EmpireCity

Weekend Thread (6/3-5) | Top Gun 2 drops 29% for 90M. The smallest second weekend drop ever for a 100M+ opener!

2 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Also, TGM is one of the most insane holds I've ever seen. And I've been following box office since Titanic era.

(Enter someone older who was around during classic Star Wars runs.) 😛

its impossible to predict this weekend even if weekdays predicted it. You had to think it will have to slow down. But sometimes movies do defy gravity. This movie is going to shock us for sure. Even JWD taking away Imax/PLF will only slow down a bit. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

So, 2 movies in my Top 5 of all time with the craziest runs...yeah, I probably am a good cheerleader for movies!:)

(Titanic is one of the only movies I saw first run twice)...

Me too. Was my first year in high school, saw it twice in theatres, first movie I ever did that for. Definitely not the last though!!

• Like 1

Just now, keysersoze123 said:

its impossible to predict this weekend even if weekdays predicted it. You had to think it will have to slow down. But sometimes movies do defy gravity. This movie is going to shock us for sure. Even JWD taking away Imax/PLF will only slow down a bit. 

Question - do theaters HAVE to give JWD and Lightyear ALL of their Imax/PLF, or can they reserve a show/day for TGM...b/c if I'm a theater, I'd probably reserve a single IMAX/PLF showing for both weekends for TGM b/c they would be guaranteed sellouts vs 75% sells for JWD/Lightyear, especially based on showing timing/amounts...

2 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

how likely do we think it is this will get back IMAX at some point in the summer? Maybe the early July weekend before Thor takes over? Or perhaps sometime in August? Everyone I hear from says it needs to be seen in the biggest screen possible. I’m seeing it in IMAX tonight actually, so will have an opinion after that. 

41 minutes ago, awkwardaardvark said:

You’re comparing Bullet Train to the third film in a series. Come on. Why the hell are you fixating on the arbitrary 170 million number? 

All that was said was Bullet Train — an 85 million dollar film starring an A-lister and featuring other well-known actors — isn’t some niche film. 

if you want to be pedantic, try harder. 

Just curious, what's a better assessment of the current state of a franchise than the latest movie?

• Founder / Operator
9 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Shawn, can you give me some new hope for Dominion? Does tracking at least look solid like before?

Btw i hope i dont annoy you with these questions :ph34r:

Not annoying at all! Remind me in a day or two to check again, but last I remember from Thursday it was still looking very good with under-18s.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

Question - do theaters HAVE to give JWD and Lightyear ALL of their Imax/PLF, or can they reserve a show/day for TGM...b/c if I'm a theater, I'd probably reserve a single IMAX/PLF showing for both weekends for TGM b/c they would be guaranteed sellouts vs 75% sells for JWD/Lightyear, especially based on showing timing/amounts...

I think PLF is definitely possible. Unlike Imax, there were no exclusive contracts and I think theaters can make the call. Let us see how things go beyond next weekend. 

• Like 1

• Founder / Operator
7 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

100%. I banked on Memorial Monday being super inflated by the natural military appeal. This is bonkers level now.

• Like 2

I couldn't think of the best era for movies but my two favorite years were 1999 (The Matrix, Fight Club, Office Space) and 2018 (Infinity War, Mission Impossible Fallout, Into the Spider-verse).

What was the best year for you guys?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

I couldn't think of the best era for movies but my two favorite years were 1999 (The Matrix, Fight Club, Office Space) and 2018 (Infinity War, Mission Impossible Fallout, Into the Spider-verse).

1994 and 1999. 2019 from this millenium.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

There Will be Blood

No Country for Old Men

Zodiac

Bourne Ultimatium

Michael Clayton

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

If were speaking not box-office wise but quality-wise, 2014 takes the cake for me. The list of great movies is actually insane from that year:

Grand Budapest Hotel

GOTG 1

Winter Soldier
Godzilla 14
Whiplash

X-Men: DOFP
John Wick
Nightcrawler
Interstellar
Birdman
Gone Girl
The Babadook
How to Train Your Dragon 2
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Edge of Tomorrow

Like wtf all 9/10 or 10/10 for me.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

1998-2001

Saving Private Ryan --> The Matrix --> Gladiator --> Fellowship.  These were all pivotal films and huge BO/cultural hits.

Forums era?  Definitely 2012.

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 2

Just now, CJohn said:

When is Father's day? Between JW3, TG2 and Buzz, it might be a ridiculous day at the box office.

Third Sunday of June i believe in the US, so June 19th.

• Thanks 1

June 2003 - June 2004 is the best 12/13 month period for me 

Jurassic Park

Free Willy

Hocus Pocus

The Nightmare Before Christmas

Mrs. Doubtfire

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

Tombstone

Ace Ventura

D2: The Mighty Ducks

Speed 

The Lion King 

Calendar Year I have 3

Shaolin Soccer

Spirited Away

Spy Kids 

A Knight's Tale

Shrek

Moulin Rogue

Atlantis 

The Princess Diaries 

Monsters Inc

Oceans 11

LoTR: Fellowship

Oldboy

Memories of Murder

Holes

28 Days Later

Pirates 1

Johnny English

Finding Nemo

School of Rock

The Last Samurai 

LoTR: Return of the King

2016 (best year of animation for me personally) 

Your Name 

A Silent Voice

In This Corner of the World 

Moana

Zootopia

Finding Dory

Train to Busan 

The Handmaiden 

Shin Godzilla

After the Storm

Queen of Katwe

Edited by Potiki
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, grey ghost said:

2008: The Dark Knight

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

There Will be Blood

No Country for Old Men

Zodiac

Bourne Ultimatium

Michael Clayton

I feel like too many people sleep on Michael Clayton