, The Banshees of Inisherin

3. Barry Keoghan, The Banshees of Inisherin

4. Paul Dano, The Fabelmans

5. Eddie Redmayne, The Good Nurse

ALT: Brad Pitt, Babylon

First 3 are set.

Fabelmans flopped this award season. I question its ability to get 2 noms here, especially when both contenders have been weak. Hirsch has received more buzz, is a veteran and has a showstopping sequence but it's still a small role. Dano is more subtle but it's a larger role and he's due for a nomination.

Last spot is wacky. Eddie Redmayne is the ideal Oscar snub but he has truly made everything while his competition flopped such as Brad Pitt.

I think I'm gonna go with Dano/Gleeson/Keoghan/Pitt/Quan with Redmayne as the surprise snub. Babylon is obviously This Had Oscar Buzz City ala Nine, but that still managed to get Cruz an afterglow nomination and Pitt makes the most sense here (and is clearly in no danger of getting cancelled).

Edited by filmlover

On 1/19/2023 at 8:50 PM, filmlover said:

I think I'm gonna go with Dano/Gleeson/Keoghan/Pitt/Quan with Redmayne as the surprise snub. Babylon is obviously This Had Oscar Buzz City ala Nine, but that still managed to get Cruz an afterglow nomination and Pitt makes the most sense here (and is clearly in no danger of getting cancelled).

I have to agree again. Pitt in that fifth slot for me too.