IndustriousAngel

BO Germany/Austria: Dune 2 fine 2nd weekend

1 hour ago, Shanks said:

- snip -

why I pointed out the organised detail is the time behind the numbers.

The numbers the Brits caused ww are higher (different countries, even continents), but also more spread out over too many years.

If you calculate a possible future out of victims / year (like if they won against e.g UK and take over...) the Nazi would be worse.

The Brits wanted continuous money and power and used the worst of  the suppressing / occupying methods, the Nazi aimed e.g. for the 'cleaning' of humankind per killing all what was seen substandard. If having won the war, all of the German resources would have been used to focus on / fulfil their goals. That includes to invade even more countries, and more.

Btw, what was earlier said, like Germans didn't really realise until the '70 is very much wrong, incl the winners forcing people of complete cities to go and 'visit' the concentration camps and see the many dead and so on. Not all Germans, but those near enough. There was after the war information way earlier, but also a lot of still in office remaining old nazi incl im Bundesgerichtshof, im Bayerischen Rundfunk and other places they were still able to influence. Incl to push out critical people who were installed by the Allied occupation after those gave control back.

Arghh, way too OT

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I for one would have wanted Germany to win. I mean, what option do I have, to chose between two evils.

Considering the creation of independent India in 1947 vs the alternative division of India between Germany and Japan, seem like an rather easy choice no ?

Btw, what was earlier said, like Germans didn't really realise until the '70 is very much wrong, incl the winners forcing people of complete cities to go and 'visit' the concentration camps and see the many dead and so on.

That did sound strange to me, didn't the allied had a vast program trying to deprogram Nazy in germany (that failed on the first generation) ?

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

why I pointed out the organised detail is the time behind the numbers.

The numbers the Brits caused ww are higher (different countries, even continents), but also more spread out over too many years.

If you calculate a possible future out of victims / year (like if they won against e.g UK and take over...) the Nazi would be worse.

The Brits wanted continuous money and power and used the worst of  the suppressing / occupying methods, the Nazi aimed e.g. for the 'cleaning' of humankind per killing all what was seen substandard. If having won the war, all of the German resources would have been used to focus on / fulfil their goals. That includes to invade even more countries, and more.

Btw, what was earlier said, like Germans didn't really realise until the '70 is very much wrong, incl the winners forcing people of complete cities to go and 'visit' the concentration camps and see the many dead and so on. Not all Germans, but those near enough. There was after the war information way earlier, but also a lot of still in office remaining old nazi incl im Bundesgerichtshof, im Bayerischen Rundfunk and other places they were still able to influence. Incl to push out critical people who were installed by the Allied occupation after those gave control back.

Arghh, way too OT

You can't just randomly assume that Nazi-Germany would have tried to kill Indians. They didn't really care much for anyone who was outside of the territory they desired for themselves. Nor was there ever really a plan to kill everything that was deemed "substandard". Plenty of those people were "fine" enough to exist as workforce in German lands, or not really a nuisance if they were from a territory Germany didn't care about. If anything, getting India to break away from the British Empire would have been more interesting for Germany than trying to subjugate it. They had no problem at all allying themselves with "non-aryan" nations, or leaving other nations alone if they weren't of much interest. There never really was a defined rule as of what was okay and what wasn't, they made it up as they went, and created exceptions whenever it worked better. India, as likely birthplace of the Aryans wouldn't have been deemed inferior. Japan, was techncially also part of the "substandard" people, but were deemed "honorary aryans" due to their nature and being allied with them. If there is one country Indians would have needed to look out for, it's Japan. Because it kind of had a thing for creating a "free" asian territory, that consisted of subjugated puppet-states. Then again, that probably wouldn't have been all that different from being a puppet to Britain.

The thing with denazification is that the Allies quickly realized that they needed plenty of bureaucrats that worked for the Nazis, because there was no other way to run the state without them. So while there were efforts going on, especially right after the war, quite a bit wasn't really dealt with. The people really just wanted to have peace at that point and forget about what just happened. So while there was quite a bit of denazification, the 70s and increased effort to talk about this past certainly helped a lot.

2 minutes ago, George Parr said:

Because it kind of had a thing for creating a "free" asian territory, that consisted of subjugated puppet-states. Then again, that probably wouldn't have been all that different from being a puppet to Britain.

Considering that they got out of being a puppet to Britain as soon as 1947, that seem extremely improbable that the scenario isn't different. It is hard to imagine Ghandi non violent technique being efficient against the German Nazi or Japan Empire regime.

4 minutes ago, George Parr said:

If there is one country Indians would have needed to look out for, it's Japan.

Apparently yes, the latest was if the axis won the War Japan would have owned India/Afghanistan, with Germany owning the part that became Pakistan.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, George Parr said:

. India, as likely birthplace of the Aryans wouldn't have been deemed inferior.

that I doubt in a big way, as they had  an entirely other definition of Aryans.

the rest in spoiler tags as way too OT

Spoiler

If you look into who got replaced in which occupied region, who also ended in concentration camps... plus what was said and written,...

And with whom to ally with for how long and why to take over you can see with Italy, their standing in Greece and what they did there as they overtook

Why I think its more difficult to imagine out of print material, and I might have a kind of advantage over that (but I do read a lot also, love history):

I am a first generation after the war German, means I am born after the war, but my father and both of my in-laws were born during Wilhelm's reign (and as such were adults during the Nazi regime), my mother after the emperor's time. Father-in-law fought in WW I, my father in WW II, both fought against the Nazis.

My father nearly got sentenced for that, luckily the war ended.

Both got placed by the allies (in different states) in some rebuilding the system jobs, my father even rather high up as one of the ones to organise a civil government for 'his' state. He was in that position till ~ the second election.

My father called some pretty critical judges his friend and had also later   work-related contacts to the real powers behind certain of the biggest companies (after the war, not critical ones), I grew up surrounded by them and others, I saw and heard a lot of them speaking outside the population's view. In the '60 the most of the older ones (especially those active long before the Nazis) were e.g. judges ad, but the ones young / freshly placed into their office during WWII were still giving sentences in the '60 and later). We had e.g. at home several Federal Supreme Court a.D. ones as visitors/guests/friends.....

= I think all 1st generation Germans can have a pretty good insight still, if their parents were willing to either open up or had for one reason or the other a bit of an insight and shared that.

Sadly a lot of them put their heads into the sand and as such their children missed a good to great opportunity.

The Japanese at that time had technology, school system, brainwashed pupils, overly trained discipline,... that they were able to respect.

No way anyone based on a culture they deemed mostly as ... less = that includes Russians (see PoW in concentration camps) too and so on

Edited by terrestrial

Germany's Top20 last weekend:

title

admissions

th.

PTA

total adm.

total €

drop

week

The Lion King

Pets 2

Spider-Man - Far From Home

Yesterday

Die drei !!!

-

Annabelle 3

Dolor y gloria

-

Aladdin

Five Feet Apart

Der Junge muss an die frische Luft

+167

Anna

Bohemian Rhapsody

+37

Abikalypse

-

Rocketman

John Wick 3

25km/h

+145

Child's Play

Qu'est-ce qu'on a encore fait au Bon Dieu?

+61

Men in Black - International

+70

Avengers - Endgame

+22

Much better weekend than expected, Lion King and especially Pets2 with sweet holds, and longrunning domestic hit bio Der Junge muss an die frische Luft is back in the Top10! Also a good opening for Almodóvar's latest; fine PTA and maybe a slight expansion next week.

Next weekend: Leberkäsjunkie, the 6th in the series of Rita Falk's Bavarian crime comedy adaptions, will hit theaters and might become #2 behind Lion King; the series has shown a steady upwards trend and 1mil total are nearly a given. Also a contender for #2: Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw, a release I find very hard to predict; presales are weak but the franchise has shown a lot of potential. (At my theater, Leberkäsjunkie leads presales but in northern Germany numbers will be reverse). For small kids, Benjamin Blümchen will surely reach a respectable total (1mil total region I'd say) but not a big opening.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Astonished 1

9 hours ago, Aristis said:

Now I'd really like to know what you thought 😬 It seems the German Thread has many young people (and especially many students :P) and Industrious and terrestrial.

German BO is boring and we are so chatty :D

As Taruseth said, 4M looks good and so does your range.

Don't really know to be honest, kinda imagined you to be 30 or so? But I can't explain why. Certainly looks like that, what are you studying?

German BO is indeed boring. I am a REALLY chatty person in real life. Like I talk all the time🙈🙈🤣🤣

Let's hope for a great hold in its 3rd Wend.

6 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

India ancient name is "Aryavarat" land of Aryan. The swastik sign and Aryan word are originated from Sanskrit.

Don't think that tells anything about what could have happened especially considering they pushed their own thoughts on those words and what they stood for.

6 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

Most of the posters are young here. Taruseth, Aristis and Brainbug, the ones I know.

Terrestrial is experienced. Perfect balance. German thread is good place to be.

How popular is Dark? Guessing from popularity across world, the home country will be pretty much huge.

Its also a kinda inactive place, but its true I like this thread.

Don't really know, to be honest haven't watched it but I also haven't watched anything on Netflix in like two months or so.

5 hours ago, Shanks said:

Asking a Slave, who has been completely obliterated and eaten up from inside by Brits- to chose between them and its Enemy? What obvious answer would be?

Loot is the Indian word which means- Spoils . How do you think it became part of MMO and RPG game? Yeah Brits not only took our wealth but they even took the word itself, lmao.

Number of Indians killed by brits account for more than few millions. The whole Bengal famine, 3 million deaths ere induced. The most of Army which died fighting for British Army were Indian Sepoys in World War. But have you ever seen any Hollywood World war movie where Indians were shown with in ranks of Allies? You know Indians to Brits number was 1:100 in war? For each British officer there were 100 Indian Sepoys? In Both World-Wars.

You think Germany would have been worst and we care?

But now that we have already been killed, oppressed and already looted and its already done and dusted few decades ago, we are people of patience- We let it go. We walk in peace now. 

They would choose the enemy because humans tend to have hope.

I think the point that the others try to make is that Nazi-Germany wouldn't have been better at least not when looking at what happened in Germany during that time. 

But we won't know what would have happened if Germany won the war and I think we all should be happy that it didn't happen.

4 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

And iirc, the Indian rebel army under Shubash Chander Bose, actually supported Japanese in East.

Germany and Russia had pact in the beginning too, I don't think those things mean much.

We don't even know what could have happened after the Allies lost the war, maybe Germany and Japan would have turned on each other. Pure speculation.

3 hours ago, Barnack said:

Considering the creation of independent India in 1947 vs the alternative division of India between Germany and Japan, seem like an rather easy choice no ?

That did sound strange to me, didn't the allied had a vast program trying to deprogram Nazy in germany (that failed on the first generation) ?

Yeah but quite a number of people still at least partly believed in the Nazi-ideology and the plan was for Germany to stand on its on feet again fast, partly as a wall against Russia (beginning of the cold war) so they filled all positions with people no matter there previous ideology so quite a lot of Nazis were in positions of power all the way up to the Bundesverfassungsgericht (something like the Supreme Court) and some of them lasted incredibly long, I think one of them (Geiger or so) was until nearly 1980 or so and I think he also was for a long time like 20+ years.

Nowadays a Judge in the Supreme Court can only work for ten years and then needs to step down (2 times a five year period).

2 hours ago, George Parr said:

You can't just randomly assume that Nazi-Germany would have tried to kill Indians. They didn't really care much for anyone who was outside of the territory they desired for themselves. Nor was there ever really a plan to kill everything that was deemed "substandard". Plenty of those people were "fine" enough to exist as workforce in German lands, or not really a nuisance if they were from a territory Germany didn't care about. If anything, getting India to break away from the British Empire would have been more interesting for Germany than trying to subjugate it. They had no problem at all allying themselves with "non-aryan" nations, or leaving other nations alone if they weren't of much interest. There never really was a defined rule as of what was okay and what wasn't, they made it up as they went, and created exceptions whenever it worked better. India, as likely birthplace of the Aryans wouldn't have been deemed inferior. Japan, was techncially also part of the "substandard" people, but were deemed "honorary aryans" due to their nature and being allied with them. If there is one country Indians would have needed to look out for, it's Japan. Because it kind of had a thing for creating a "free" asian territory, that consisted of subjugated puppet-states. Then again, that probably wouldn't have been all that different from being a puppet to Britain.

The thing with denazification is that the Allies quickly realized that they needed plenty of bureaucrats that worked for the Nazis, because there was no other way to run the state without them. So while there were efforts going on, especially right after the war, quite a bit wasn't really dealt with. The people really just wanted to have peace at that point and forget about what just happened. So while there was quite a bit of denazification, the 70s and increased effort to talk about this past certainly helped a lot.

We don't really know if they would have stopped after they got the territory and what they might have done. 

2 hours ago, Barnack said:

Considering that they got out of being a puppet to Britain as soon as 1947, that seem extremely improbable that the scenario isn't different. It is hard to imagine Ghandi non violent technique being efficient against the German Nazi or Japan Empire regime.

Apparently yes, the latest was if the axis won the War Japan would have owned India/Afghanistan, with Germany owning the part that became Pakistan.

Agree with you. 

Back to BO:

4 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

So The Lion King is also released in Hindi in Germany. That's cool fact for being SRKian.

What???

Maybe In Berlin, Munich or Frankfurt. Didn't see a showing for it though.

Today its supposed to be 30 °C again so maybe today won't be so good. We will have a slight idea in the evening. Still hope for 300k over the weekdays. Seriously Germany had a meh opening and now the countries that it opened way better in have even better legs.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IndustriousAngel said:

Germany's Top20 last weekend:

title

admissions

th.

PTA

total adm.

total €

drop

week

The Lion King

Pets 2

Spider-Man - Far From Home

Yesterday

Die drei !!!

-

Annabelle 3

Dolor y gloria

-

Aladdin

Five Feet Apart

Der Junge muss an die frische Luft

+167

Anna

Bohemian Rhapsody

+37

Abikalypse

-

Rocketman

John Wick 3

25km/h

+145

Child's Play

Qu'est-ce qu'on a encore fait au Bon Dieu?

+61

Men in Black - International

+70

Avengers - Endgame

+22

Much better weekend than expected, Lion King and especially Pets2 with sweet holds, and longrunning domestic hit bio Der Junge muss an die frische Luft is back in the Top10! Also a good opening for Almodóvar's latest; fine PTA and maybe a slight expansion next week.

Next weekend: Leberkäsjunkie, the 6th in the series of Rita Falk's Bavarian crime comedy adaptions, will hit theaters and might become #2 behind Lion King; the series has shown a steady upwards trend and 1mil total are nearly a given. Also a contender for #2: Fast & Furious Presents: Hobbs & Shaw, a release I find very hard to predict; presales are weak but the franchise has shown a lot of potential. (At my theater, Leberkäsjunkie leads presales but in northern Germany numbers will be reverse). For small kids, Benjamin Blümchen will surely reach a respectable total (1mil total region I'd say) but not a big opening.

Honestly don't even know if Leberkäsejunkie will even get released in all theatres here. Will take a look tomorrow evening.

4 hours ago, titanic2187 said:

Bohemian rhapsody keeps rising.....breaking 3.6m total, open cinema is indeed popular. Are those open cinema mosquito-free?  

No...

Tuesday for TLK:

3D 17:00: 34

3D 20:20: 85

3D 22:30: 7

2D 17:30: 25

2D 19:30: 115

2D 22:00: 18

Total: 284 (5&8 pm: 259)

Monday: 258

So the 5&8 pm showings are 1 ticket above yesterday.

Using Thursday as a comp Tuesday would be 133k!

Using the whole Wend (1345) as a comp would be 121k. 

Seriously this movie should have over 300k over the course of the Wends. And to be fully honest they should be on par with the last ones actually, but that is probably a little too much to ask and might be more of this theatre performing weird. I honestly am interested in what it will do this following weekend and honestly it would be amazing if it hold well so we finally have some positives things to say about this.

Disney should have the top 4 movies at the end of the year (Endgame, TLK, Frozen 2 and RTOS) all above 4M compared to last year where no movie made it past 3.9M. In 2017 3 made it past 4M but one of those had 6.1M and the others 5.9M adm. 2016 Rogue one failed to reach 4M by less than 6k add and 4 more films were within 171k of the 4m mark.

Last Year with more than 4 movies with at least 4M admissions was 2015, though that was a totally different type of year. 8! movies above that the bottom 4 between 4.07 and 4.42M and then nothing until 6.95 and 7.09M. and then 7.7M as #2 and 9.06M at #1.

So in a way this should be a good year on top but I fear that this year might only end with one movie between 3 and 4 million and I'd say that will be It if it gets past the 3M. Furthermore I think no movie might end above 2.3m. Making it kinda good on the top and then rather weak behind that.

Edited by Taruseth

7 hours ago, Taruseth said:

We don't really know if they would have stopped after they got the territory and what they might have done. 

True, we can't really be sure what they would have done. But that goes both ways. You made claims about what they would have done with India, which weren't really supported by their actual behaviour. Now, their behaviour could change in an instant, but there wasn't really anything about them that truly aimed for a conquest of the world, or subjugation of everyone living on it. There were plenty of instances were they allied themselves with people that didn't fit into their view of superiority, and they often didn't care all that much about territory that wasn't of particular interest to them. India was no different. There wasn't any particular interest in it beyond weakening the United Kingdom once the war was going on.

Oddly enough, full radicalisation came mostly the more critical the war was going. Before that, some territories were held and exploited due to the desire to gain more land (and some specific groups, especially Jews, were obviously hunted down), but plenty of territory was only held for its strategic purposes, with no real long-term plans. E.g. the idea of germanizing the nordic countries only took off when the war was all but lost. Denmark even got to keep its social-democratic goverment until 1943.

Then again, I'm only a hobby-historian, though I once thought about actually studying it properly ;)

This discussion might be a bit off-topic, but at least it brings some activity beyond sharing reports about the horrid state of the German box office, even if it is by talking about something even more horrific :P

• Like 3

2 hours ago, George Parr said:

True, we can't really be sure what they would have done. But that goes both ways. You made claims about what they would have done with India, which weren't really supported by their actual behaviour. Now, their behaviour could change in an instant, but there wasn't really anything about them that truly aimed for a conquest of the world, or subjugation of everyone living on it. There were plenty of instances were they allied themselves with people that didn't fit into their view of superiority, and they often didn't care all that much about territory that wasn't of particular interest to them. India was no different. There wasn't any particular interest in it beyond weakening the United Kingdom once the war was going on.

Oddly enough, full radicalisation came mostly the more critical the war was going. Before that, some territories were held and exploited due to the desire to gain more land (and some specific groups, especially Jews, were obviously hunted down), but plenty of territory was only held for its strategic purposes, with no real long-term plans. E.g. the idea of germanizing the nordic countries only took off when the war was all but lost. Denmark even got to keep its social-democratic goverment until 1943.

Then again, I'm only a hobby-historian, though I once thought about actually studying it properly ;)

This discussion might be a bit off-topic, but at least it brings some activity beyond sharing reports about the horrid state of the German box office, even if it is by talking about something even more horrific :P

I was mainly speculating if they really would have stopped after they got what they wanted or maybe they would have decided to continue. Normally people tend to get power hungry once they got a certain part. Though as you point out that is sure speculation.

Wouldn't a theoretical interest be securing of power though, but for that fighting the Britisch Empire out of India and then staying out of it probably would have been a lot more logical. Though they also "allied" themselves with Russia before the war and that didn't last very long. So maybe they would have gone a similar road.

Yeah, that's true, probably a more efficient way to win, let people keep doing what they do and let them pretend their life is good.

Never thought about studying maybe when I was in year 8 or so and still found the history lessons in school interesting, my teacher in year 9 and 10 was able to change really fast though. In year 8 I was sure I would take History as one of my LKs and in the end I only had it for two hours a week in year 11 and then got rid of it...

It certainly is off-topic. Kinda depressing that we only talk about things like that.

@Charlie Jatinder Hey, that's nothing to laugh about, I simply don't understand much of stochastic beyond the basics. Always has been what I couldn't grasp in math.

Edited by Taruseth
Apparently I also suck at English, considering I wrote love instead of laugh. Ups.
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, George Parr said:

about what they would have done with India, which weren't really supported by their actual behaviour. Now, their behaviour could change in an instant, but there wasn't really anything about them that truly aimed for a conquest of the world, or subjugation of everyone living on it. There were plenty of instances were they allied themselves with people that didn't fit into their view of superiority, and they often didn't care all that much about territory that wasn't of particular interest to them

They never allied with someone they considered inferior

The moment their allies did not fulfil their roles, see e.g. the mentioned Italians, they took over or ignored the contracts, see Russia, as an example for the difference see how they treated Russian PoW in comparison to western European PoW.

All of their behaviour shows that.

The world... no, but the UK ruled countries as far as possible, yes. Access to oil... the countries and regions providing that, yes. Regions not helping with providing important to them natural resources or without tactical importance, less likely.

India - Japanese ruled, more probable, but it was about Nazis as an alternative ruling to the Brits, Nazis seen as preferable to the Brits see the earlier posts by some of our members from India, not what were the real long term goals of the Nazis.

Btw:

guess with whom they spoke about needed law changes, legal formulations, even treaty formulations....

6 hours ago, Taruseth said:

history

its interesting how many of us Germans here love History or even planed to / actually do study it. 😉

I was fully working in technical companies after the school (now working for a school based on an accident that does not allow to do my old profession any-more and other reasons), but the original plan was to either study history or get an apprenticeship as an ~ art glass restaurateur see churches and more (as average archaeology workers were far too many and not paid well).

Still love history, son thinks about studying it too (but he has another focus than me). Our holidays are always very history / other cultures orientated, never mass tourisms (what I consider very boring and way too much missed opportunities)

• Like 1