EmpireCity

Weekly Thread 6/20/22 - JWD $8.5m, TGM $8.0m, LY $6.8m

5 minutes ago, Nublar7 said:

Just checked my local theater and they just added their IMAX showings for this weekend (Friday through Sunday). 9 showings for Jurassic World Dominion, 3 showings for Lightyear and 0 for Top Gun. Also looks like Dominion will remain their IMAX movie all next week too, with just one of their showings being for Lightyear

they might as well be leaving money sitting on the table...

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Maybe Jurassic World Dominion will go over $400m after all. 

Will need extremely good late legs. As of today, it's 15.4M behind JWFK which finished at 417.8M DOM total. JWFK grossed 11.9M and 11.5M on its second Tuesday and second Wednesday (4th of July in 2018). I imagine JWD will fall well short of both of those numbers and will be tracking at an under 400M finish even if it matched JWFK the remainder of it's run. It seems more likely that it'll continue to fall behind and finish between 360M and 380M DOM total. I think a realistic goal right now should be beating The Batman's 370M DOM total.

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Cheddar Please said:

they might as well be leaving money sitting on the table...

Interestingly, while my Cinemarks are leaving money on the table, my AMC has not yet assigned any IMAX for the weekend.  Right now, they have 1 Dolby screen for Elvis, and nothing else assigned but 2d...

55 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

I just put my review in the Lightyear thread, but holy horrible movie, Batman!

The legs on this - whatever I thought before, it's gonna be lower...

It has nothing for anyone in this movie, unless you're an aged 8-12 male and you don't care much about the original Toy Story...

well I’m 41 and I enjoyed it plenty. 

maybe it didn’t have anything for you, but movies are subjective. That’s the beauty of it.  Plenty of people are enjoying this movie. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Nublar7 said:

Just checked my local theater and they just added their IMAX showings for this weekend (Friday through Sunday). 9 showings for Jurassic World Dominion, 3 showings for Lightyear and 0 for Top Gun. Also looks like Dominion will remain their IMAX movie all next week too, with just one of their showings being for Lightyear

From what I’m seeing, guessing that the official IMAX policy for next week is: JWD is the primary, gets 1 matinee & 7pm, LY gets other matinee, and the 10pm show can be whatever, TGM, Elvis, or even another JWD

Sat/Sun this weekend in my liemax has two TGM, one JWD and one Elvis. 

TGM is morning, and then matinee. 

Then through next week there’s no morning show, but TGM gets the early evening, before Elvis, with JWD getting the matinee. 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, wildphantom said:

well I’m 41 and I enjoyed it plenty. 

maybe it didn’t have anything for you, but movies are subjective. That’s the beauty of it.  Plenty of people are enjoying this movie. 

I'm glad you did...I think it's gonna be a very narrow GA-like group.  Like REALLY narrow group who both like it and actually convince others it's good enough to actually pay money to see it and/or convince themselves to pay and see it multiple times.

The 5 year old screaming and crying for 5 minutes at "the twist" probably didn't help our viewing...

Ignoring my kids, this was a kid cheering at the beginning 1/3 of the movie at the right times - so to see that change - ooofff...that's the kinda WOM that is gonna go home and have all his K friends staying home b/c making a kid cry vs making a kid "salty" (like mine)...I'll take salty all day...

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Will need extremely good late legs. As of today, it's 15.4M behind JWFK which finished at 417.8M DOM total. JWFK grossed 11.9M and 11.5M on its second Tuesday and second Wednesday (4th of July in 2018). I imagine JWD will fall well short of both of those numbers and will be tracking at an under 400M finish even if it matched JWFK the remainder of it's run. It seems more likely that it'll continue to fall behind and finish between 360M and 380M DOM total. I think a realistic goal right now should be beating The Batman's 370M DOM total.

Yep 400M seems dead to me right now. It would need a softer-than-expected drop this weekend and a really good Indepence Day Holiday boost to make it possible as well as great late legs. And with Top Guns continuing amazing run and Minions + especially Thor looming, i dont really see that.

I totally agree that The Batmans 370M is now the target.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Yep 400M seems dead to me right now. It would need a softer-than-expected drop this weekend and a really good Indepence Day Holiday boost to make it possible as well as great late legs. And with Top Guns continuing amazing run and Minions + especially Thor looming, i dont really see that.

I totally agree that The Batmans 370M is now the target.

I will say now that someone enlightened me regarding the extended theatrically exclusive window for JWD... That should definitely help late legs and get it closer to 400M that I expected before I knew that. 

• Like 2

Ah I didn’t realise it was that far behind. Just assumed double it’s most recent weekend wasn’t a stretch, especially with Lightyear flopping and still having the PLF’s through its third weekend. 

don’t  know about 400m but I think the late legs will be fine