EmpireCity

Weekend Thread (6/3-5) | Top Gun 2 drops 29% for 90M. The smallest second weekend drop ever for a 100M+ opener!

21 minutes ago, DAJK said:

Just wait guys, we all think Top Gun will be #1 this weekend. But Sony hasn’t released Morbius numbers yet.

O/U $20 Morbillion seems about right 

27 minutes ago, MCKillswitch123 said:

Feel like Lightyear is gonna kill an otherwise light chance it had at fudging to 100m DOM, with Summer weekdays approaching. Still, Hell of a run and I too think it'll beat Encanto.

I expect it will get a nice drive in bump from Jurassic World 3. Lost City looks like it got about 1.2m from DI last weekend, every little helps.

2 hours ago, SupermanLego said:

What even was the major pull for those extreme legs ? was it just being the first women led superhero movie ??

1 hour ago, Firepower said:

I'd say it was sold as the first women led superhero movie, but it really wasn't (they pretend Catwoman never happened). This kind of pull is possible only in US because of cultural differences, but it would never work OS because it was nothing special as a movie.

Catwoman and Elektra came out before superhero movies became what they are today, that's why Wonder Woman felt like the first to the audience. It was also released in a time where the media was obsessed with gender equality: 2017 was the year of the worldwide Women's March and the Me Too movement. It was also a great movie: I think it's the 3rd best reviewed DC movie ever, only 1% behind The Dark Knight and Superman: The Movie on Rotten Tomatoes. It also for some reason didn't make the male supremacy crowd feel threatened, as it wasn't review-bombed or targeted by online negative campaigns like Ghostbusters the year before or The Last Jedi a few months later. Not to mention the entire world fell in love with Gal Gadot.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DAJK said:

Just wait guys, we all think Top Gun will be #1 this weekend. But Sony hasn’t released Morbius numbers yet.

I'm sure Pirates 3: At World's End will somehow win this weekend

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

I'm sure Pirates 3: At World's End will somehow win this weekend

Actually needs about 72.4M for a better weekend than AWE so it should be pretty exciting 👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Astonished 1

9 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

Spare a thought for 300, which is about to become number 200 on the all-time domestic chart 

gerard butler battle GIF

Tom Cruise Drinking GIF by Top Gun

100 more to go, then we’re obligated to end cinema

• Like 2
  • Haha 5