EmpireCity

WEEKEND THREAD: Lightyear implodes with 51M DOM, 85.6M WW. THE LAST PIXAR MOVIE EVER?????😱😱😱 | Dominion #1 with 58.66M, Top Gun 44M

7 minutes ago, John Marston said:

if that includes the Wednesday previews then we are heading into disaster territory for this movie 

At what point do we start questioning if Dominion might actually win the weekend?

The previews numbers are perfectly...okay. Not great, not a catastrophe. Given the sorta unprecedented nature for a movie like this (at least in a post-COVID world) we'll have to wait and see how it does over the rest of the weekend given the holidays it has on Sunday to boost it, luckily sales near me are suggesting it's not at all frontloaded (the shows in the 6:00-8:00 range in bigger auditoriums are already starting to fill up).

• Haha 1

Pixar’s return to the big screen, Lightyeardid $5.2M between fan Wednesday previews and Thursday night shows, which is just under the $6.3M that Paramount’s Sonic the Hedgehog 2 did back in April over its first two days of previews.

How can 5.2m is "just under" 6,3m? 

Just now, The Dark Rock said:

Shouldn't last Friday's 56% increase will give $9.75m for this Friday. Offcourse it can jump/increase anywhere between 50-80%

No.  I'm talking about something more specific than that.  As of right now, it's looking like it might increase in the 70%+ range from Thursday's $6.25m number.  

• Like 4

Just now, Nublar7 said:

At what point do we start questioning if Dominion might actually win the weekend?

We need at least the Friday number for Lightyear and Dominion to guess that. Imo, even with this weak Preview number, Lightyear could still reach 55M with a strong Sat and Fathers Day and 55M is not at all safe for Dominion unless we will see a very good Friday for it.

20 minutes ago, Blankments said:

Pre-emptive:

6A5A088E-7D5B-4DCF-AA2B-A37225BD01FD.jpeg

Prophetic: they’ve really sacrificed the Pixar brand to the alter of Disney+, perhaps beyond the point of recovery

1 minute ago, BruiseCruise said:

Even Sing 2's IM would only get it to 72m which is lower than low-end predictions for this one from trades and BOPro and that movie came out during a much worse time

Sing 2 opened over the Christmas weekend so a  useless comparison. 

Like I said before, Disney+ is a huge problem in turning families away from Lightyear, as well as the concept being a real "who asked for this".

But I have been thinking the past week or so that the recent inflation issues are a huge problem as well. I can't prove this per se, but inflation and costs are the worst it's ever been. $5 per gallon and food prices being the way that they are has already made me rework my own budgets and work from home a lot more, just so I can avoid spending on gas more. I'm sure a lot of people, especially families, are struggling right now and they will look over their entertainment budgets and consider that going to buy movie tickets just aren't worth it since there's so much entertainment at home.

This could of course be wrong, and this obviously does not excuse Lightyear's box office, but if the next couple weeks begin to see underperformances, we might need to rethink about the box office for the rest of the year, and I think this is something worth talking about.

(As an aside, this isn't an invitation to debate about Joe Biden and his presidency. We have a politics forum for that kind of stuff, so don't even try.)

• Like 3