filmlover

Best Supporting Actress Predictions: 2022

Right now I'm thinking

Laura Dern, The Son

Lily Gladstone, Killers of Flower Moon

Sadie Sink, The Whale

Jean Smart, Babylon

Michelle Williams, The Fabelmans

Williams should be safely in and competing for the win. Gladstone has a juicy role and an appealing narrative of goodwill in a major Scorsese film. The question is category placement. Another concern for Laura Dern and The Son. Playing the divorced mother/wife of a depressed son in Zeller's Father followup puts her in the mix. Easy coattail. Jean Smart is having a career resurgence and should easily be swept in for Babylon even though the role is small. Last spot, I'm going Sadie Sink. This category is dominated by coattails and she's playing daughter of Fraser in The Whale. The buzz of Stranger Things gives her a lot of good notice, too.

OTHER CONTENDERS:

Jessie Buckley, Women Talking

Patricia Clarkson, She Said

Hong Chau, The Whale

Sally Field, Spoiler Alert

Greta Gerwig, White Noise (Lead?)

Nina Hoss, TAR

Early predictions:

Laura Dern, The Son

Jean Smart, Babylon

Michelle Williams, The Fabelmans

One of the She Said women (Patricia Clarkson, Samantha Morton...maybe they'll try frauding one of Mulligan/Kazan into this category)

One of the Women Talking women (Jessie Buckley, Claire Foy, Rooney Mara, Frances McDormand...will become clear once more details come out)

• Like 1

Wut. Well this throws things for a loop. Crazy.

Edited by filmlover

9 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Let's see if this lasts, I remember when Christoph Waltz was going to go lead for Django Unchained.

This actually reminds me of when it was announced Colman would be going Lead for The Favourite and Stone/Weisz would be in Supporting (when everyone figured Stone would go Lead as the biggest star) and everyone figured Colman was just lucky to be nominated when that year was shaping up to be Glenn's Moment At Last (with Gaga as the alternative frontrunner).

We all know how that ended.

On the other hand, this category might be the most open of all the acting ones now. Exciting tbh.

• Astonished 1

40 minutes ago, filmlover said:

This actually reminds me of when it was announced Colman would be going Lead for The Favourite and Stone/Weisz would be in Supporting (when everyone figured Stone would go Lead as the biggest star) and everyone figured Colman was just lucky to be nominated when that year was shaping up to be Glenn's Moment At Last (with Gaga as the alternative frontrunner).

We all know how that ended.

On the other hand, this category might be the most open of all the acting ones now. Exciting tbh.

Maybe, though I've seen people who've viewed The Fabelmans say Williams is clearly supporting and are surprised by this news. AMPAS can always go their own way despite the studio campaign, Lakeith wasn't that long ago.

But if the placement sticks, I guess Foy or Buckley is the frontrunner? It's also good news for Stephanie Hsu.

Edited by BoxOfficeFangrl

27 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

Maybe, though I've seen people who've viewed The Fabelmans say Williams is clearly supporting and are surprised by this news. AMPAS can always go their own way despite the studio campaign, Lakeith wasn't that long ago.

But if the placement sticks, I guess Foy or Buckley is the frontrunner? It's also good news for Stephanie Hsu.

Maybe, although the only ones who feel safe at the moment are at least one of Buckley/Foy (and the chance that if both are nominated they cancel each other out for the win) and Jean Smart. It's a really open category.

• Like 1

Jessie Buckley/Claire Foy

Kerry Condon

Hong Chau

Dolly De Leon

Jean Smart

ALT:

Sally Field

Nina Hoss

Janelle Monae

Gabrielle Union

This is bleak. 

At least one from Women Talking gets in. Unsure if the film is strong enough for 2 or if the roles stand out enough. But at least one. 

This is a category dominated by coattails and namechecks of bigger movies/performances. Makes sense for Jean Smart in Babylon (who is also having a career resurgence), Hong Chau (who has more of an advantage than Sadie Sink) and Kerry Condon riding off the buzz of Banshees. Last spot, I'll go with Dolly De Leon. Triangle of Sadness is a borderline BP contender, audience pleaser, and her role was buzzed at Cannes. 

Janelle Monae is possible, but perhaps it is too populist a role and she didn't exactly breakout as the MVP of Glass Onion. Nina Hoss could sneak in if Tar and Blanchett voters throw her a bone. Union isn't going to happen but her reviews were strong. Sally Field was a possibility but Spoiler Alert has no buzz

• Like 1

4 hours ago, filmlover said:

Watch Mulligan also be frauded into Supporting two years in a row when the Leonard Bernstein biopic arrives next year lol.

It probably depends on how competitive the categories are next year, and if this year's gambit works. She Said's reviews aren't great so it may not.

50 minutes ago, BoxOfficeFangrl said:

It probably depends on how competitive the categories are next year, and if this year's gambit works. She Said's reviews aren't great so it may not.

This is easily the most chaotic of all the acting categories this year that probably won't become clear until the precursors start to happen so I wouldn't discount her yet, even if She Said will clearly end up a filler nominee at best if it gets nominated for BP (I think Adapted Screenplay is the only category it's a sure thing for a nomination at the moment). Williams moving to Lead really messed things up here, especially when there's still some contenders like Jean Smart (who could easily end up not happening if it turns out she doesn't have enough screen time in Babylon like I get a feeling is the case) that haven't been seen yet. Foy and Buckley are the only ones I feels confident will make it for now.

• Like 1

Jessie Buckley, Women Talking

Kerry Condon, The Banshees of Inisherin

Dolly De Leon, Triangle of Sadness

Claire Foy, Women Talking

Carey Mulligan, She Said

I'm feeling bullish on Dolly, so far it seems like the industry seems to really like Triangle of Sadness, and she keeps getting singled out. I could even see a suite where it just takes Screenplay and Supporting Actress nods.

Big question marks are if Margot Robbie actually does go supporting instead of lead and if EEAAO remains strong enough to carry Hsu (or in a hot-dog-finger-level-ridiculous world, Curtis) with it.

With Actress getting as crowded as it is, I'm not convinced that Universal is gonna keep Williams as lead, especially since, as discussed, her odds of winning shoot up exponentially if here.

Either way, imagine a scenario where there aren't really big names and we see a line up like Hsu, De Leon, Condon, Mbedu...okay probably not realistic but I CAN DREAM DAMNIT!!!

• Like 1