Issac Newton

Lightyear | Pixar's First Theatrical Release !!! (But, Floppppped) πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘πŸ˜‘ | $112.3M DOM $204.5M WW

7 hours ago, BruiseCruise said:

WRT to anime movies payout, on the Demon Slayer movie, iirc the mangaka of the series only got paid $19kΒ 

These things are always hard to tell. There is no confirmation anywhere on how much the mangaka got paid in this case (or in any case, really, save a couple exceptions) specifically, but that is usually the way things are done. Generally authors get a standard flat fee (IIRC 100k yen per episode) from anime and films. It's possible they get to negotiate for follow ups to big successes at times, but this film was greenlit before the anime series even aired (!), so I would be surprised if that happened. Even then, considering how greedy the industry can get, I'm not really sure the ability to negotiate is all that good. I remember a statement from Sorachi saying that if people want to see him rich they should just buy the manga (Gintama was long running for years at that point) for example. But DS was colossal so maybe she managed it.

Β 

Mangaka do get royalties on their volume sales though, iirc with what they make Gotouge should have upwards of 75M dollars from that so definitely shouldn't be starving for money even if not exactly ideal.

Β 

To stay in topic though: these lightyear numbers are horrible, holy hell.

34.6 million os ow is just hard to wrap my head around

Even toy story 4 legs, which I assume would be the best case scenario only get it to 350 million ww

Can see this going as low at 275

Β 

does it have anywhere left to open?

Β 

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

Other tidbits from Deadline:

Β 

Lightyear posted the second highest opening weekend for any animated release in Brazil, Colombia, Chile, Ecuador and Paraguay.Β Outside of Latin America,Β LightyearΒ debuted at No. 1 in Italy and Iceland as well as No. 2 in Spain, Hong Kong, Philippines and Thailand.

Β 

Overall, the launch was 63% ahead ofΒ Encanto, 4% ahead ofΒ Sing 2Β and 12% belowΒ Sonic The Hedgehog 2Β for the same suite of markets at current exchange rates.

• Like 1