The Wild Eric

WEEKEND THREAD: No one went to the Danger Zone :( 145M JWD, 51.8M TGM, EEAAO reaches 61 DOM

10 minutes ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Fallen Kingdom fell 58.8% 2nd weekend vs no serious comp (the new releases were Sicario 2 and Uncle Drew). This one drops 60% since it's losing PLFs and Lightyear opens

The reception's so divisive online I'm expecting a big fall next weekend. We'll see how it recovers after that though since FK managed to recover.

I will say huge difference in audience for Jurassic World than Top Gun. You'd have thought you walked into a school playground stepping into the theatre. Lots of families, lots of kids. I'm sure there's some audience overlap but I don't think they'll be eating into each other much outside of the IMAX/PLF thing. 

• Like 3

First movie i've seen in cinema in 2 months and it didn't show the Avatar teaser, what a joke.

Oh I mean TGM btw I'm waiting for a fresh dino series or the next jurassic reboot

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

That would be unironically very impressive and good. Many franchises wish they had this much endurance. After seeing the critical mauling and the mixed-at-best audience reception you'd think it'd pull a Rise of Skywalker and drop off big time from the last movie. Imagine a world where Transformers The Last Knight performed on par with Age of Extinction and still earned a billion.

Not the same: Rise of Skywalker did not have the promise of the whole OG core cast returning for the first time in 29 years, that would be The Force Awakens.

Edited by Xavier

12 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

First movie i've seen in cinema in 2 months and it didn't show the Avatar teaser, what a joke.

You should've gone to an IMAX screening before it lost them. Pretty larger chance of them showing the Avatar trailer there.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

You should've gone to an IMAX screening before it lost them. Pretty larger chance of them showing the Avatar trailer there.

I was busy... kind of hoped there would have still been IMAX for TGM this weekend still. Sad

• Sad 1

43 minutes ago, IronJimbo said:

I was busy... kind of hoped there would have still been IMAX for TGM this weekend still. Sad

the good news is that i hear that they are going to play extended previews of avatar 2 in imax starting on the 16th of december this year

• Haha 8
  • Astonished 3

46M Sat is ok. Would be a 10,8% jump from True Friday, so lower than FK's 15% jump by quite a margin. I hope it increases from that a little bit, but if its the final number, it would mean a guaranteed 140 - 142M OW i think. Sunday drop shoudnt be much bigger than 18 - 21% and that gives us a range of 141,8 - 143,2M.

Biggest Sunday drop for still meaning 140M OW would be around -24% and i do think its very unlikely to drop that much.

Edited by Brainbug the Dinosaur
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

I've been to multiple IMAX movies since Doctor Strange and never got the Avatar trailer here in blighty

19 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

46M Sat is ok. Would be a 10,8% jump from True Friday, so lower than FK's 15% jump by quite a margin. I hope it increases from that a little bit, but if its the final number, it would mean a guaranteed 140 - 142M OW i think. Sunday drop shoudnt be much bigger than 18 - 21% and that gives us a range of 141,8 - 143,2M.

Biggest Sunday drop for still meaning 140M OW would be around -24% and i do think its very unlikely to drop that much.

I feel like we're on the same wavelength. It's ok. Nothing like....great or anything but not dreadfully bad. If I was Universal though, I'd pause here and give the franchise a 10 year break.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I feel like we're on the same wavelength. It's ok. Nothing like....great or anything but not dreadfully bad. If I was Universal though, I'd pause here and give the franchise a 10 year break.

140M has been my personal "it really shoudnt go under that" benchmarck for quite a while. Its still big enough to be a hit (even with lukewarm WOM, 350M+ should be very possible), but yeah, its also nothing to really celebrate.

I agree with a longer hiatus, for me it should be 5 years minimum and they should really use that time to come up with good ideas going forward.

• Like 2

Just now, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

140M has been my personal "it really shoudnt go under that" benchmarck for quite a while. Its still big enough to be a hit (even with lukewarm WOM, 350M+ should be very possible), but yeah, its also nothing to really celebrate.

I agree with a longer hiatus, for me it should be 5 years minimum and they should really use that time to come up with good ideas going forward.

Reason I say 10 is DoTM to AoE was 4 years, while that's not exaaaactly 5, I think it shows that it takes a while for franchise fatigue to wear off. Like for another example, KoTM was hit hard by G-2014's bad reception and that was a 5 year gap (And not everybody knew it was a sequel to it). I think they need to just let it rest.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mulder said:

Reason I say 10 is DoTM to AoE was 4 years, while that's not exaaaactly 5, I think it shows that it takes a while for franchise fatigue to wear off. Like for another example, KoTM was hit hard by G-2014's bad reception and that was a 5 year gap (And not everybody knew it was a sequel to it). I think they need to just let it rest.

I see your point. One reason Jurassic World managed to break out so much was definetly that everyone forgot how mediocre Jurassic Park 3 was and it was clear that it was a fresh start for the series.

But imo, it also comes down to concept and marketing. Transformers 4 i believe dropped a lot from 3 because it looked like the exact same movie from the start, it was clear that nothing had changed in the Transformers formula. If Universal/whoever they get for writing and/or directing the next JP movie manages to make the film feel different from the movies were got so far, i think even a shorter hiatus like 5 or 6 years woudnt be that much of a problem.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I see your point. One reason Jurassic World managed to break out so much was definetly that everyone forgot how mediocre Jurassic Park 3 was and it was clear that it was a fresh start for the series.

But imo, it also comes down to concept and marketing. Transformers 4 i believe dropped a lot from 3 because it looked like the exact same movie from the start, it was clear that nothing had changed in the Transformers formula. If Universal/whoever they get for writing and/or directing the next JP movie manages to make the film feel different from the movies were got so far, i think even a shorter hiatus like 5 or 6 years woudnt be that much of a problem.

To be blunt, I just don't trust Universal lol. I think of the studios while they're better put together than say WB, they're pretty creatively bankrupt and have been for a while. I can't see them use the sense and logic you're using here.

5 minutes ago, Mulder said:

To be blunt, I just don't trust Universal lol. I think of the studios while they're better put together than say WB, they're pretty creatively bankrupt and have been for a while. I can't see them use the sense and logic you're using here.

Id like to think a bit more optimistically 😄 because Universal are looking at the numbers (and the critical score) as well and i believe it should be crystal clear to everyone that the series needs a change and im saying that as someone who actually really likes Dominion lol. But the current plot/characters ... yeah, it would be better to put them to rest and make a fresh start.

• Like 1

On 6/10/2022 at 11:00 AM, Cmasterclay said:

Really was hoping Jurassic World Dominion would open to 69 million opening day so I could finally unleash this "Blue is the Warmest Color" joke about Blue the Raptor I've had cued up for the last two years. 

hey congrats you got all the reactions.

Just now, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Id like to think a bit more optimistically 😄 because Universal are looking at the numbers (and the critical score) as well and i believe it should be crystal clear to everyone that the series needs a change and im saying that as someone who actually really likes Dominion lol. But the current plot/characters ... yeah, it would be better to put them to rest and make a fresh start.

Idk look at F&F imo lol

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Mulder said:

Idk look at F&F imo lol

Thats why i said "opimistically" :ph34r:

Before we have any information regarding any new project in the JP franchise, lets have some hope!

• Like 1