Fullbuster

Brazil Box Office Thread

pokemon-detective-pikachu-1-1-656x972.jp

One of the most interesting movies to predict next year will be Detective pikachu, it's the biggest franchise ever ahead of Mario Bros, Hello Kitty, Star Wars and Mickey Mouse.

Brazil's gaming market is still embryonic but even there Pokemon seems pretty well known, Pokemon GO certainly helps.

These tweets from one of my Brazilian followers are very interesting in that regard when it comes to the recently released Pokémon Let's Go on Nintendo Switch:

Edited by Fullbuster

21 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

I completely missed it because I was so busy these last few months but the local movie Nada A Perder was really impressive, that's rare to see a local movie grossing R$119m!

Nah. It was the same thing that happened with The Ten Commandments.

The "Universal" church bought all the tickets and distributed them. Some of their staff stayed next to the theaters and offered the tickets to anyone passing by.

In the end, all of the rooms were apparently sold out but there was hardly anyone watching because most people didn't use the tickets.

• Haha 3
  • Astonished 1

15 hours ago, Apollo2xx said:

Nah. It was the same thing that happened with The Ten Commandments.

The "Universal" church bought all the tickets and distributed them. Some of their staff stayed next to the theaters and offered the tickets to anyone passing by.

In the end, all of the rooms were apparently sold out but there was hardly anyone watching because most people didn't use the tickets.

Seeing them wasting this money for THAT with all the poverty in Brazil is disgraceful..

I wonder whether the market will grow or not this year...

I mean, Avengers 3 destroyed all records, Black Panther did very well, there's this local movie, Incredibles 2 is the highest-grossing animated movie of all time...but the August-November period was very slow compared to previous years, and Aquaman will come so late that it could be insufficient to save December.

I guess it'll be either a moderate growth, stagnation or a slight decrease.

But I don't think we'll see 10% growth rates we saw in the past for the movie market, last year the growth was the slowest already, at 4%.

2019 will have osm any big movies that it technically should be better :)

On 11/23/2018 at 7:50 AM, Fullbuster said:

Seeing them wasting this money for THAT with all the poverty in Brazil is disgraceful..

And next year they will probably release a "Part 2" of that film and the same thing will happen again.

R$100 million wasted.

5 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

And people are okay with that?

I've only seen people complaining on Twitter. Most people didn't even know that movie existed so they didn't care about what was happening. And the fact that the tickets were being distributed for free makes no one mad.

2 hours ago, Apollo2xx said:

I've only seen people complaining on Twitter. Most people didn't even know that movie existed so they didn't care about what was happening. And the fact that the tickets were being distributed for free makes no one mad.

I see..

22 hours ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

Next year: Cap Marvel, Shazam,Avengers 4, The Lion King,Spidey, Frozen 

not bad 

Next year will be the ultimate year, it's gonna be the craziest year ever. Let's hope Brazil will finally have an acceptable ER by then even if I'm not holding my breath ^^

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, noname said:

Apparently, Disney/Fox is facing antitrust hurdles in Brazil  because of Cable sports issues:

It's Brazil though, this country doesn't have the necessary weight to stop this deal. It'll be negociated and done, after all it's been approved by China..

4 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

It's Brazil though, this country doesn't have the necessary weight to stop this deal. It'll be negociated and done, after all it's been approved by China..

They might go with the solution for the same problem they found in some other markes (EU, US,...) = they'll sell a few stations till their market share for those specific (sport) channels will be less huge.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, terrestrial said:

They might go with the solution for the same problem they found in some other markes (EU, US,...) = they'll sell a few stations till their market share for those specific (sport) channels will be less huge.

Indeed, very likely.