Eric Duncan

***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** JURASSIC WORLD DOMINION SPOILERS THREAD ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***SPOILERS*** ***DID WE MENTION SPOILERS?????***

Real Spoilery things:

-So many dinosaur species. Therizinosaurus is a clear standout to me. Dimetrodon scene in the cave was really cool. The end fight between the Giga and the Rex was not half as good as the one in JW, but after having seen in 3 times now, its also not bad. Its fine.

-Locust plot is annoying, BUT: This is FAR MORE of a Crichton-esque plot than any other JP movie since the first Jurassic Park. This movie is not about dinosaurs per se but about the dangers of playing aroung with genetic power. Just like the first JP. Ofc, its a far weaker story, but i really appreciate the spirit

-Dogson death was underwhelming. Generally, not too many people get eaten by dinosaurs in this which is a bit of a shame

-Maisie subplot is too long and i really dont care about her Mom, but i also ... dont mind it.

-Alan and Ellie coming together is sweet. Always wanted that for those two characters

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Real Spoilery things:

-So many dinosaur species. Therizinosaurus is a clear standout to me. Dimetrodon scene in the cave was really cool. The end fight between the Giga and the Rex was not half as good as the one in JW, but after having seen in 3 times now, its also not bad. Its fine.

-Locust plot is annoying, BUT: This is FAR MORE of a Crichton-esque plot than any other JP movie since the first Jurassic Park. This movie is not about dinosaurs per se but about the dangers of playing aroung with genetic power. Just like the first JP. Ofc, its a far weaker story, but i really appreciate the spirit

-Dogson death was underwhelming. Generally, not too many people get eaten by dinosaurs in this which is a bit of a shame

-Maisie subplot is too long and i really dont care about her Mom, but i also ... dont mind it.

-Alan and Ellie coming together is sweet. Always wanted that for those two characters

I mean it is Crichton-esque but so would space viruses and talking gorillas, you get me? lol

3 minutes ago, Mulder said:

I mean it is Crichton-esque but so would space viruses and talking gorillas, you get me? lol

Nah i disagree. Crichton - despite obviously leaning into sci-fi - still did a relatively grounded approach to his science thrillers. And imo, a monster locust swarm would be something right up his alley when it comes to the genetic thematic. Its a lot more believable to me than a space virus lol and it also fits with the possible extinction narrative here since those kinds of locusts would definetly be a worldwide problem if not contained.

Also, there arent THAT many scenes with the locusts. Theyre integral to the plot ofc, but they arent really the focus most of the time. Dont get me wrong, i could have definetly do without them, but seeing some people call this movie a locust film is pretty hyperbolic imo.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Nah i disagree. Crichton - despite obviously leaning into sci-fi - still did a relatively grounded approach to his science thrillers. And imo, a monster locust swarm would be something right up his alley when it comes to the genetic thematic. Its a lot more believable to me than a space virus lol and it also fits with the possible extinction narrative here since those kinds of locusts would definetly be a worldwide problem if not contained.

Also, there arent THAT many scenes with the locusts. Theyre integral to the plot ofc, but they arent really the focus most of the time. Dont get me wrong, i could have definetly do without them, but seeing some people call this movie a locust film is pretty hyperbolic imo.

Eh I disagree because like yeah it fits Crichton, but it doesn't fit Jurassic Park. They're the true driving force of the plot and what the movie's actually about. The movie's not about the Dinosaurs really.

• Like 1

I didn't think the locusts took up that much time. Dinosaurs were pretty front and center, and I don't think they necessarily have to be the driving force of the plot for me to be satisfied. In the end the locusts were a plot device representing the dangers of unchecked genetic experimentation, which is a theme this franchise has harped on since the start. 

Edited by Menor Reborn
  • Like 1

Just now, scoobysaurus said:

Anyone else bummed that 'journey to the island' got royally shafted in this film? Its been such an integral part of all 5 previous movies. I know it might not be a big deal to many but kinda upsets me.

Yes, definitely missed that cue. Was kinda disappointed with the score in general. And I thought Giacchino did a very good job with JW, FK was a mixed bag but still more memorable than this one. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, scoobysaurus said:

Anyone else bummed that 'journey to the island' got royally shafted in this film? Its been such an integral part of all 5 previous movies. I know it might not be a big deal to many but kinda upsets me.

That didnt bother me exactly because weve seen it 5 times already by now 😅 one thing i really appreciate about Dominion is how it really doesnt feel like any of the other JP/JW films. Its too ambitious with its subplots for its own good. Another trip to for example Isla Nublar after the eruption or Isla Sorna would have made the pacing even worse probably. It would have needed to be a different movie to include either of the islands.

Edit: Oh you meant the score! Yes, thats right i missed that too. Overall, score was fine for me, but probably the weakest of the franchise together with FK.

Edited by Brainbug the Dinosaur
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

That didnt bother me exactly because weve seen it 5 times already by now 😅 one thing i really appreciate about Dominion is how it really doesnt feel like any of the other JP/JW films. Its too ambitious with its subplots for its own good. Another trip to for example Isla Nublar after the eruption or Isla Sorna would have made the pacing even worse probably. It would have needed to be a different movie to include either of the islands.

Edit: Oh you meant the score! Yes, thats right i missed that too. Overall, score was fine for me, but probably the weakest of the franchise together with FK.

Agreed on your other points but yeah I meant the score lol. I would've been fine with it if they at least gave the track a 'cameo' like they did in JW with the initial helicopter scene. Agreed on it being the weakest score in the franchise but I'd put FK above it - the indoraptor theme was badass IMHO. I LOVED JW's soundtrack - everything had its own theme and most of them were quite memorable too. I'm surprised at how poorly Dominion's score compares to its predecessors. I know for a fact that Giacchino can do much better as we've seen in JW.

Edited by scoobysaurus
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Bigscrubnus said:

and there it is confirmed by Colin himself. the rexes at the end are in fact the couple from the lost world. 

I suspected as much and loved to see that. Generally, i loved the ending scene.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alex SciChannel said:

Imo the strongest score of the World films is Fallen Kingdom. The Indoraptor theme/motif is GOD tier. Also, I might be misremembering but didnt Malcolm's math and probability skills save the day against the Dimetrodons?

Ramsey Cole opened the gate from control room.

• Like 1