The Wild Eric

WEEKEND THREAD: No one went to the Danger Zone :( 145M JWD, 51.8M TGM, EEAAO reaches 61 DOM

I’m happy with that opening for Jurassic World Dominion. Especially when it looked like it could land in the 125-135 range at one point (Variety). 

Excellent for Top Gun Maverick. 

And of course, Firestarter 😂

I think DS2 still has a bigger chance beating JWD overall but it is hard to believe that JWD’s leg will be as bad as DS2. DS2 legs is one of the most garbage that I have seen in recent years and worse is it happened everywhere. I find it hard to match that “madness” . 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Borobudur said:

So we possibly have two near miss $100m grosser? FB3 and TBG. I hope Universal can pair this up with Minion for double feature. 

FB3 might be able to do it with Elvis but it's very slim because it's already on HBO Max and their channels.

Fun fact: Assuming TGM stays at 50M or greater, this will be the 14th weekend ever with two $50M+ grossers - with four of those weekends involving a Jurassic World film.

Weekends with 2 films 50M+

80M+

June 22-24, 2018

• Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom — 148.0M
  • Incredibles 2 — 80.3M

June 19-21, 2016

• Jurassic World — 106.6M
  • Inside Out — 90.4M

60M+

June 21-23, 2013 (both openers)

• Monsters University — 82.4M
  • World War Z — 66.4M

Nov 29-December 1, 2013

• The Hunger Games: Catching Fire — 74.2M
  • Frozen — 67.4M

May 28-30, 2004

• Shrek 2 — 72.2M
  • The Day After Tomorrow — 68.7M

December 25-27, 2009

• Sherlock Holmes — 62.3M

50M+

June 10-12, 2022

• Jurassic World — 143.4M
  • Top Gun: Maverick — 50.0M

May 25-27, 2007

• Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End — 114.7M
  • Shrek the Third — 53.0M

May 10-12, 2013

• Iron Man 3 — 72.5M
  • The Great Gatsby — 50.1M

May 10-12, 2019

• Avengers: Endgame — 63.3M
  • Pokémon Detective Pikachu — 54.4M

June 27-29, 2008 (both openers)

• Wall-E — 63.1
  • Wanted — 50.9M

June 8-10, 2012 (both openers)

• Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted — 60.3M
  • Prometheus — 51.1M

June 26-28, 2015

• Jurassic World — 54.5M
  • Inside Out — 52.3M

December 29-31, 2017

• Star Wars: The Last Jedi — 52.5M
  • Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle — 50.1M

Peace,

Mike

• Like 8
  • Thanks 5

3 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

25% of the global gross was 3D?! What are people even doing? 

@Brainbug the Dinosaur have any of your viewings been 3D, and if so…was it worth it?*

*Also, have you seen the film again today? 

Not Fun Fact: All showings of Dominion here at my theater that have ATMOS sound (which is so cool that i always want to go there aka the biggest auditoriums) have ONLY 3D showings for pretty much every big movie. Of the 6 times ive seen Dominion by now (yes, i went to see it earlier today and will go see it later today ... again.), 5 have been 3D showings.

And no. It isnt worth it for the 3D. At least it isnt distracting with this movie but since im a 3D-hater in general, its the one thing about cinemagoing for me that i actively dislike (well that and ... people who talk loudly when the film is playing aargh).

3 minutes ago, MikeQ said:

Fun fact: Assuming TGM stays at 50M or greater, this will be the 14th weekend ever with two $50M+ grossers - with four of those weekends involving a Jurassic World film.

Weekends with 2 films 50M+

80M+

June 22-24, 2018

• Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom — 148.0M
  • Incredibles 2 — 80.3M

June 19-21, 2016

• Jurassic World — 106.6M
  • Inside Out — 90.4M

60M+

June 21-23, 2013 (both openers)

• Monsters University — 82.4M
  • World War Z — 66.4M

Nov 29-December 1, 2013

• The Hunger Games: Catching Fire — 74.2M
  • Frozen — 67.4M

May 28-30, 2004

• Shrek 2 — 72.2M
  • The Day After Tomorrow — 68.7M

December 25-27, 2009

• Sherlock Holmes — 62.3M

50M+

June 10-12, 2022

• Jurassic World — 143.4M
  • Top Gun: Maverick — 50.0M

May 25-27, 2007

• Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End — 114.7M
  • Shrek the Third — 53.0M

May 10-12, 2013

• Iron Man 3 — 72.5M
  • The Great Gatsby — 50.1M

May 10-12, 2019

• Avengers: Endgame — 63.3M
  • Pokémon Detective Pikachu — 54.4M

June 27-29, 2008 (both openers)

• Wall-E — 63.1
  • Wanted — 50.9M

June 8-10, 2012 (both openers)

• Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted — 60.3M
  • Prometheus — 51.1M

June 26-28, 2015

• Jurassic World — 54.5M
  • Inside Out — 52.3M

December 29-31, 2017

• Star Wars: The Last Jedi — 52.5M
  • Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle — 50.1M

Peace,

Mike

Next weekend is another very likely candidate for that list with Dominion and Lightyear.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

@Brainbug the Dinosaur have any of your viewings been 3D, and if so…was it worth it?*

*Also, have you seen the film again today? 

It's been doing really in 3D around here too. Doctor Strange still has at least one 3D show at most theaters as well. Everyone's getting ready for Cameron to bring back the 3D craze from late 2009/most of 2010 lol.

12 hours ago, wildphantom said:

OS theatres do shady shit like having disproportionately more higher priced 3D showings than 2D showings, like a ratio of 7:3 and 8:2 in some regions.

1 minute ago, cdsacken said:

I loathe 3D soooo much

3D is the bane of my existence.

Unfortunately, i think Avatar 2 could bring about a new wave of 3D films come December. Ftr, i have nothing against Avatar 2 or its probably mind-blowing 3D use but i fear the consequences if it "proves" for the industry again how great 3D is.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Not Fun Fact: All showings of Dominion here at my theater that have ATMOS sound (which is so cool that i always want to go there aka the biggest auditoriums) have ONLY 3D showings for pretty much every big movie. Of the 6 times ive seen Dominion by now (yes, i went to see it earlier today and will go see it later today ... again.), 5 have been 3D showings.

And no. It isnt worth it for the 3D. At least it isnt distracting with this movie but since im a 3D-hater in general, its the one thing about cinemagoing for me that i actively dislike (well that and ... people who talk loudly when the film is playing aargh).

That’s very interesting. 
In the U.K. I would say 3D showtimes are 15% of the shows, maybe less. 

My IMAX (lie-max) screen here does have one showing a day of JWD in 3D, but I’m avoiding. 
tbh my biggest hate for 3D is more the failure of them more often than not projecting the correct brightness. Not an issue with IMAX, so I’m tempted to go and check it out in the format. 

Of course, if any movie is actually shot in 3D that’s totally different and I’m all over it. 

……….

@Brainbug the Dinosaur is going for round 7 before the end of its opening weekend. What a legend. 

brad pitt GIF by IFC

Edited by wildphantom
  • Haha 1

If neither DS2 or JWD hits $1B WW, they sadly might be on the group of ”Had shots at $1B+ but did not get there”. Along with the Hobbit sequels, The Jungle Book, Jumanji 2, Pirates 3, etc.

Why is $1B WW for a film getting a bit harder for certain films? 👩🏻‍💼🙍🏻‍♀️

4 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Unfortunately, i think Avatar 2 could bring about a new wave of 3D films come December. Ftr, i have nothing against Avatar 2 or its probably mind-blowing 3D use but i fear the consequences if it "proves" for the industry again how great 3D is.

Problem isn't really 3D itself, it's how films use it. When Avatar showed how great 3D could be studios decided the best course of action was to ride that wave in the most lazy fashion possible and make it worthless junk that only serves to annoy you. Sadly if Avatar 2 manages to show it again, that's just going to be a repeat of what happens, lazy conversions for a few extra bucks.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, MrFanaticGuy34 said:

If neither DS2 or JWD hits $1B WW, they sadly might be on the group of ”Had shots at $1B+ but did not get there”. Along with the Hobbit sequels, The Jungle Book, Jumanji 2, Pirates 3, etc.

Why is $1B WW for a film getting a bit harder for certain films? 👩🏻‍💼🙍🏻‍♀️

If DS2 or JWD had better reception, they'd both get there. Other current factors include....

1. Poor ER in other countries due to a strong USD.
  2. Russia/Ukraine (the effects of the war + no films being played in either country)
  3. China being stricter on what is getting released

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

I loathe 3D soooo much

8 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Thank you, 3D is death.

Theres only one movie I've seen with 3D where its serviceable and thats only because the movie was built from the ground up to be in 3D(Avatar), but even then I could've done just fine without and I definitely won't be seeing Avatar 2 in 3D.

Its gonna come back because the same people are gonna see Avatar 2 over and over again in 3D and then the studios are gonna get the wrong message and assume everyone likes 3D for everything again.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Next weekend is another very likely candidate for that list with Dominion and Lightyear.

You're right - that would make a third of these weekends (with two $50M+ grossers) involving Jurassic World films. The trilogy has had to deal with some big films opening right before or after it. Jurassic World usually co-exists well with other films - a testament to the four-quadrant nature of the franchise?

Peace,

Mike

• Like 3