EmpireCity

Weekdays Thread (6/13-16) // 6.9m TG2, 13m JW:D Mon //

49 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Yup. And, again, tons of folks are off Monday... Lotta dads included in there... They'll just see a movie then instead. This is all a bit overblown.

In theory I'd guess most would, but there could be some scenarios where going to see TGM was the designated FD activity and if that becomes staying home and watching the game instead there's no guarantee all those people show up Monday instead. I do generally agree obviously anyone who was dead-set on seeing it in theaters will show up at some point anyhow (although most of those people probably already have), but for people who would have been seeing it just for the sake of having something to do on FD there could be some loss.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jiffy said:

In theory I'd guess most would, but there could be some scenarios where going to see TGM was the designated FD activity and if that becomes staying home and watching the game instead there's no guarantee all those people show up Monday instead. I do generally agree obviously anyone who was dead-set on seeing it in theaters will show up at some point anyhow (although most of those people probably already have), but for people who would have been seeing it just for the sake of having something to do on FD there could be some loss.

Yeah. That's true. It is an 8PM EST start time for the game. If it's designated for FD, could just see it earlier in the day. Game 7 in 2016 was on FD. I'll have to check how much that depressed FD numbers for "dad" movies. That was Lebron James then too so a bigger Game 7 than this one will be if it happens...

3 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

I saw Little Women in theaters, I think it was the first drama I ever saw in theaters that had a full house. Never saw so many white people in one single room like that since.

Even a Klan meeting has at least one guy everyone thinks doesn't meet the 1 drop rule. "Looking a little tanned today, Sanchez."

"Si."

Frank Kaminsky Reaction GIF

11 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

Wait so the world cup, does that affect movies internationally? I imagine it has some sort of effect domestically but soccer isn't as widely watched here as much as the rest of the world.

11 hours ago, ringedmortality said:

I was wondering why the world cup hadn't started yet and realized that Qatar is incredibly hot. Surprised they didn't change the location after the FIFA corruption scandal, wasn't Qatar being chosen part of all that.

Huge effect, as others have said.  

The World Cup final is Avatar’s OW btw

32 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

$14.7m for JWD

15.7% increase for Dominion

33 minutes ago, EmpireCity said:

Still at $7.5m for TG2

13.1% increase for Maverick.

Interesting that Dominion's increase is greater despite seemingly worse wom and both having the benefit of BOGO sales. I wonder why this is?

Edited by Alex SciChannel

2 hours ago, Alex SciChannel said:

Interesting that Dominion's increase is greater despite seemingly worse wom and both having the benefit of BOGO sales. I wonder why this is?

Dominion is newer?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alex SciChannel said:

Dominion had a bigger NBA finals impact on Monday. Worse Monday drop, better Tuesday increase.

• Like 4

So JWD first Tuesday is equal to JWFK's first Monday. JWFK's first Tuesday was 18.4. If the 14.7 holds, JWD is running about 9M behind JWFK through 5 days.

Was hoping TGM would increase a bit more but maybe harder to see a big increase without the premium screens. 7.5 is still very good though.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer

10 hours ago, grim22 said:

How can you not like Game 7s though? Game 7 is what American sports build towards, where Legends are made. Tons of iconic moments all occur in Game 7s.

Because I don't care about NBA but I care about Sunday holds, I guess?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Alex SciChannel said:

Remember, we’re looking at grosses, not admits. Could be the BOGO deal was more of a hit with the senior - and usually more spending conscious - audience, proving a larger $ discount than JWD with even w/ a similar foot traffic increase 

Or the PLF’s were really helping the weekday grosses for TG2, and loss of them is having a larger impact 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, CJohn said:

Because I don't care about NBA but I care about Sunday holds, I guess?

Numbers from the last time Game 7 of the NBA Finals fell on Father's Day in 2016... Now, also important to note, unlike this year, the following Monday was not a federal holiday as it is this year and going forward...

https://www.boxofficemojo.com/date/2016-06-19/weekly/

7 hours ago, Legion and Thunder said:

Huge effect, as others have said.  

The World Cup final is Avatar’s OW btw

Yep which is why i woudnt expect anything too great from its OS OW numbers. Could lead to meltdowns honestly.

Edited by Brainbug the Dinosaur

52 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Yep which is why i woudnt expect anything too great from its OS OW numbers. Could lead to meltdowns honestly.

Sunday is gonna be a shitshow then. I didn't even remembered that crap was between late November and late December.

1 hour ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

jack nicholson yes GIF

• Haha 3