EmpireCity

Weekend Thread (6/3-5) | Top Gun 2 drops 29% for 90M. The smallest second weekend drop ever for a 100M+ opener!

Also, @Shawn, as an olive branch we can get the weekend started now.  

Number is looking to be $22m for Friday with hopefully $23m possible.  Should be at $53m by the end of Saturday and right around $75m by the end of Sunday.  

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 6

4 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Also, @Shawn, as an olive branch we can get the weekend started now.  

Number is looking to be $22m for Friday with hopefully $23m possible.  Should be at $53m by the end of Saturday and right around $75m by the end of Sunday.  

Just letting you know you can make your own weekend thread when you get new weekend information. It's very annoying that I have to move a post out of a thread when a user can just hit the "Create New Thread" button.

7 minutes ago, Ryan Reynolds said:

west coast shows just starting , lets see how accurate this is

Yep.  It's a super early number, could change some either way.  Trying to be conservative with it.  

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Eric Mitchell said:

Just letting you know you can make your own weekend thread when you get new weekend information. It's very annoying that I have to move a post out of a thread when a user can just hit the "Create New Thread" button.

I tried that once and ended up being the 3rd weekend thread started.  Lol.  

• Haha 6

2 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

I tried that once and ended up being the 3rd weekend thread started.  Lol.  

Cool. But since you got insider information on this kind of stuff, you would not be the third person to start it.

1 minute ago, Eric Mitchell said:

Cool. But since you got insider information on this kind of stuff, you would not be the third person to start it.

Heard.  My scanning of threads sucks.  Thanks Eric for starting it.  

3 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

how much does this need to make over the weekend so that we make this face:ohmygod:

Well, most seem to be expecting at least $70-75M so I think to legitimately used an “astonished” face at this point it would have to begin with an 8…

• Like 4

It is indeed early but we may need to temper expectations for today. Things seems to be noticeably cooler at the theaters around me when compared to last weekend when things were simply insane. I’m guessing the weekend drop will be closer to 50% than 40% but maybe I will be surprised. 

Just now, LonePirate said:

It is indeed early but we may need to temper expectations for today. Things seems to be noticeably cooler at the theaters around me when compared to last weekend when things were simply insane. I’m guessing the weekend drop will be closer to 50% than 40% but maybe I will be surprised. 

Way more walkup heavy than opening weekend. 70m seems to be a pretty safe bet at this point if 22m+ holds.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, titanic2187 said:

Why did we close down the weekdays thread when full Thursday number for holdovers isn't even fully out?? There are other movies in the run too this week. 

I thought all the numbers were out. Sorry about that. It's back on the main board now

Assuming $22m Friday, AQP2's increases/drops would only net about $68m weekend, barely over $70m with $23m. Gonna need a Saturday bump closer to Aladdin to hit $75m+ from the lower Friday, I'd think. Higher end could get close to $80m.

Edited by cookie

7 minutes ago, cookie said:

Assuming $22m Friday, AQP2's increases/drops would only net about $68m weekend, barely over $70m with $23m. Gonna need a Saturday bump equal to Aladdin to hit $75m, I'd think.

Why on earth is AQP2 a good comp for TGM. That was a fricking horror movie !!!! Older audience would be there over the weekend. Plus I am sure others would be curious to check it out after this great start. 

The most common thing I hear from people leaving this movie is “holy shit, I knew it would be good, but I didn’t think it would be THAT good!”

80M or bust baby. I feel the need...