IndustriousAngel

BO Germany/Austria: Dune 2 fine 2nd weekend

€13,5mio midweek, slightly below my expectation. €15,3mio to get to €80mio. Seems to high for the weekend. But €75mio and $80mio by sunday are safe, right?

How high can it go in that list? Next week there are still holidays in several parts of the country. The biggest territories for moviegoing are in holidays (Nordrhein-Westfahlen, Bayern...). So a good next week I think. It should go over €100mio, so third place should happen I think. And above it could go to €110mio. (Mark G believes that 10mio admissions could happen and if the ticket price stays above 11€... :))

Are there really only two $100mio movies in Germany? Bom says Titanic ($130mio) and Avatar ($162mio). A third movie in that row is needed :)

SW7 bricht in Deutschland den All-Time Midweek-Rekord mit über 1,27 Mio. Besuchern von Mo.-Mi. - bislang (T)RAUMSCHIFF SURPRISE (1.269.900)

SW 7 breaks all-time mid-week (Monday to Wednesday, as Thursday is movie release date here) with over 1.27m admissions

Now #2 is the local movie (T)RAUMSCHIFF SURPRISE (1,269,900 admissions)

Ein schönes neues Jahr an alle!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Aristis said:

€13,5mio midweek, slightly below my expectation. €15,3mio to get to €80mio. Seems to high for the weekend. But €75mio and $80mio by sunday are safe, right?

How high can it go in that list? Next week there are still holidays in several parts of the country. The biggest territories for moviegoing are in holidays (Nordrhein-Westfahlen, Bayern...). So a good next week I think. It should go over €100mio, so third place should happen I think. And above it could go to €110mio. (Mark G believes that 10mio admissions could happen and if the ticket price stays above 11€... :))

Are there really only two $100mio movies in Germany? Bom says Titanic ($130mio) and Avatar ($162mio). A third movie in that row is needed :)

I think it should be somewhere between €74 and 76 million after the weekend. Not sure if the 10 million admission mark is still in play, seems a bit high at this point. Fack ju Göthe 2 had a bit more than 3 million admissions after the 2nd weekend, Minions 4 million, Spectre should get about 3 once it is done. Minions had the summer holiday though. If you use the 3 million the other two made, plus a little more because it should be coming from a slightly higher weekend, and 9 million admissions would sound about right. That should be enough to top €100 million as well.

It definately hurt that the peak of German cinema fell right into the worst period of the Euro. Between 2000 and 2003 the Euro was worth less than a Dollar. At the time of Avatar it was just a around the second highest peak it ever had, sitting around 1,43 to 1,44 for most of the run. Apply the exchange rate Avatar had to the Lord of the Rings movies or the first Harry Potter, and they all should have made it past the $100 million mark as well.

• Like 1

"Not sure if the 10 million admission mark is still in play"    You're right, I thought the same later. LOTR 3 had 6,6mio admissions after the second week (SW 5,7mio) and made it to 10,4mio. If you use the same multipler for SW it gets 9mio. Maybe that should be the target and - like you said - it would be enough for €100mio, third highest grossing movie of all time.

3 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Should be $70m-$71m until and incl. Dec 30th.

It's doing pretty good and should come close to 10m admissions after that great run of weekdays, after a somewhat disappointing weekend.

So about a 90M finish?

9 minutes ago, Aristis said:

"Not sure if the 10 million admission mark is still in play"    You're right, I thought the same later. LOTR 3 had 6,6mio admissions after the second week (SW 5,7mio) and made it to 10,4mio. If you use the same multipler for SW it gets 9mio. Maybe that should be the target and - like you said - it would be enough for €100mio, third highest grossing movie of all time.

On the other hand, LOTR 1 had a similar 5,7 million and made it to close to 12 ;)

That would be rather suprising legs though, I don't think that can be matched.

I completely forgot about the holidays next week though. I remembered that the 6th is a holiday in the South, but as Mark wrote on insidekino: about 80% of the country has the holidays run to that day, meaning Monday-Wednesday should see pretty good holds next week again.

2 minutes ago, George Parr said:

On the other hand, LOTR 1 had a similar 5,7 million and made it to close to 12 ;)

I completely forgot about the holidays next week though. I remembered that the 6th is a holiday in the South, but as Mark wrote on insidekino: about 80% of the country has the holidays run to that day, meaning Monday-Wednesday should see pretty good holds next week again.

Nearly a million came from doubles and triples, though. The original run ended at around 11Mio for LOTR1. ;)

5 minutes ago, George Parr said:

If it makes what ROTK made from this point or slightly more it would come to 9.5mio to 9.7mio admissions. ROTKs legs would be possible. It made 1.17mio admissions on the third weekend (isn't impossible for SW) an 0,48mio admissions in the following midweek. I don't know how the holiday were back in 2003/04 but SW could match that number if you look how many admissions it has this week. 10mio are not out of question but we should wait which numbers the weekend brings before we are disappointed.

3 minutes ago, Aristis said:

If it makes what ROTK made from this point or slightly more it would come to 9.5mio to 9.7mio admissions. ROTKs legs would be possible. It made 1.17mio admissions on the third weekend (isn't impossible for SW) an 0,48mio admissions in the following midweek. I don't know how the holiday were back in 2003/04 but SW could match that number if you look how many admissions it has this week. 10mio are not out of question but we should wait which numbers the weekend brings before we are disappointed.

Probably slightly slower WE, but bigger weekdays for SW.

11 minutes ago, Poseidon said:

Hell, no. More like $115m-$120m, maybe even slightly above.

Should do $12m+ the coming weekend alone and after that, there's still holidays in many parts.

Yeah, $110mio to $125mio (which would be the very high end) are in the range. But I don't think less than €100mio (~$110mio) will happen.

45 minutes ago, tyrannyreborn said:

Admissions (Grosses):

Week 1: 3.269.814

Week 2: ~ 2.430.000 (-25.68%)

50% drops: 8.130.000 ($101.46m)

40% drops: 9.340.000 ($116.62m)

30% drops: 11.380.000 ($141.79m)

The truth lies in the middle :) (But, who knows, maybe we will all be surprised as it comes way higher to 11mio)

2015 in D (1-5): 1) 7,6 FACK JU GÖHTE 2 (7,6 Mio. Besucher), 2) MINIONS (6,9), 3) SPECTRE (6,7), 4) HONIG IM KOPF (6,2), STAR WARS VII (5,8)

2015 in D (6-10): 6) FIFTY SHADES OF GREY (4,4), 7) FURIOUS 7 (4,2), 8) JURASSIC WORLD (4,1), 9) MOCKINGJAY 2 (3,8), ALLES STEHT KOPF (3,4)

Heute überschreitet SW7 in Deutschland die 6 Mio. Besucher- & in den USA die $700 Mio.-Marke. Die aktuellen Trends:

today SW 7 will surpass the 6m admissions mark & in the USA the $700m mark

The actual trends:.... (link)