IndustriousAngel

BO Germany/Austria: Dune 2 fine 2nd weekend

1 hour ago, Elessar said:

Then you would be crazy. It's doing as good as Star Wars can do over here.

Well, maybe I went with the hype. It'll be the most popular SW film in Germany despite less admissions as a whole, so maybe you're right but you can hope for more :wub:

When I think about it, only a short time before SW started I also thought it could be that big. A few months ago I also thought it would make less than the Hobbit International and in Germany. But then the hype really started.

Edited by Aristis

2 hours ago, Elessar said:

Then you would be crazy. It's doing as good as Star Wars can do over here.

I don't think those expectations were all that unrealistic, it was shared by most of the analysts, and most in the industry apparently thought this would get to 10+ million admissions as well. So it's not like these hopes were just wishful thinking without any prediction that would back it up, on the contrary.

Yes, this movie doing better than any SW-movie ever has (edit: well, it might not reach TPM when you add the re-release, and the numbers for the original only consider West-Germany for obvious reasons, so that is a bit iffy as well) is a huge success, but it is hard to say that being slightly disappointed is being crazy, if models and predictions saw a better result, pre-sales were much bigger than ever before, and the opening weekend and the second weekend both come in quite a bit lower than early trends had expected.

Now, to be fair, the pre-sales may have thrown a bit of a wrench in any predictions, and the weekdays - especially for the second week - were fantastic (and record-breaking), but I don't think that is enough to consider bigger expectations than the ones that will be achieved as crazy, or anything close to that for that matter.

Edited by George Parr

1 minute ago, George Parr said:

I don't think those expectations were all that unrealistic, it was shared by most of the analysts, and most in the industry apparently thought this would get to 10+ million admissions as well. So it's not like these hopes were just wishful thinking without any prediction that would back it up, on the contrary.

Can you point me to those analysts?

I would be very disapointed if The Revenant doesn't join the Top 3 this weekend ;). Members from the insidekino.de forum report that the presales are pretty good. And in „my“ only two (but big) theaters it's the same.

Per Disney, Episode VII has moved past the 7 million mark after 21 days. Seeing how it needed 434k admissions after the weekend, its weekdays should at least be in the vicinity of what Avatar made during the same days (496k). Per Mark_G, at the end of Tuesday the movie was at 70% of what Avatar made in the Mon-Wed period.

Yes, they underestimated it by far. Why, I don't know. It think it fits perfectly in the wintertime and DiCaprio is a draw in Germany and Austria for years now.

For example, the mathäser 8:15pm show jumped from a mid-sized cinema hall to the second biggest and then to the biggest and was still almost sold out only from presales. Now they added several weekend-showtimes.

And here are the Thursday estimates via insidekino.de:

SW: 58k admissions

Ich bin dann mal weg: 17k

Spectre: 10k

Joy: 7.5k

The newbies:

The Revenant: 63k

The Danish Girl: 7k

Legend: 11k

Unfriend: 13.5k

Edit: Please remember that this insidekino-estimates are no studio estimates. Despite that they are mostly a pretty good first indicator.

Looking forward to see The Revenant this weekend!

Edited by el sid
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, terrestrial said:

Munich?

We drive sometimes to Munich, either to use 'The' Cinema (OT, Nymphenburger Str), mathäser, or Cinemaxx.

It's a too long drive to do that regularly

Yes, in Munich. If I go to a big theater than most of the time to mathäser. I mean it's not very comfortable (gemütlich) but the moviegoers are pretty lively especially when it comes to action or adventure films. To me it's sort of an event-theater. And it has this great 840 seats cinema hall ;).

19 minutes ago, el sid said:

Yes, in Munich. If I go to a big theater than most of the time to mathäser. I mean it's not very comfortable (gemütlich) but the moviegoers are pretty lively especially when it comes to action or adventure films. To me it's sort of an event-theater. And it has this great 840 seats cinema hall ;).

Lkr Mü - .... ;) (to the ones not familiar with it: no, not M - ....).

Let's think 'athmosphere,...': Museum Lichtspiele during Rocky Horror maybe the most contiously audience to go livley during/with the show?

Hey, you are nearly 2 years here = see you soon in the milestone thread in the General Topis Forum?

3 hours ago, terrestrial said:

Lkr Mü - .... ;) (to the ones not familiar with it: no, not M - ....).

Let's think 'athmosphere,...': Museum Lichtspiele during Rocky Horror maybe the most contiously audience to go livley during/with the show?

Hey, you are nearly 2 years here = see you soon in the milestone thread in the General Topis Forum?

I have never seen the Rocky Horror Picture Show so far, but yes, I guess so ;).

The milestone thread? By the way I know this forum for around 10 years now (one of the reasons I have a Copper Account) but lost it when it vanished at boxofficemojo. Glad that I found it again ;).

8 minutes ago, el sid said:

I have never seen the Rocky Horror Picture Show so far, but yes, I guess so ;).

The milestone thread? By the way I know this forum for around 10 years now (one of the reasons I have a Copper Account) but lost it when it vanished at boxofficemojo. Glad that I found it again ;).

The forum is a lot bigger than - some people at least - seem to assume.

dom, intl, China, reviews, .... = Movie Discussion Forum

Here is also (in case you are not aware) an own Forum for BO relate games

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/forum/7-games/

and General Topics.

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/forum/12-general-topics/

I did miss it for several months myself then too, usuall I clicked on movie discussions to change (sub-)forums instead to click on 'forums' (but not home!)

The General Topics too has a lot of Sub-Forums, one of it is called The Real World

http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/forum/16-the-real-world/

In that sub-forum a lot of themes / threads exists, one of it is the Milestone thread, were ppl post all milestones they have, not only BOT related

Other Sub-Forums in GeneralTopics are Video Games (not BO related), Politics, TV-Shows, Tech Talk, 'Page Turners' (books), 'Playlists' (music), and Sport

I think the best is to use the main Forums view (  http://forums.boxofficetheory.com/  ) and scroll up and down for a bit, read through all the descriptions. Even within the Movie discussion Subforums are again Sub-forums, like Home Theater....) in dom too are some subforums and so on.

• Like 1

Austria's December numbers are finally in. Thanks to SW7, MJ2 and Spectre it was a strong December (yet a bit behind 2013 and 2008) and overall a strong 4th quarter, saving the year - we were about 15% up from 2014 (which was really really bad) and about 7,5% up from 2013 (which was so-so).

• Like 2

15 hours ago, IndustriousAngel said:

yep, first trend from insidekino:

#1: SW7 - 475k admissions (-45%, ouch - crosses 7,5mil)

#2: Revenant - 360k, yeah!

#3: ibdmw - 165k (-40%, crosses 1mil)

After the holidays, steep drops across the board ... let's hope we consolidate from now on

how is 45% ouch coming off of a holiday weekend? That is pretty much the target here in the US, and the ibdwm dropped 40% from a much lower volume.