The Wild Eric

Thunderbolts* | May 2, 2025 | MCU

I'm not mega-hyped, but there's more than enough for me to be on board opening weekend. It certainly looks a lot more tactile, lived-in and real than a lot of Marvel fare as of late. I'm also interested because this is a cast of Z-listers not many care about that are headlining a major May Marvel release. I wonder what the studio saw in this for them to push this to that slot instead of going with the safer option and picking Captain America 4 for this slot.

Spoiler

I'm also interested in seeing how they pull off Sentry within such a seemingly realistic and grounded story.

Dropping the trailer for Venom and Joker 2 to a lesser extent to get awareness up makes sense to me. Best chance of capturing the attention of the main demo that would go to see this. And Cap 4 will get something but that's not guaranteed to be a smash so smart to get in front of other films early. 

Trailer was fine. As someone who's not really into the MCU anymore unless a project speaks to me, this didn't move the needle at all. But I think it'll work fine to keep the movie in people's minds for a while until a second trailer. 

1 minute ago, SpiderByte said:

What, Marston assumes a Marvel movie will bomb, what a shock.

Anyways, at least now we know what the Scarjo produced movie is

This adds a lot of credence to some rumours from back in the day stating that Eric Pearson's original script for this was quite literally Black Widow 2. And I think Scarlett produced the first Black Widow movie too, didn't she?

I mean it makes sense for this to have originally been Black Widow 2 with Yelena being so focused on. And she's cool so no complaints there. It's very Harley Quinn and the Long Subtitle. Nothing like it in tone or anything, but more as the studio using the team as a vehicle for the protagonist to get a solo movie without being a solo movie. 

Most people online seem to like the trailer, I personally thought it looked incredibly uninspired, but either way I'm still sceptical that this will translate into audience interest. The cast is just rough, full of side characters from unremarkable movies and shows that people didn't give a shit about.

• Like 2

Focusing on Yelena and Bucky and having Harbour do his shtick is smart marketing. Though I was sure they were gonna show off Pullman's character... wonder if they keep that as the opening weekend surprise that generates wom.

ANYWAY, BUCKY ON THAT MOTORCYCLE DOING HIS TERMINATOR HOT SHIT???

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

This adds a lot of credence to some rumours from back in the day stating that Eric Pearson's original script for this was quite literally Black Widow 2. And I think Scarlett produced the first Black Widow movie too, didn't she?

Thunderbolts*

*Scarlett Johanson's Thunderbolts

21 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

I'm not mega-hyped, but there's more than enough for me to be on board opening weekend. It certainly looks a lot more tactile, lived-in and real than a lot of Marvel fare as of late. I'm also interested because this is a cast of Z-listers not many care about that are headlining a major May Marvel release. I wonder what the studio saw in this for them to push this to that slot instead of going with the safer option and picking Captain America 4 for this slot.

Hide contents

I'm also interested in seeing how they pull off Sentry within such a seemingly realistic and grounded story.

Love when Marvel stuff is shot in sets or outdoors... speaking of which, Agatha All Along looks great visually.

28 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Haha, this is totally a condition from her suing Disney. “Refer to this film in future films and I shall be paid”. 

Secure the bag, Scar Jo. 

1 minute ago, Krissykins said:

Haha, this is totally a condition from her suing Disney. “Refer to this film in future films and I shall be paid”. 

Secure the bag, Scar Jo. 

This was from before the lawsuit. It does support the rumor that this was originally developed as more of a Black Widow 2 though

32 minutes ago, SpiderByte said:

Marvels already got their mega bomb with The Marvels.

This movie is full of lesser known characters, so they need to focus the marketing on Yelena and Bucky. I think this has more going on for it than Cap 4 and will make more.

28 minutes ago, Mojoguy said:

Marvels already got their mega bomb with The Marvels.

This movie is full of lesser known characters, so they need to focus the marketing on Yelena and Bucky. I think this has more going on for it than Cap 4 and will make more.

Make more than the Marvels or make more than Cap 4?