Fullbuster

Brazil Box Office Thread

On 2/8/2019 at 12:38 PM, Brunook said:

Paulo Gustavo is the king of Brazilian cinema. It's been weeks already and the movie has returned to the top spot.

End of the year has his other film that will pump hard at the box office.

How To Train Your Dragon 3 has much better legs than Ralph 2, but I guess I shouldn't be surprised because it's a more famous franchise.

The Top 5 markets saw some fluctuation. China led the way with a slowed 9% increase over 2017 to $8.87B per local officials. It’s followed by Japan ($1.875B/-1.2%), the UK ($1.838B/+3.6%), Korea ($1.6B/+3.4%) and France ($1.436B/-.04%), per early comScore estimates.

https://deadline.com/2019/01/highest-grossing-movie-studios-2018-record-international-global-box-office-market-share-chart-analysis-2019-forecast-1202528459/

Not a single word about Brazil (and Russia as well and this one was one of the most talked markets along with China a few years ago)...So Brazil still has some work to do to be a major focus of Hollywood, and that's also true for Latin America as a whole...The only part about Latin America is that one :

As for other areas of concern, Venezuela, which brought in sizable numbers in recent years (even though bolivars can’t be traded for dollars), was “wiped off the map” after a mega currency devaluation and projections of 1M% inflation.

11 hours ago, salvador-232 said:

Alita did $1.6m according to Screen Daily. Brasil BO seems really slow at the moment.

Can't blame Brazil, with all the amazing movies coming this year some choices will have to be made in order to see them all or most of them.

Let's start with the biggest movie franchise in Brazil

THE AVENGERS

In USD / $

The Avengers => $63.9m

The Avengers: Age of Ultron =>$47.9m

The Avengers: Infinity War =>$66.7m

In local currency / Brazilian Reais

The Avengers => R$129.6m

The Avengers: Age of Ultron => R$146.2m

The Avengers: Infinity War =>R$237.8m

In admissions

The Avengers => 10.911 millions

The Avengers: Age of Ultron => 10.117m

The Avengers: Infinity War => 14.57m

• Like 4

TOTAL REVENUES : MARVEL VS DC (FEBRUARY 2019)

I decided to combine the gross of all movies from these 2 brands from 2002 to February 2019 to know in an accurate way which one is the most popular (both are very popular but to which extent?). The numbers are only in USD/$, maybe I'll add numbers in local currency someday. Let's start with Marvel, I'll add DC later:

MARVEL (inclusing Spider-Man, Ghost Rider, Fantastic Four..etc..): $902m

That's right, in Brazil movies based on Marvel franchises/characters grossed a combined 902 million dollars. 2019 will be the year when 1 billion dollars combined could be reached!

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 1
  • Astonished 1

On 1/24/2019 at 7:40 PM, Fullbuster said:

TIME TO TALK ABOUT THE NEXT RELEVANT RELEASES IN BRAZIL :

The Lego Movie 2 : February 7

Alita Battle Angel : Feb 14

Captain Marvel : March 7

Dumbo : March 28

Shazam : April 4

Hellboy : April 11

Avengers Endgame : April 25

Detective Pikachu : May 9

Aladdin 2019 : May 23

Damn, I completely forgot to talk about The Lego Movie 2 o_o

It grossed an atrocious $0.6m OW compared to $5.7m OW for the first movie. Ouch!

42 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

The reason Alita bombed here is because audiences are too entertained watching the new administration implode in just 1 month and a half, lol

Outside of election days politics pretty much never influences box office.

Apart from that I'm not really surprised about the scandals, the writing was on the wall...

• Like 1