Neo

The Revenant | Dec 25 Limited, Jan 8 2016 wide | Opening in select IMAX theaters Jan 14th.

Tree Of Life? Mohicans? New World? Not sure honestly. Tele will know.

I made the comparison only because of this technical element.

The two movies are nothing alike.

It s interesting though, Barry Lindon was shot  with only candlelight and Kubrick asked Kodack to create new and special film footage to shoot the movie.

Here it seems Lubuezki is using the latest of the latest super high tech digital camera to shoot on exteriors. 

• Like 1

I made the comparison only because of this technical element.

The two movies are nothing alike.

It s interesting though, Barry Lindon was shot  with only candlelight and Kubrick asked Kodack to create new and special film footage to shoot the movie.

Here it seems Lubuezki is using the latest of the latest super high tech digital camera to shoot on exteriors. 

Shooting with available light is no longer the rare exception to the rule. Modern cameras and film stock are extremely sensitive. It's not really this special artistic achievement. Certainly you can get a great look doing it... on the other hand you can also achieve a wonderfully naturalistic effect using lights. I remember an interview with Roger Deakins where he talked about watching SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION (a movie he filmed) and overhearing a couple of fellow DPs talking. They said the film looked nice, but then again, it's not very hard to make a film look nice when you're shooting with available light. Deakins quietly took this as a huge complement, because the film (and the sequence in question) hadn't been shot with available light -- he lit the whole damn thing.

edit: some films shot mostly (or exclusively) with natural light:

- The Crossing Guard

- The Girlfriend Experience

- Malick movies

- Lost in Translation

- Children of Men

- Amadeus

- The Long Goodbye

- Bloody Sunday

- Gerry

- Breathless

- The Apu Trilogy

Aside from specific films, there are certain directors and/or cinematographers who frequently like shooting with available light: Vilmos Zsigmond, Lubeski (of course), Harris Savides, Malick, Greengrass, Gus van Sant...etc

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 3

Shooting with available light is no longer the rare exception to the rule. Modern cameras and film stock are extremely sensitive.

Not for a whole movie though, I guess that s still pretty rare.

I watch some recent movie making offs and I still see lots of artificial light being used in daylight scenes especially the "paper light bulbs" ( if you see what I am referring too, I don't know how they are called) that changed artificial lighting on movie sets.

I believe this is an "invention" of a french DP but I don't find information on him, I read an article about it a long time ago.

Not for a whole movie though, I guess that s still pretty rare.

I watch some recent movie making offs and I still see lots of artificial light being used in daylight scenes especially the "paper light bulbs" ( if you see what I am referring too, I don't know how they are called) that changed artificial lighting on movie sets.

I believe this is an "invention" of a french DP but I don't find information on him, I read an article about it a long time ago.

China balls. They've got a long history of being used for soft light.

• Like 1

That's 7 (!!!) wide Christmas Day/Weekend openers now, including 3 from Fox (this, Joy, Alvin & the Chipmunks #whatever). No way there isn't some shuffling that'll end up happening.

I think they're making a mistake. They should keep The Revenant in January, doesnt seem like a Christmas movie to me.