#2 The Grinch 317.5k (+19%)

#3 Mary Poppins 192.5k / 210k with previews

#4 100 Dinge 155k (+10%)

#5 Bumblebee 137.5k / 155k

#6 FB2 135k (-16%)

#7 Bohemian Rapsody 75k (-1%)

#8 Mortal Engines 65k (-40%)

#9 Tabaluga 55k (-2%)

#10 Spider-Man 47.5k (-30% / -34.5% with previews)

Fantastic Beasts 2 is only about 75k behind Infinity War for top movie of the year. It should either pass it by Wednesday or sometime during the upcoming weekend. Afterwards, the only remaining question will be whether the holidays are helping enough to push it to number 1 in terms of Euro as well. Should need something like 3.8m admissions for that.

2018 should still end up with the lowest no.1 ever. A record currently held by 2016, with Rogue One sitting a few k below 4m. Which isn't meant to be a criticism of FB2, the movie did increase over part one after all, making Germany one of the few places were the franchise didn't lose steam. It is however a sign of how putrid the year was. Especially when you consider that 2016 saw another four movies between 3.91 and 3.83m admissions behind Rogue One, plus FB at around 3.5m, while this year only got three movies above the 3m mark, with just FB2 likely getting past 3.5m.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, George Parr said:

Weekend estimates:

#1 Aquaman 350k / 377.5k with previews

#4 100 Dinge 155k (+10%)

#6 FB2 135k (-16%)

#9 Tabaluga 55k (-2%)

Fantastic Beasts 2 is only about 75k behind Infinity War for top movie of the year. It should either pass it by Wednesday or sometime during the upcoming weekend. Afterwards, the only remaining question will be whether the holidays are helping enough to push it to number 1 in terms of Euro as well. Should need something like 3.8m admissions for that.

2018 should still end up with the lowest no.1 ever. A record currently held by 2016, with Rogue One sitting a few k below 4m. Which isn't meant to be a criticism of FB2, the movie did increase over part one after all, making Germany one of the few places were the franchise didn't lose steam. It is however a sign of how putrid the year was. Especially when you consider that 2016 saw another four movies between 3.91 and 3.83m admissions behind Rogue One, plus FB at around 3.5m, while this year only got three movies above the 3m mark, with just FB2 likely getting past 3.5m.

Can someone tell me Austria Box Office of an Indian Movie called Zero starring Shah Rukh Khan, released on 21st Dec? 

1 hour ago, George Parr said:

Weekend estimates:

#1 Aquaman 350k / 377.5k with previews

#4 100 Dinge 155k (+10%)

#6 FB2 135k (-16%)

#9 Tabaluga 55k (-2%)

That is the worst part and Fifty Shades only barely got past the 3M mark.
I hope FB2 won't drop much to next weekend. That would mean it stands at about 3.5M adm. And after that with somewhat steady declines I think it should be able to do about 3.8M adm. to barely get #1 in €.

And hopefully BR can hand in a little longer to get past 2.5M and maybe even a little further.

Merry Christmas🎄

Edited by Taruseth
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

That is the worst part and Fifty Shades only barely got past the 3M mark.
I hope FB2 won't drop much to next weekend. That would mean it stands at about 3.5M adm. And after that with somewhat steady declines I think it should be able to do about 3.8M adm. to barely get #1 in €.

And hopefully BR can hand in a little longer to get past 2.5M and maybe even a little further.

Merry Christmas🎄

I guess everything will increase next week, given that the market is quieter this year without mega hit like SW and Hobbit

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GoodOrBad said:

Can someone tell me Austria Box Office of an Indian Movie called Zero starring Shah Rukh Khan, released on 21st Dec? 

Actual numbers always take a while. From what I have seen it isn't in the top 10 in the estimates for Austria, but I don't think that it was a really wide-release anyway. It's rare for a movie that gets shown in the original language with German subtitles to get a lot of shows.

Edited by George Parr

5 hours ago, GoodOrBad said:

atm it's playing in exactly 3 cinemas so it will take some time before numbers get reported - weekend take must be less than 10.000 US$, probably nearer to 5.000

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, IndustriousAngel said:

maybe some WOM but won't help much, it's down to small screens and many theaters offer only 3D which is bad for admissions

As fas as I see Aquaman is 3d only too

11 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Why would they do that?

Because most theatres in germany still stick with the only play the movie in 3d bullshit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

Because most theatres in germany still stick with the only play the movie in 3d bullshit.

And that exact circumstance is the main reason why i see less and less movies each year at the cinema. I hate 3D, it offers nothing, makes the film darker and is more expensive. And im sure most people think the same.

I dont understand why our cinemas dont get that.

• Like 2

1st trend is up, everything is up from last weekend, apart from the movie with a christmas-theme:

#1 Der Junge muss an die frische Luft 450k (590k 6-day)

#2 Aquaman 400k (+15% / +6% with previews)

#3 Marry Poppins 275k (+43% / +31% with previews)

#4 The Grinch 250k (-21%)

#5 100 Dinge 190k (+23%)

#6 Bumblebee 175k (+27% /  +13% with previews)

#7 Fantastic Beasts 2 165k (+22%)

#8 Bohemian Rapsody 100k (+33%)

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, George Parr said:

1st trend is up, everything is up from last weekend, apart from the movie with a christmas-theme:

#1 Der Junge muss an die frische Luft 450k (590k 6-day)

#2 Aquaman 400k (+15% / +6% with previews)

#3 Marry Poppins 275k (+43% / +31% with previews)

#4 The Grinch 250k (-21%)

#5 100 Dinge 190k (+23%)

#6 Bumblebee 175k (+27% /  +13% with previews)

#7 Fantastic Beasts 2 165k (+22%)

#8 Bohemian Rapsody 100k (+33%)

Looks quite good, I'd say roughly the same as the same weekend last year.

Edited by Taruseth

"Der Junge muss ..." had a very early and wide start, so I suppose will come in 2nd for the weekend proper. (In Austria, probably a lot worse, german comedy is not that popular here with some noteworthy exceptions). With this kind of opening, 3mil might be possible!

Ok number for Aquaman, WOM seems decent. Quite big for a DC movie!

6 minutes ago, Aristis said:

With 165k FB2 is again much above FB1 (118k). FB1 had 3,25M after its 7th WE FB2 should be at 3,5M+. Maybe it can even top the 3,54M of its predecessor already... :)

I found it much superior to the original, but there weren't many like me here in the states. It's interesting to see how much better received it has been in Germany and France.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, A Star is Orm said:

I found it much superior to the original, but there weren't many like me here in the states. It's interesting to see how much better received it has been in Germany and France.

I think that partly has to do with one of the four worst years ever.

2 hours ago, A Star is Orm said:

I read somewhere that an explanation could be, that FB1 didn't do what it should have done for what it was (as part of the Wizarding World). So doing more than the first could partly be some kind of normalization... However, nobody can deny that FB2 has good WOM here.

FB2 has a lower multipler but a great one for a sequel:

FB1 x4,28 / x3,88 vs. FB2 x3,77 / x3,39 (Assuming 3,75M which is pretty conservative)

And especially late legs are great: After approaching in the beginning and mirroring each other FB2 is up from the first the last three WE.

Weekends of FB1 / FB2

#1  827k / 995k

#2  532k / 633k

#3  386k / 385k

#4  264k / 265k

#5  157k / 161k

#6  96k / 135k

#7  113k / 165k (early projection)

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1