EmpireCity

Weekly Thread 6/20/22 - JWD $8.5m, TGM $8.0m, LY $6.8m

Interesting that despite being the only film in the top 5 to go up on Sunday, TG still held about as well as Lightyear and Strange on Monday, and actually a bit better than Jurassic.

Bob’s Burgers with the clutch 39.5% hold though lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mango said:

Interesting that despite being the only film in the top 5 to go up on Sunday, TG still held about as well as Lightyear and Strange on Monday, and actually a bit better than Jurassic.

Bob’s Burgers with the clutch 39.5% hold though lol

Spillover from Sunday soldout shows

Little piece of trivia for you (not hard but still interesting).  The top 25 domestic films of all time, only two came out before 1990.  Name them.

And bonus question, only 4 in total came out before 2000.  Can you name all four.

Don't look it up, it's not that hard.  

Just now, baumer said:

Little piece of trivia for you (not hard but still interesting).  The top 25 domestic films of all time, only two came out before 1990.  Name them.

And bonus question, only 4 in total came out before 2000.  Can you name all four.

Titanic, Star Wars 1 and 4.... that's all i got

• Like 3

Just now, ringedmortality said:

Titanic, Star Wars 1 and 4.... that's all i got

Good job....you're missing number 25

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

Titanic, Star Wars and The Phantom Menace. Got those 3 right. I would never remember ET without checking BOM. I didn't even knew it was that big.

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

Star Wars 1977 and ET before 1990 (must be ET right?)

Before 2000: TPM, Titanic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

Ding ding ding...we have a winner.

Nice job!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, baumer said:

Ding ding ding...we have a winner.

Nice job!

E.T is one of those movies that really climbed the ranks back with the help of its re-releases years and decades after it had its original run, similar like Jurassic Park (that had a 357M original gross and currently stands at 404M).

I think the biggest profiteur of re-releases is the original Star Wars though. That 460M DOM number was i think heavily juicied up especially by the 90s re-release before TPM hit. Both ESB and ROTJ also got major re-releases back then if im not mistaken.

1 minute ago, Djsoke said:

Those deadline estimates were some of the funniest I’ve seen. 

They had DS2 at 4.2/4.4 for 3-day and 4-day. Actuals were 4.4 for the 3-day 💀

Hey, dont pick on poor Deadline. They're trying their best. Also dont expect too much from heavily drunk people

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

E.T is one of those movies that really climbed the ranks back with the help of its re-releases years and decades after it had its original run, similar like Jurassic Park (that had a 357M original gross and currently stands at 404M).

I think the biggest profiteur of re-releases is the original Star Wars though. That 460M DOM number was i think heavily juicied up especially by the 90s re-release before TPM hit. Both ESB and ROTJ also got major re-releases back then if im not mistaken.

Everything you say here is correct.  I know ET ended it's first domestic run with something like 360 mill and then the rerelease in 85 pit it over 400 mill, the first film to hit that number.  I was only 13 in 85 but I remember it was a pretty big deal at the time.  SW had rereleases as well in the 80's and it went into the 300's...I'd have to look it up but yea it wasn't until 97 when it hit 400 mill.  

ET really captured the hearts of North Americans.....it was the Titanic of the 80's.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

I misread this as "Before 2000: TPM, Tragic". And like...not entirely wrong lmao :lol:

28 minutes ago, Brainbug the Dinosaur said:

That's...not true with E.T. at all. It was the biggest movie of all time right out of the gate. Its $359 million is an incredible achievement for a movie even today. Obviously it had help from re-releases, but it didn't need to climb anything.

• Like 3

Just now, Eric Presley said:

That's...not true with E.T. at all. It was the biggest movie of all time right out of the gate. Its $359 million is an incredible achievement for a movie even today. Obviously it had help from re-releases, but it didn't need to climb anything.

I wrote "climbed the ranks back", by which i meant that E.T. added more than just a few millions to its gross in the years/decades after the original run, which allowed it to stay in the Top 5 / Top 10 / Top 25 far longer than if it just was for its original 359M run. I didnt mean the achievement of the original run, since it became the highest-grossing film of all time back 1982. 

• Like 1