IndustriousAngel

BO Germany/Austria: Dune 2 fine 2nd weekend

4 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I was checking Inglorious Basterds numbers, it did huge in Germany. How come so?

I mean it is anti-Nazi and have many German killings, so how do it fare that well. In fact, how do anti-Nazi films do there? What's general preception of people towards Hitler.

Germany is pretty anti-Nazi too so that definitely won't hurt.

And in general they don't do worse than other movies.

Also Germany is barely patriotic and most around my age, I am 21, aren't patriotic at all because what do we have we could be patriotic about when Hitler and Nazi-Germany, Holocaust was caused by germans (without wanting to sound cynical).

It was #16 in that year in admissions, so big but nothing extraordinary. Schindler's list for example did 6.2M so three times that number and was fifth (behind TLK, Forrest Gump, Der bewegte Mann und The Flintstones). And I saw Schindler's list in school, think it was in year 10 or so (2013/2014). Most read The Diary of a Young Girl in school, I did in year 8. In year 10 in history the main topic was WW2 and the Holocaust, same in Religion and its a topic in german too. And in the Oberstufe (year 11 and 12 (and 13 in some parts)) its one of the topics too.

The perception towards Hitler changed shortly after the war it wasn't really that prominent of a topic and people tried to pretend that it wasn't that bad and it wasn't talked about it much if at all. But around the 70s (basically after the economy got good again) it got a more prominent topic because people learned in school and movies how wide spread the awful things that had been done were and it couldn't be ignored. And now it's this:

4 hours ago, cannastop said:

Uhh. The mainstream opinion is that Hitler was the worst person to ever exist and the 1930s to 1945 is the greatest shame Germany will ever have.

[...]

People have just realised that it was absolutely atrocious what happened and also how fast it happened and how easily democracy was erased and how many people just moved along with it because everyone did.

So no one can or needs to pretend like it didn't happen so see something about it in a movie isn't something that makes it harder to deny.

And everyone knows that ones great-grandparents were part of the war. I know that one of my great-grandfathers was in Russia, one was in France, and so on.

For example the day of german unity is the 3rd October the day the BRD and DDR formally fully became one country (3rd October 1990), it has nothing to do with the fall of the Berlin wall, that was almost a full year earlier in the night from the 9th November to the 10th November 1989 because in 1938 that was the night of the Novemberpogrome (it was initially called (Reichs-)Kristallnacht, translating to crystal night) when throughout Germany the SA and civilians destroyed Jewish-owned stores, buildings and synagogues and hundreds were murdered.

Edited by Taruseth
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

First of all what cannastop says is right, it's the opinion here. Maybe a vanishingly small minority has another one.
But I would not say that Germans in general are unpatriotic (do you remember the football WM of 2006, it was mainly the youth (really very young people) which discovered the fan parks and taverns with flags and singing and so on). But in comparisons with many other countries it's on a lower level. It also depends a lot in which state or better said region you live. For example, in Bavaria (in parts of Munich it's different) people are pretty home-loving (that word is a good example by the way: The German word here is "heimatverbunden" which would be something like "home-connected", the English word is -loving).

I guess especially combined with entertainment a film like Inglourious Basterds could work here because nobody identifies with nazis so no problem if they are killed. I heard (did not see the film) that also some „normal“ soldiers die, maybe that wasn't too popular but people didn't know when they bought a ticket. And probably some moviegoers did just not care.
But also films like Das Boot (still pretty well known and got a remake) or some in recent years broadcasted TV- films (despite bad reviews Die Gustloff or Die Fluch) and series which showed human beings on both sides did very well here whereas longer memorial day reports are broadcasted only pretty late on TV by (very) small TV-stations.
 Overall the nazi time is of course still a theme here but (hard to find the right words in English) in multifarious manifestations (see also the mentioned Er ist wieder da or satirical jokes in comedy-shows - personally I don't get the joke but maybe in the films it's explained. I did not see it).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, el sid said:

First of all what cannastop says is right, it's the opinion here. Maybe a vanishingly small minority has another one.
But I would not say that Germans in general are unpatriotic (do you remember the football WM of 2006, it was mainly the youth (really very young people) which discovered the fan parks and taverns with flags and singing and so on). But in comparisons with many other countries it's on a lower level. It also depends a lot in which state or better said region you live. For example, in Bavaria (in parts of Munich it's different) people are pretty home-loving (that word is a good example by the way: The German word here is "heimatverbunden" which would be something like "home-connected", the English word is -loving).

I guess especially combined with entertainment a film like Inglourious Basterds could work here because nobody identifies with nazis so no problem if they are killed. I heard (did not see the film) that also some „normal“ soldiers die, maybe that wasn't too popular but people didn't know when they bought a ticket. And probably some moviegoers did just not care.
But also films like Das Boot (still pretty well known and got a remake) or some in recent years broadcasted TV- films (despite bad reviews Die Gustloff or Die Fluch) and series which showed human beings on both sides did very well here whereas longer memorial day reports are broadcasted only pretty late on TV by (very) small TV-stations.
 Overall the nazi time is of course still a theme here but (hard to find the right words in English) in multifarious manifestations (see also the mentioned Er ist wieder da or satirical jokes in comedy-shows - personally I don't get the joke but maybe in the films it's explained. I did not see it).

Yeah, unless it's WM then Germany is suddenly patriotic. But in 2006 during the WM I was 7 and I don't like football so I tried to mostly ignore it. And always find it weird when people suddenly have their flags in their car windows during a wm but after it immediately put it away and then it catches dust for four years.

Yeah, true but at least in northern Germany in general close to no one is patriotic or maybe I just have contact with most people that aren't and in University almost no one is patriotic, though it should be said most Universities are more leftest leaning than the general public.

I don't think people mind "normal" soldiers dying in movies.

Edited by Taruseth
  • Like 2

There's also handball WM and Olympia and so on ;). But I get what you mean and with being 7 years old and no fan, it's understandable that you didn't mind.

PS: With normal soldiers dying I meant e.g. if in a James Bond movie e.g. the Soviets defend a factory or a building and unfortunately cross James Bond's path. Sometimes I felt uncomfortable in these situations but of course then you would have less fun with a lot of films or series. It's easier if somebody actively protects a villainous dictator in e.g. an action film.

PPS: What I actually wanted to say: Insidekino.de sees in their August forecast 2.2M admissions for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, that's more than I expected.
The top 5:
#1 UOaTiH 2.2M
#2 Hobbs & Shaw 1.4M
#3 Toy Story also 1.4M
#4 Leberkäsjunkie 1.0M
#5 Benjamin Blümchen 0.7M

Edited by el sid

@Charlie Jatinder

The main reason most german people are not patriotic at all is mostly due to the education system. We are beeing taught in school from early on that what our nation did in the Second World War was a so-called "Zivillisationsbruch" (Breakdown of Zivilisation), that the Nazis were absolutely evil and that the german state has the duty to always remember the crimes. In such a climate, you wont find many pro-nationalistic stans (though some do exist still *cough* AfD* cough*)

Now, as a history student and since im generally very interested in politics and especially political history, Germany is unique in the world in that it has a so-called "Erinnerungskultur" - Culture of Remembrance, which is present in everyday life all the time. No other nation has such a widespread and accepted way of dealing with the past. Thats another reason patriotism has a hard stand in our country.

A cynic would say that is only because we lost the war. If we would have won, half the world would probably speak german right now and the crimes would be a banned topic. Im probably speaking for most germans if i say that im glad we lost the 2nd world war and im glad that we dont ignore those crimes. Nationalism has lead to the devastation of european culture two times in the 20th century and we dont need that ever again.

And i mean nationalism by that. Patriotism is something i dont consider negative at all. Im personally a patriot for our democratic system and im especially a patriot when our Football team plays.

I didnt want to write that much but i think its clear that this is a very complicated and complex thematic.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, el sid said:

There's also handball WM and Olympia and so on ;). But I get what you mean and with being 7 years old and no fan, it's understandable that you didn't mind.

PS: With normal soldiers dying I meant e.g. if in a James Bond movie e.g. the Soviets defend a factory or a building and unfortunately cross James Bond's path. Sometimes I felt uncomfortable in these situations but of course then you would have less fun with a lot of films or series. It's easier if somebody actively protects a villainous dictator in e.g. an action film.

PPS: What I actually wanted to say: Insidekino.de sees in their August forecast 2.2M admissions for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood, that's more than I expected.
The top 5:
#1 UOaTiH 2.2M
#2 Hobbs & Shaw 1.4M
#3 Toy Story also 1.4M
#4 Leberkäsjunkie 1.0M

But Handball WMs aren't that obvious in public at least with flags, I don't see many during that or Olympia. Though I actually find Handball more interesting than football.

Ah, okay, but they die in most movies and people tend to not really care, like in almost every movie people get killed.

16 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

@Charlie Jatinder

The main reason most german people are not patriotic at all is mostly due to the education system. We are beeing taught in school from early on that what our nation did in the Second World War was a so-called "Zivillisationsbruch" (Breakdown of Zivilisation), that the Nazis were absolutely evil and that the german state has the duty to always remember the crimes. In such a climate, you wont find many pro-nationalistic stans (though some do exist still *cough* AfD* cough*)

Now, as a history student and since im generally very interested in politics and especially political history, Germany is unique in the world in that it has a so-called "Erinnerungskultur" - Culture of Remembrance, which is present in everyday life all the time. No other nation has such a widespread and accepted way of dealing with the past. Thats another reason patriotism has a hard stand in our country.

A cynic would say that is only because we lost the war. If we would have won, half the world would probably speak german right now and the crimes would be a banned topic. Im probably speaking for most germans if i say that im glad we lost the 2nd world war and im glad that we dont ignore those crimes. Nationalism has lead to the devastation of european culture two times in the 20th century and we dont need that ever again.

And i mean nationalism by that. Patriotism is something i dont consider negative at all. Im personally a patriot for our democratic system and im especially a patriot when our Football team plays.

I didnt want to write that much but i think its clear that this is a very complicated and complex thematic.

Agree with you.

Also in general I think that the people that post here share the same opinion about it.

I don't consider being patriotic negativ but I just think that most people in Germany aren't really patriotic and to be honest neither am I.

Regarding Box Office:

Might do a final count on Wednesday evening for Hobbs&Shaw considering I write an exam Wednesday morning. Don't even know why I am on here, lol. (stupid me). It's not worth doing it before hand as the sales look rather awful from a first gaze through them.

Might look into TS4 during it final days of presales too as they lucky are after the 9th.

Edited by Taruseth
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

But Handball WMs aren't that obvious in public at least with flags, I don't see many during that or Olympia. Though I actually find Handball more interesting than football.

Because Handball is the Saarland compared to Football, which is more like Bayern. Football is just THE sport in our country.

1 hour ago, Brainbug said:

If we would have won, 

I for one would have wanted Germany to win. I mean, what option do I have, to chose between two evils.

Yeah Hitler killed Jews but British killed many more times Indians. Loot us for more than two centuries. Winston Churchill killed tens of millions of Indians to fund their war. Hundereds of Thousands Indian men killed in combat for their war.

For me both sides were evil and ofcourse America dropping/giving the world nukes. Ugh.

Gandhi and Congress were idiots to support British during WW2.

Edited by Charlie Jatinder
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I for one would have wanted Germany to win. I mean, what option do I have, to chose between two evils.

Yeah Hitler killed Jews but British killed many more times Indians. Loot us for more than two centuries. Winston Churchill killed tens of millions of Indians to fund their war. Hundereds of Thousands Indian men killed in combat for their war.

For me both sides were evil and ofcourse America dropping/giving the world nukes. Ugh.

Gandhi and Congress were idiots to support British during WW2.

Its all a matter of perspective of course and where you come from. In War, there is no real "good" and "evil" and both sides think they fight for the right thing.

But at the end of the day, War always means suffering. Especially suffering among civilians. Thats why im just grateful to live in a time, where a major war between world powers is unlikely.

And i think we should now get back to BO^^

Edited by Brainbug
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Its all a matter of perspective of course and where you come from. In War, there is no real "good" and "evil" and both sides think they fight for the right thing.

But at the end of the day, War always means suffering. Especially suffering among civilians. Thats why im just grateful to live in a time, where a major war between world powers is unlikely.

And i think we should now get back to BO^^

leave the past be

• Like 1

This whole discussion is an issue for its own Thread (at least where it leads away from why movies about Nazis did well in Germany). But I want to add some things nonetheless...

The following probably has nothing to do with BO so...

Spoiler

As for patriotism: I think the whole idea of being proud for something you didn't do anything about is kinda strange, that's why I'm opposed to things like Gay or Black Pride too (not that I wouldn't support their movements for same rights, just in case anyone could be offended, but pride to me is a wrong word in that context - but that's probably a whole new issue that shouldnt be opened). That being said, I'm happy that I'm german cause I like many cultural achievments - in classical music or literature - and like the way of living here (and that, other than many countries like Japan or Italy, Germans faced their history to learn from it; I reject the whole responibility talk though). Looking into the future (even though I'm just 22) I tend to cultural pessimism though.

As for who should've won the war: We don't know what the world would have become if Germany won WW2. But I don't think their ideology would have been a good thing to build on. WW2 occurring, in its inevitability after WW1, had one good thing maybe (apart from making a timeline where I live 😬) : I was shocked when I learned that reparations should have been paid until 1988...

As for developments in that issue: I think we live in a time where the whole form of German remembrance is renegotiated and probably polarized between anti-germans on the left and patriots on the right. Which leads towards BO again: I think a movie like Inglourious Basterds could be more divisive today than it was back then (?).

Als Hitler das rosa Kaninchen stahl (When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit) will probably be another sign of how movies about Nazis do in Germany when it comes out in Dezember.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, el sid said:

The top 5:
#1 UOaTiH 2.2M
#2 Hobbs & Shaw 1.4M
#3 Toy Story also 1.4M
#4 Leberkäsjunkie 1.0M

I hope OUaTiH can do even a bit better than this. Not much more to expect from the rest of those probably...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

I for one would have wanted Germany to win. I mean, what option do I have, to chose between two evils

As Indians aren't Arians, and other reasons, if the had won, they'd have killed more Indians than the Brits.

Highly organised mass killings. The diff is the highly organised detail.

And I do see the Brits of the past (certain company and...) as similar evil, as they e.g. invented concentration camps, biological warfare, to scalp native Americans and so on.

But lets get back to German BO here....

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Aristis said:

This whole discussion is an issue for its own Thread (at least where it leads away from why movies about Nazis did well in Germany). But I want to add some things nonetheless...

The following probably has nothing to do with BO so...

Hide contents

As for patriotism: I think the whole idea of being proud for something you didn't do anything about is kinda strange, that's why I'm opposed to things like Gay or Black Pride too (not that I wouldn't support their movements for same rights, just in case anyone could be offended, but pride to me is a wrong word in that context - but that's probably a whole new issue that shouldnt be opened). That being said, I'm happy that I'm german cause I like many cultural achievments - in classical music or literature - and like the way of living here (and that, other than many countries like Japan or Italy, Germans faced their history to learn from it; I reject the whole responibility talk though). Looking into the future (even though I'm just 22) I tend to cultural pessimism though.

As for who should've won the war: We don't know what the world would have become if Germany won WW2. But I don't think their ideology would have been a good thing to build on. WW2 occurring, in its inevitability after WW1, had one good thing maybe (apart from making a timeline where I live 😬) : I was shocked when I learned that reparations should have been paid until 1988...

As for developments in that issue: I think we live in a time where the whole form of German remembrance is renegotiated and probably polarized between anti-germans on the left and patriots on the right. Which leads towards BO again: I think a movie like Inglourious Basterds could be more divisive today than it was back then (?).

Als Hitler das rosa Kaninchen stahl (When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit) will probably be another sign of how movies about Nazis do in Germany when it comes out in Dezember.

What you put in the Hide content box is really true and you put it well.

Spoiler

I honestly don't really know why we really should renegotiate it considering that one of the main critic points from the right that we are made to feel guilty for it wasn't the truth, at least not in the school where I went. Because learning about something and all the crimes that were committed isn't equal to make someone feel guilty for it. And that germans did it is a fact. And I think it's important to learn about both sides of a countries history. And that doesn't mean I hate Germany.

Honestly thinking about different outcomes of the war is pure speculation and I don't think anyone gains anything from it. One can do a fictional series about it (Man in the high castle).

And I think its really good that Germany lost.

Also didn't knew you were 22🙈

Back to BO:

3D 17:00: 41

3D 20:20: 91

2D 17:30: 69

2D 19:30: 57

Total: 258

Which is above both Thursday and Friday.

Using Thursday as a comp Monday would be 133k!

Using the whole Wend (1345) as a comp would be 121k. 

So I'd say Wdays should be above 300k, which would mean a 2.4M total after Wednesday.

And then a 600k 3rd Wend (after that Thursday and Friday... joking it was hot but they weren't even that bad to be honest). Probably going to be more like a 400k weekend.

None the less this would mean that it will end with more than 3.5M.

a 600k Weekend would (this is the important word here, as this is just pure and utter optimism by me and unrealistic af) mean a 3M total already. Which should put the final total above 4M.

On 7/22/2019 at 10:11 AM, Taruseth said:

Monday morning estimates:

TLK: 920k (+210k = 1130k)

FFH: 145k (Cume 1240k)

Pets 2: 145k (Cume: 1450k)

Yesterday: 70k

Annabelle 3: 50k

920k*3 = 2760k (disaster) (unlikely)

920k*3.5 = 3220k (meh)

920k*3.75 = 3450 (okay)

Most likely to land hear if the past is anything to go by.

920k*3.9 = 3588k (somewhat good) 

920k*4 = 3680k (nearly good)

920k*4.1 = 3772k (good)

920k*4.25 = 3910k (good) (highly unlikely)

920k*4.5 = 4140k (really good)

920k*5 = 4600k (incredibly good)

Second weekend will be really important, if it's below 500k its more likely headed towards less than 3500k, if it's better its probably headed towards more than that. If it's, which is almost totally impossible, above 700k than I'd say it's headed to a total north of 4M.

Most likely will land around 490-510k, though obviously WOM and weather can push this in both direction, hot and bad WOM and we could be looking at a Wend below 400k, bad weather, great WOM and we could be looking at 600+k, which is also why this is hard to predict.

So, I'd say it should beat B&tB.

Especially considering this:

B&tB (total) vs TLK (total)

1st Wend: 864k (864k) vs 921k (1131k) -> +57k (+267k)

1st Wdays: 227k (1091k) vs 349k (1480k) -> +122k (+389k) (Summer for TLK)

2nd Wend: 503k (1594k) vs 630k (2110k) -> +127k (+516k)

2nd Wdays: 141k (1735k) vs 290k (2400k) -> +149k (+665k) (Summer for TLK)

3rd Wend: 309k (2044k) vs 400k (2800k) -> +91k (+756k)

3rd Wdays: 112k (2156k)

4th Wend: 216k (2372k)

4th Wdays: 159k (2531k) (Easter holidays for a part of Germany for B&tB))

5th Wend: 216k (2747k) (Easter Weekend) (This will be the hard part for TLK)

5th Wdays: 160k (2907k) (Easter holidays for a part of Germany for B&tB))

6th Wend: 153k (3060k)

6th Wdays: 29k (3089k)

7th Wend: 72k (3161k)

7th Wdays: 42k (3203k) (1st May for B&tB)

8th Wend: 47k (3250k)

8th Wdays: 14k (3264k)

9th Wend: 32k (3296k)

9th Wdays: 8k (3304k)

10th Wend: 20k (3324k)

10th Wdays: 5k (3329k)

B&tB added 101k after that.

Italics are just my crazy ideas. And considering how much I fucked up the predictions for the 2nd Wend of TLK I am not going to do any for the 3rd weekends, these are just some ideas that I had about it. Normal logic actually would suggest TLK to stay almost flat so a 550+k weekend but this past one was good.

TL;DR: I have no idea.

Edited by Taruseth
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

What you put in the Hide content box is really true and you put it well.

Reveal hidden contents

Also didn't knew you were 22🙈

Now I'd really like to know what you thought 😬 It seems the German Thread has many young people (and especially many students :P) and Industrious and terrestrial.

German BO is boring and we are so chatty :D

7 minutes ago, john2000 said:

any idea about lion king final total ? 40-45 ?

As Taruseth said, 4M looks good and so does your range.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Charlie Jatinder said:

India ancient name is "Aryavarat" land of Aryan. The swastik sign and Aryan word are originated from Sanskrit.

I know, its about the POV of a then Nazi.

Very narrow minded, very twisted, and so on. Power in such kind of thinking, organisation - the worst possibility for all

(Nazi use the term for people of Skandinavia, ~ Germany,... its used acc to race theories out of the 19th century)

Edited by terrestrial
  • Like 2