IndustriousAngel

BO Germany/Austria: Dune 2 fine 2nd weekend

2 minutes ago, John Marston said:

I thought this release was to help avoid that. They should have waited then

No, it was absolutely the right decision. The world cup will go on until mid-July and we all know that Germany will probably reach the semi-finals or the finale again, barring a huge surprise. This way JW2 has exactly 0 competition for nearly 4 weeks as far as big blockbuster go while the World Cup is underway. Any free-falls it will experience on the days when Germany plays will be balanced out by that.

JW2 seeing a significant drop for its opening certainly isn't a sign of doom, it was to be expected. A total of around 3m would be a drop of somewhere between 25 and 33%, which seems rather normal. Especially with the last one getting a nostalgia boost.

Looking at the franchise as a whole:

JP: 9.367m admissions

Lost World: 5.53m (-41%)

JP3: 3.335m (-40%)

JW: 4.143m (+24%)

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, George Parr said:

JW2 seeing a significant drop for its opening certainly isn't a sign of doom, it was to be expected. A total of around 3m would be a drop of somewhere between 25 and 33%, which seems rather normal. Especially with the last one getting a nostalgia boost.

Looking at the franchise as a whole:

JP: 9.367m admissions

Lost World: 5.53m (-41%)

JP3: 3.335m (-40%)

JW: 4.143m (+24%)

I was always expecting a Lost-World like drop in the US and the european markets, so if it drops in the 35-43% region, it would be more than fine imo.

• Haha 1

JW 2 was screened in only 490 theaters yesterday according to insidekino.de, today it gets 700 (JW had 714). So JW 2 had another (little) disadvantage.

Edit: Mark_G is not sure if that number, 490, is correct. Could have been also higher. IDK, somehow we don't get many informations around this film which started with the very late reviews...

Edited by el sid

Unfortunately we get only South-West reports from insidekino/forum today:

The South-West report counted today for JW2 1.671 admissions (JW three years ago had 3.376), for Solo 433 admissions (last week 1.449), DP2 had 418 admissions (2.008), and 77 A: IW (528) in the selected theaters → sadly pretty harsh drops (no holiday this Thursday) and JW 2 with ca. 50% of the first Jurassic World movie but it's OD (2015) vs. second day of release (2018) and therefore not completely fair.

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom is released in 700 theaters (JW: 714). Most reviews are mediocre or good, between 4 and 8/10. The first movie had 903.141 admissions OW and 145k on its release day (a Thursday). 
Mark_G predicts (only) 650k/725k/3M admissions OW/Wednesday-Sunday/total, the Drebins 600k/2.2M. The holdovers could each lose 50%.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, HH84 said:

WED (62.5k) + THU (72k) =  139.5k and the first trend in the insidekino forum is 500-550k for the 5 day start.

what was JW1's Wed + Thu and 5-day start?

55 minutes ago, A2k Rex said:

JW opened on Thursday with 145k and 900k for the weekend. Incredible weather back then, the movie had a flat hold the following weekend.

Very bad news for JW2.

But there's bad news for pretty much every movie in Germany now, everything is depressed.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, A2k Rex said:

JW only had a regular 4-day start. Opening with 145k on Thursday and finishing the weekend with a total of 903k. It also stayed flat for the second weekend, due to the first one being hit by great weather.

Minor correction to the numbers given by HH84: the Wednesday is 67.5k not 62.5k, which I guess was just a typo because the total is correct ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some other Thursday actuals (source Blickpunkt:Film):

The new releases:

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom: already said 72k/992k US$
No Game, No Life: Zero: 6.750 (ca. 170 theaters, no reviews)
Swimming With Men: 1.5k (99 theaters, very mixed reviews)

The holdovers:

DP 2: 19k (62k)
Solo: 18k (actuals last Thursday 70k)
A: IW: 4k (17k)

Edited by el sid
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, HH84 said:

WED (62.5k) + THU (72k) =  139.5k and the first trend in the insidekino forum is 500-550k for the 5 day start.

So 67.5k to 72k is an increase of just 6.7%, that is totally not in line with the local theaters as they increased more than 200% (okay Wednesday also was absolutely horrendous and looked more like a movie that opens to 250k for the total weekend and has no rush at all.

For whats its worth, Thursday actually was worse than Wednesday at my theater. Its Friday and Saturday that look very promising (nearly sold-outs in some showings), but Sunday looks (understandibly) rather tame.

1 hour ago, Poseidon said:

Keep in mind, that the low opening could have something to do with Universal not allowing 2D showings for the movie. 

It's crazy that they're forcing that one (terrible) format on an audience -  where the audience has clearly indicated they're increasingly not interested in it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

It's crazy that they're forcing that one (terrible) format on an audience -  where the audience has clearly indicated they're increasingly not interested in it.

The thing is though that still enough people come. I think it will only stop, when there are some big 3D blockbuster flops in a row and at the same time, 2D films have to massively overperform to show the theaters that the time of 3D has to be over. I dont think that will ever happen though :(

5 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

The thing is though that still enough people come. I think it will only stop, when there are some big 3D blockbuster flops in a row and at the same time, 2D films have to massively overperform to show the theaters that the time of 3D has to be over. I dont think that will ever happen though :(

is JW2 not being shown in 2D ever then? or is it just a delayed release for it

12 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

In the U.S. 3D is by far the slowest selling format and theaters now routinely have more 2D shows than 3D and even IMAX has now split the showings into 2D and 3D.   3D only benefits with the big films because other showings sell out.  Otherwise they're probably losing more causal business.   It's becoming more and more of a niche experience that a small % of people actually enjoy and choose first. 

I'm ready to pay a 3D charge if the movie was actually shot in 3D (which, done right,  is a pretty difficult affair) and if the pictures warrant the format. I'm not paying money for converted 3D where only the CGI scenes are "real" 3D.

Hard drop for JW2 - 550k for a 5-day weekend when the first one managed 900 on a 4-day under difficult conditions? You got to be joking ... 3mil are dead and 2mil in danger. Another possible blockbuster going down the 2018 drain ... much like Solo btw.