Eric Atreides

Thunderbolts | May 2, 2025 | MCU | Production halted due to writers strike, Miss Flo won't write the dialogue

On 5/26/2023 at 1:49 AM, filmlover said:

I doubt it, it's already been promoted for a while and it should be close to finished (+ has already gone through 1.5 years worth of release date changes). They won't sit on a film that will definitely be ready for release in a few months that much longer.

If anything, I imagine Disney will just move Lion King 2 back three weeks to the date for this (or to the 19th, same day the first came out, to bully Twisters into moving).

Yeah The Marvels is getting a 2023 release, most likely. Secret Invasion seems to play a part on that, so it will be interesting three weeks from now.

16 hours ago, poweranimals said:

I doubt it. That would put too much pressure on DP crew to get it out 4 months early.

While this is true, it wouldn’t be the first time that a change of schedule ends up provoking some changes. And it gives me some ideas…

clean.jpg

We'll see...not if the Writers' Strike continues!  If it doesn't start shooting soon, it will be pushed.  And even if it starts shooting in August, it will be seen as a "rushed" production...(though in the old days, this could be accomplished fine!)

That’s an interesting brand new line up of Thunderbolts premiering next December in Marvel Comics:

I wonder if means anything to the MCU team, particularly intrigued by the Shang-Chi addition here, since most of these characters are already confirmed for the MCU version of the film.

35 minutes ago, ZattMurdock said:

That’s an interesting brand new line up of Thunderbolts premiering next December in Marvel Comics:

I wonder if means anything to the MCU team, particularly intrigued by the Shang-Chi addition here, since most of these characters are already confirmed for the MCU version of the film.

What's more interesting here is that Winter Soldier is leading the team, not Black Widow. Kevin Feige recently said that Winter Soldier is the de facto leader of Thunderbolts.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Willowra said:

What's more interesting here is that Winter Soldier is leading the team, not Black Widow. Kevin Feige recently said that Winter Soldier is the de facto leader of Thunderbolts.

Current Bucky Barnes’ storyline goes to some crazy and wild places, so I wonder if that could potentially have ramifications in the film side too. Bucky desperately needs a new name to catch up. The Winter Soldier is like calling Wolverine the Weapon X instead of Wolverine. Giving the premise of Thunderbolts in the comics, I wonder if that’s where he might get that. I was very happy with T’Challa calling him the White Wolf, but alas…

2 hours ago, Willowra said:

Well it's not Natasha so it makes sense. Yelena doesn't really have much experience working with a team. Bucky was basically an Avenger.

Kinda weird to have Shang-Chi there though. The rest of the team are basically anti-heroes but he doesn't really fit that mold.

Edited by poweranimals

4 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Well it's not Natasha so it makes sense. Yelena doesn't really have much experience working with a team. Bucky was basically an Avenger.

Kinda weird to have Shang-Chi there though. The rest of the team are basically anti-heroes but he doesn't really fit that mold.

The best Thunderbolts runs usually has someone that is the ‘heart’ and ‘moral compass’ to the team. In the original, that was Songbird, a reformed villain yes, but with the heart of a hero. I could see Shang-Chi playing that role here.

Also, I kinda like the idea of Shang-Chi ingenuity in the MCU playing a part on him potentially accepting a role in the Thunderbolts, if that’s what they are going with. In an world without the Avengers, and with Shang-Chi having an weapon as the Ten Rings, that’s someone that I’d imagine Contessa would try to bring to the fold, knowing how her brain works. 

It sounds like the new writer changed it up a bit (specifically the Cap 4 connective stuff, whatever it was), but someone who had some reliable details for some other projects gave a possible glimpse of the premise: the movie begins with the Thunderbolts being sent on a mission that is supposed to end with them all dead, but doesn't, so they want payback on the person who sent them on the mission tried to have them all killed (probably Val?). Also that Bucky and Alexei are in the cast but not technically actual members of the Thunderbolts team.

Edited by SpiderByte

1 hour ago, SpiderByte said:

It sounds like the new writer changed it up a bit (specifically the Cap 4 connective stuff, whatever it was), but someone who had some reliable details for some other projects gave a possible glimpse of the premise: the movie begins with the Thunderbolts being sent on a mission that is supposed to end with them all dead, but doesn't, so they want payback on the person who sent them on the mission tried to have them all killed (probably Val?). Also that Bucky and Alexei are in the cast but not technically actual members of the Thunderbolts team.

That sounds like a good use of her character