The Wild Eric

Thunderbolts* | May 2, 2025 | MCU

11 hours ago, John Marston said:

not sure why this would make more than 300M worldwide. Not only does it seem to have many things people complain about with Marvel movies today (ugly visuals, too much humor) but it looks like a copy of Suicide Squad of all movies and is a follow up to a bunch of mediocre movies and web series. It's not 2014 anymore.

Fortuntaley seems much better than ugly suicide squad movies

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, dudalb said:

And the was even more true for Guaradians Of the Galaxy. Who the hell outside the hardcore Comic fans had ever heard of them before the movie>

I am not saying Thunderbolts will be be another GOTG, but writing it off because the charecters are not well know is silly.

If anything,it is a little better off then GOTG because Yelana has had some exposure.

And you get the usually bitching that is not just like the comics. Feige has never hesistated to make changes from the comics if he thingks it will make  a better movie.

I have to laugh at the 'It's like the Avegers used unknown chatecters " argument. Tha Avengers were, much, much,much better known to the non comic book geek audience..which makes up most of the audience.....then "Thunderbolts"

That is problem is the hardcore Comic fans;They think everybody is a hard core comic book fan.

I have no idea how "Thunderbolts" will do, but I find the reasons for automatic ally writing it off to be weak.

Guardians of the Galaxy had a better hook imo. It was the first MCU movie set primarily off of Earth and (at the time) felt like a breath of fresh air. Most of the Thunderbolts cast are just super soldiers or glorified spies, and the trailer has done nothing to make it seem like an essential MCU entry. Unless it randomly turns out to be one of the best MCU movies, this just looks like the definition of skippable filler.

39 minutes ago, judestar619 said:

Guardians of the Galaxy had a better hook imo. It was the first MCU movie set primarily off of Earth and (at the time) felt like a breath of fresh air. Most of the Thunderbolts cast are just super soldiers or glorified spies, and the trailer has done nothing to make it seem like an essential MCU entry. Unless it randomly turns out to be one of the best MCU movies, this just looks like the definition of skippable filler.

Agreed - you can't compare the 2 - this was GOTG's 1st trailer, and you just feel the off-beatness and fun that's missing from this movie.  This movie's trailer is much more serious and somber, and if you're gonna pull that off, you better bring a crap ton of quality and seriously spectacular plotting/characterization to the movie... 

47 minutes ago, cinema pal said:

No, he has not. The fingers are just bent. His little finger goes out of frame and then we see its tip.

Those AI talks are silly

20240924-145056.jpg

this is correct, but awkward that there’s a relatively persistent visual illusion of having 6 fingers 🤣

Captain America 4 trailer after 24 hours

Youtube - 12 M, 401k likes 

Instagram - 17 M, 1.1M likes 

Tik Tok - 7.5 M, 316 K likes 

Facebook - 35M

Thunderbolts trailer after 24 hours 

YouTube - 10.8M, 396k likes 

Instagram - 12.2M, 944k likes (combinated two posts)

Tik Tok - 557K, 59K likes 

Facebook - 45M 

I wasn't expecting it to be on par with Captain America so this is good in comparison, but both movies are closer to The Marvels in YouTube which is concerning unless this is normal for the MCU now and their engagement just dropped out of a cliff, idk how other MCU trailers performed in the rest of social media. 

• Like 1

Those who say that the poster is A.I. clearly have no experience in making actual A.I. images in Stable Diffusion or Midjourney.

For starters, it's really hard to make an A.I. image with several characters that

1. Look wildly different (A.I. models are often one-note/similar)

2. Have different expressions or poses

3. Have different costumes/aesthetics like our Thunderbolts members here

It's possible, but you'd have to re-run the image through the model/different models several times, and each time you'd have to do some epic manual masking job. And it's not even guaranteed that it'd come up with anything that can be used. A.I. models are really bad at doing exactly what they're told, they're good at doing loosely what they're told. And also, generally the output is nearly always... off. By some margin. So you'd need a LORA model to match the exact facial features of your actors, which needs to be trained. That takes a while. For each actor, and for each model. And the image creation model has to be a realistic model, but one that is suited to a gritty aesthetics like this one. Again, not impossible, but hard to find and replicate.

Second, it's incredibly hard with A.I. to add specific animations/postures/poses to humans. I'm not sure why but the algorithms really shit the bed when it's time to motion your characters or give them "personality". Specifically, the pose or personality you want. They're good at giving them random/basic poses/expressions, but anything intricate and/or specific... good fucking luck. Again, not impossible, it's doable with ControlNet, but really hard to do. You'd need an A.I. wizard, and the job would take him I don't know how many hours. Dozens and dozens, possibly hundreds since he also has to train all those LORA models for each actor and each model to get that exact aesthetics.

Don't forget the hours of cleaning up the A.I. artifacts after, which the more you mask and rerun the image through models, the more they pop up everywhere in the image because the models are roughly coherent only when they have the full picture in mind. Masking takes out parts of that image so the models basically do whatever the fuck they want each time you rerun through, so there's no coherence. That part is done in Photoshop so that's more outside knowledge you need.

If you tasked me with making an image like that in Stable Diffusion it'd be a nightmare scenario. One of the worst possible images you could possibly ask me to do. I wouldn't be able to, in fact, and I've made so many different images, even some that featured different-looking characters (a real challenge that took me dozens of hours). But this is too much. A beautiful looking wallpaper though, without humans in it, with intricate details? Gimme a few minutes. There's a reason why most A.I. pictures are of one person in an environment. That's what the models are good at doing.

Basically, A.I. models infamously struggle at making convincing-looking humans (hence the 6 fingers thing), they struggle even more at making multiple humans in the same picture that don't look like clones of each other, and they're terrible at making exactly what you want, and they're terrible at making realistic-looking humans just in general, especially ones with the expression or pose that you want. All of these compound on each other.

At this point taking a picture of the actors in costume is just the lowest effort of the two, and even Photoshopping each individual photograph together would be a low effort endeavor compared to making an entirely new A.I. picture of them that looks like this. If someone pulled it off, well hats off to you mate, you are a true A.I. wizard, and you deserve for your picture to be mistaken as real, because that's some epic skills.

Sorry for the long ted talk

Edited by Daxtreme
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Mickiland16 said:

Captain America 4 trailer after 24 hours

Youtube - 12 M, 401k likes 

Instagram - 17 M, 1.1M likes 

Tik Tok - 7.5 M, 316 K likes 

Facebook - 35M

Thunderbolts trailer after 24 hours 

YouTube - 10.8M, 396k likes 

Instagram - 12.2M, 944k likes (combinated two posts)

Tik Tok - 557K, 59K likes 

Facebook - 45M 

I wasn't expecting it to be on par with Captain America so this is good in comparison, but both movies are closer to The Marvels in YouTube which is concerning unless this is normal for the MCU now and their engagement just dropped out of a cliff, idk how other MCU trailers performed in the rest of social media. 

We haven't had a regular MCU film since The Marvels so hard to gauge regular engagement. Deadpool is obviously not gonna be a comparison that makes sense so I guess we're just gonna be waiting on the F4 trailer to compare to that one. That's the one most are high on in terms of box office potential of the 3 so if it's in line with the other two then we can just say that's the new baseline. Nothing to worry about right now. 

I'll probably go digging properly later to see if anyone commented on the forum or something with the trailer views for Guardians and Quantumania. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Cooper Legion said:

No no no, my bad

Not you obviously. All that person has to do is stop coming off a like a dog who's constantly a leg humper and won't let go.  Maybe we just all need to stop responding to so much of their comments and they will get a clue and cut it down a little. Maybe