EmpireCity

Weekend Thread (6/3-5) | Top Gun 2 drops 29% for 90M. The smallest second weekend drop ever for a 100M+ opener!

5 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Eh... That's a stretch. They're way too different. Both T2 and Aliens are extremely hard R and extremely sci-fi. Dark Knight is to a Millennial what Batman is to a Gen X. I guess maybe you could say it's the Heat of the last generation but they're not super alike either. But, to me, Dark Knight a lot more like Heat and Dirty Harry than it is T2 or Aliens. But, really, it's best analog is what Burton's Batman was to Gen X. They even both have Batsy and Joker. Both were enormous popular with just about everyone and sold a bazillion tickets DOM too.

I'd disagree with the Heat comparison and Dirty Harry but agree with the Batman one. I think that's buying too much into the veneer. TDK's 'grit' doesn't stand up to any actual scrutiny in the way Heat or DH do. Ultimately the logic of TDK is just as silly as the 60s - or any other - Batman film.

TDK is just...a Batman film....just another outrageously popular Batman film. It just had Nolan cod-realism (paper thin cod realism) sauce on instead of Burton sauce.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

25m Saturday 

Yeah, I figured a sub-40% drop was far too good to be true. Especially from a holiday weekend.

Still, a 45% drop is pretty good. $500M isn't a lock anymore but at least it should outgross Strange with ease.

3 minutes ago, Ipickthiswhiterose said:

I'd disagree with the Heat comparison and Dirty Harry but agree with the Batman one. I think that's buying too much into the veneer. TDK's 'grit' doesn't stand up to any actual scrutiny in the way Heat or DH do. Ultimately the logic of TDK is just as silly as the 60s - or any other - Batman film.

TDK is just...a Batman film....just another outrageously popular Batman film. It just had Nolan cod-realism (paper thin cod realism) sauce on instead of Burton sauce.

We agree pretty much then.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Moviedweeb said:

Both BLACK PANTHER and NWH are phenomenal runs. They’re also MCU films and massive IPs. 

TGM is a different best and arguably yielded the biggest movie star opening of all time. The first Top Gun is a Tom Cruise branded star vehicle. TGM is of course a sequel, but the IP here is essentially Cruise. 

I think you're underrating the impact of the first movie. The next Mission: Impossible isn't going to do these numbers imo. 

20 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

25m Saturday 

For reals? If this is not a joke, then I have a very specific follow-up question 

Or Charlie is just causing chaos 

mean girls fighting GIF