Eric Duncan

WEEKEND THREAD: No one went to the Danger Zone :( 145M JWD, 51.8M TGM, EEAAO reaches 61 DOM

31 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

No, for total, but 50M+ should pretty much be the floor i think. @Olive posted Maoyan predictions in the China thread and that had 15M for OD (101M Yuan) and 150M (1006M Yuan) for total if my currency calculator didnt lie to me.

I really hope this (or something close this) happens as I want to see the Chinese market becoming normal again, as much as it can be anyway. 

33 minutes ago, Xavier said:

Just here for the TGM run. JWD is a bad movie, so I hope it collapses fast and TGM is again number 1. 😌

I mean, with Lightyear next weekend and Elvis the weekend after and so on... Pretty unlikely Maverick is #1 for any daily or weekend the rest of it's run. I guess maybe the weekend before the 4th of July?

16 minutes ago, THUNDER BIRD said:

Anyone else thinks that pandemic is still in effect somewhat, even if people don't care about it in general, movie going is a different activity than just going to restaurant or a fair.

I think it has affected movie watching habit temporarily, And not every movie is Spiderman NWH, it was once a generation stuff. 

Yes. Somewhat. But, not what you're implying... Look at what TGM is doing right now. Look how big Strange 2 opened... Look at EEAAO becoming the biggest A24 release by a very comfortable margin... Box office definitely healthier now than it's ever been during any time earlier in the pandemic. Definitely still healing but much, much, much better than where it's been and continuing to get better. I'm not exactly sure why this is being brought up? Because JWD might underperform due to people not liking it?

18 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

Tbf if NWH and Top Gun have shown us anything, is that the box office is still capable of delivering surprise megahits on a consistent basis

I think we are clearly seeing signs of box office becoming more top heavy with maybe slightly less gross being distributed to much fewer films, this actually benefit the few "must see in theatre" films. The current era might actually help the biggest films more than pre-pandemic era because people go to movie less frequently in general but now have more money to spare, not to mention the ticket inflation since the pandemic. 

Edited by NCsoft

5 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

I think we are clearly seeing signs of box office becoming more top heavy with maybe slightly less gross being distributed to much fewer films, this actually benefit the few "must see in theatre" films. The current era might actually help the biggest films more than pre-pandemic era because people go to movie less frequently in general but now have more money to spare, not to mention the ticket inflation since the pandemic. 

This is to be determined still... EEAAO, Lost City, Uncharted, Sonic 2 also did well. And, likely, movies like Elvis, Nope and Bullet Train will do well too. People are coming back more and more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

I still expect around 150M OW DOM for JWD. Curious of the legs after though. Maybe 150/400? Could see it finish neck and neck with Strange 2.

150M OW, give it to me please

I dont want it to go lover than Fallen Kingdoms 148M but i fear that it will happen :sadfleck:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

not to mention the ticket inflation since the pandemic. 

In my market (could have been special tuesday being special) I was surprised by how little to none there was when I saw Top Gun.

https://www.the-numbers.com/market/

Year Tickets Sold Total Box Office Total Inflation
Adjusted Box Office
Average
Ticket Price
2022 782,360,723 $7,174,247,829 $7,174,247,829 $9.17
2021 492,104,980 $4,512,603,979 $4,512,604,085 $9.17
2020 221,762,724 $2,033,566,047 $2,033,566,047 $9.17
2019 1,228,763,382 $11,255,475,182 $11,267,760,303 $9.16
2018 1,311,300,934 $11,945,954,034 $12,024,629,572 $9.11

Average price went down since 2019 (a steady price that just follow inflation would be around $10.40)

It could be that proportion of ticket that come from the most expensive New-York type market is down too and that price rised everywhere but that the percentage of rural sales is up. Or that the-numbers figure are wrong.

2 hours ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Before my showing of Dominion, there was a Minions ad showing Minions interacting with T-Rexes and shouting nonsensical stuff. I hated it.

This it?

i’d love to be wrong but 110-120 feels possible to me just based on vibes alone. feels like it could be the inverse of JW 2015 where the numbers just keep going down… and down… and down

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

To you it is. However personal biased on whatever how much a movie should do isn’t a good argument.

It's not an argument. They personally don't like JWD, so they personally don't want it to do well. Not that deep.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, harrisonisdead said:

It's not an argument. They personally don't like JWD, so they personally don't want it to do well. Not that deep.

Yeah i know they'll celebrate if it doesn't perform well, i personally know few.

But message to them, this is only temporary, this franchise will come back..... And better than ever. 

Extinction..... Is not an option here. 

Just now, CaptainJackSparrow said:

Nice to see you post again Ethan! 

I'm hoping the film passes 165 mil this weekend! 

Top Gun Maverick being the biggest movie of all time has drawn me back to this place (not that I ever left but was certainly infrequent in my posting)

• Like 1