EmpireCity

Weekend Thread (6/3-5) | Top Gun 2 drops 29% for 90M. The smallest second weekend drop ever for a 100M+ opener!

1 minute ago, keysersoze123 said:

20% saturday increase at low end?

It had a 16% increase from true Friday to Saturday on opening weekend. 20% increase should be the floor, IMO. Less and it wouldn’t be devastation but at least somewhat disappointing.

Just now, superduperm said:

It had a 16% increase from true Friday to Saturday on opening weekend. 20% increase should be the floor, IMO. Less and it wouldn’t be devastation but at least somewhat disappointing.

Probably it's Friday grosses were inflated by the PLF as @M37 warned.

20 minutes ago, awkwardaardvark said:

You’re comparing Bullet Train to the third film in a series. Come on. Why the hell are you fixating on the arbitrary 170 million number? 

All that was said was Bullet Train — an 85 million dollar film starring an A-lister and featuring other well-known actors — isn’t some niche film. 

if you want to be pedantic, try harder. 

We'll see, I guess.

3 minutes ago, superduperm said:

Are you comparing movies in their 1st saturday to 2nd saturday !!!! No way it just increase 20%. Its still early june. Similar weekend JW3 increased 55%. While TGM with strong weekdays and good friday increase wont increase that much, 20% is too low. Even though week on week decrease will look ridiculous. 

Just now, keysersoze123 said:

Are you comparing movies in their 1st saturday to 2nd saturday !!!! No way it just increase 20%. Its still early june. Similar weekend JW3 increased 55%. While TGM with strong weekdays and good friday increase wont increase that much, 20% is too low. Even though week on week decrease will look ridiculous. 

Oh I thought you were saying 20% was too high of a low-end lol.

• Founder / Operator
8 hours ago, M37 said:

Going to add from that, that while I do believe TG2 is stealing at least some of what could have been JWD's thunder, the fact that it continues to skew older and (presumably) whiter still leaves open the door for a "surprising" OW. The teens, for whom @Shawn said previously said tracking was very high, really haven't had much to watch of late, other than maybe Bob's Burgers and MoM for the 2nd/3rd/4th time. And they are notoriously late ticket buyers ...

Nailed it.

• Like 3

• Founder / Operator

Also, TGM is one of the most insane holds I've ever seen. And I've been following box office since Titanic era.

(Enter someone older who was around during classic Star Wars runs.) 😛

• Like 9

22 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Is JW3 going to open under 4 Morbillions? That seems quite floppy but the hype/buzz just isn't growing. Reviews are obviously gonna be bad too. What a waste of the old trio.

I know you're being sarcastic here, but I do keep seeing people saying that reviews are going to be mediocre to bad for JW3. I know it's super early, but it's at 88% on RT with 8 reviews. Obviously that will likely go down some, but I can't see it drop hugely from a decent start like that. Am I missing something?

2 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Nailed it.

Shawn, can you give me some new hope for Dominion? Does tracking at least look solid like before?

Btw i hope i dont annoy you with these questions :ph34r:

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shawn said:

Also, TGM is one of the most insane holds I've ever seen. And I've been following box office since Titanic era.

(Enter someone older who was around during classic Star Wars runs.) 😛

Don’t forget this little pencil pusher….

bored haley joel osment GIF

• Like 2

1 minute ago, VanillaSkies said:

I know you're being sarcastic here, but I do keep seeing people saying that reviews are going to be mediocre to bad for JW3. I know it's super early, but it's at 88% on RT with 8 reviews. Obviously that will likely go down some, but I can't see it drop hugely from a decent start like that. Am I missing something?

The reviews so far are almost all from spanish-speaking countrys. Hopefull people live there so they give Dominion a chance.

But english speaking reviewers will be featured the most on RT. Since they will be all cynics, reviews will be terrible.

Spoiler

This is like 90% joke and 10% a bit of truth.

Spoiler

I really hope i didnt offend anyone with this post

1 minute ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Shawn, can you give me some new hope for Dominion? Does tracking at least look solid like before?

**Shawns finger over the perma-ban button every time you @ him...**

excited wild kratts GIF by PBS KIDS

• Astonished 1

Just now, wildphantom said:

Don’t forget this little pencil pusher….

bored haley joel osment GIF

So, 2 movies in my Top 5 of all time with the craziest runs...yeah, I probably am a good cheerleader for movies!:)

(Titanic is one of the only movies I saw first run twice)...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Btw I still hope JW3 opens with 5.2+ Morbillions. Don't let my lack of faith make you think otherwise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

The reviews so far are almost all from spanish-speaking countrys. Hopefull people live there so they give Dominion a chance.

But english speaking reviewers will be featured the most on RT. Since they will be all cynics, reviews will be terrible.

Hide contents

This is like 90% joke and 10% a bit of truth.

Hide contents

I really hope i didnt offend anyone with this post

This is the Internet in 2022. Anyone's posts offend at least 75% of their readers, no matter what is written in them.

• Haha 2