EmpireCity

Weekend Thread (6/3-5) | Top Gun 2 drops 29% for 90M. The smallest second weekend drop ever for a 100M+ opener!

30 minutes ago, Ronin46 said:

Have you not taken enough losses yet on TG2 to be advising people on there predictions?

I’m sorry, but to put things into perspective and take it from someone who only visits this forum to follow and comment on the box office numbers of a movie I care about: It’s a little stupid to accuse someone of…”losses” for the millions of dollars a movie does or does not make. You are free to feel fulfilled if you predict correctly, but to be bitter towards others for money a third party makes, is actually sad.

Edited by Xavier
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Xavier said:

I’m sorry, but to put things into perspective and take it from someone who only visits this forum to follow and comment on the box office numbers of a movie I care about: It’s a little stupid to accuse someone of…”losses” for the millions of dollars a movie does or does not make. You are free to feel fulfilled if you predict correctly, but to be bitter towards others for money a third party makes, is actually sad.

It was a light hearted comment by me. That poster has been deathriding Top Gun for a long long time now right up to its opening. They took it in the spirit it was intended by laughing at my comment. However your comments are way over the top. We discuss box office here and have derbies and predictions and make it a game with a little bit of stakes attached. At the end of the day none of this moves the needle one way or the other and none of it is making any of us money and we are not creating anything. Just talking about movies and box office and a few friendly jibes and discussions thrown in.

If my comments triggered you to call them "stupid", maybe its not the right forum for you.  

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Johnny Tran said:

DS2 was not sold as just a sequel to Doctor Strange. DS2 was sold as an 'EVENT' w/ other Avengers and cameos. 

And ultimately it didn´t deliver, i think lack of cameos was one of the main complains about the movie. 

I think if Disney promote this for what it is, it would open lower but maybe would have better legs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Top 10 3rd weekends:

1. Force Awakens- 90.2m (-39.5%) (Jan 1-3)

2. Avatar- 68.4m (-9.4%) (Jan 1-3)

3. Black Panther- 66.3m (-40.6%) (March 2-4)

4. Endgame- 63.2m (-57.1%) (May 10-12)

5. Infinity War- 62m (-45.9%) (May 11-13)

6. No Way Home- 56m (-33.7%) (Dec 31-Jan 2)

7. Avengers- 55.6m (-46%) (May 18-20)

8. Jurassic World- 55.6m (-48.8%) (June 26-38)

9. Last Jedi- 52.5m (-26.6%) (Dec 29-31)

10. Rogue One- 49.6m (-22.5%) (Dec 30-Jan 1)

The biggest opening was Pikachu vs Endgame which did 54.3m. (Inside Out also did 50s in 2nd weekend vs Jurassic World). So Top Gun will have biggest competition.

Wow, that TFA number may never be broken.

Do not see TGM making an appearance on this list... I see it topping out at 47M-48M.

I'm sorry, but this dropped less than 30% from a holiday opening weekend! If you take out the Thursdays previews and adjust the opening Sunday for non-holiday, the drop is ~10%. Even with it losing IMAX and PLF screens, I find it hard to believe it will drop more than 35% in its third weekend!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, FilmFincher said:

Your grandkids will ask "Where were you during Top Gun's second weekend?"

And you'll say "I was there kiddo, deep in the trenches on Box Office Theory"

Happy Tom Cruise GIF

yup. 

we were here, waiting for our own ‘best of the best’ to deliver the payload. Charlie, RTH, and EmpireCity

I Aint Worried Top Gun GIF by OneRepublic

• Like 1

3 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Last week $126.7m to me, it is a overperformance overall but not crazy performance. $125m-130m has always been the high-end number of the some of the tracking and TGM hit the mark.

But this 2nd weekend number, most of the people had it around 65m-75m during mid-week with very few seriously shouting 80m. And with actual of 90m, I would say this is what we call CRAZY! as it surpass the even most optimistic expectation and wish. 

Scott Mantz gets to gloat, he predicted $85-95 and it landed right in the middle, he nailed it

11 minutes ago, Felandria said:

Scott Mantz gets to gloat, he predicted $85-95 and it landed right in the middle, he nailed it

Was just under with his worldwide of 450M as well.  Oops was confusing with Scott Mendelson (Forbes) who predicted 450M worldwide (yes that includes domestic) a few days before it opened and 90M OW. 

Edited by Ronin46

On 6/5/2022 at 7:31 PM, Grebacio said:

Everything Everywhere All at Once will come to my country on Thursday. Don't know if I'll be lucky enough to get it on my city though.

It's not coming to my city :sadfleck:

• Sad 6

1 hour ago, shachi86 said:

I'm sorry, but this dropped less than 30% from a holiday opening weekend! If you take out the Thursdays previews and adjust the opening Sunday for non-holiday, the drop is ~10%. Even with it losing IMAX and PLF screens, I find it hard to believe it will drop more than 35% in its third weekend!

I sent you a PM.