Neo

The Revenant | Dec 25 Limited, Jan 8 2016 wide | Opening in select IMAX theaters Jan 14th.

50 minutes ago, Salacious Tree Crumb said:

Sorry but this is making money, it will do fine at the box office. Leo is a consistently successful box office draw, it's had a big marketing budget and it has the look and effects of something that should be on the big screen.

I've been saying this for a while but we just put our tickets on sale (releases here on 15th) and we've sold out a showing already. It is selling out screenings in nearby cinemas as well. Maybe it won't turn a profit but it's not going to be some huge bomb like certain people seem to think.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's number 1 in the UK dethroning Star Wars,

17 minutes ago, DAJK said:

I'm kinda expecting a breakout, but I'm not ballsy enough to "officially predict" one.

Lets just say I won't be surprised with a 45M OW.

That's definitely not happening. Looking around me, most theaters are getting it on one screen only this weekend (and the running time obviously limits the number of shows per day).

• Like 1

I'm thinking something around $20-25M for the weekend. Nothing is really indicating a major breakout, guessing Fox is being extra cautious after The Hateful Eight did rather soft numbers and their own Joy (another would-be awards contender) semi-faltered, especially when they know this won't be a crowdpleaser.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

I feel like all you guys predicting big numbers for it haven't seen it yet.

Oh I haven't, but I'm well aware it is not a movie for the GA. That said, Fox has gone all out with the marketing, and there is the whole Leo draw power thing. A good sized OW followed by a crappy mutli wouldn't surprise me. 

2 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Oh I haven't, but I'm well aware it is not a movie for the GA. That said, Fox has gone all out with the marketing, and there is the whole Leo draw power thing. A good sized OW followed by a crappy mutli wouldn't surprise me. 

The marketing push has been decent but the fact it's getting only one screen at most theaters (when the running time alone would've been enough to land it two) indicates a level of apprehension. I guess we're about to find out that all the starpower in the world really doesn't matter when the movie isn't mainstream-friendly.

41 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

True, but granted, that wouldn't really have any effect on OW. I'm predicting 30+ for OW. Has a ton of hype in my area. Leo+compelling thrilling trailers (whether the movie is or not) is lined up to be a potent. But yea, it should have far worse legs than most Oscah movies. I'm thinking 35/110.

10 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Steve Jobs had good marketing too and look how that turned out.

2 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

Steve Jobs had good marketing too and look how that turned out.

To be fair, the marketing for this is more striking than it ever was for that movie, plus Leo is a huge name while Fassbender is a non-draw. But yeah, if this really is less "Leo Survives the Wild" and something more Malick-y then audiences are going to turn against it fast.

1 hour ago, Telemachos said:

No of course not. The only thing I've based it on is the level of interest im hearing on it (in my town). A lot of customers at my theatre have been asking about it, and teachers at school have been talking about it.

Last time that happened this way was American Sniper, and I didn't catch on.

3 minutes ago, DAJK said:

No of course not. The only thing I've based it on is the level of interest im hearing on it (in my town). A lot of customers at my theatre have been asking about it, and teachers at school have been talking about it.

:lol:

"Listen up class, it is vital you understand what happens to the human anatomy during a bear mauling in the wilderness. I am assigning mandatory viewing of The Revenant, after which you will go to the forest and survive your own bear mauling for a 2000 word comparative/argumentative essay on how accurate the depiction is. Death will result in a failing grade. 

• Like 1