Fullbuster

Brazil Box Office Thread

1 hour ago, Fullbuster said:

It's now clear Brazil is Marvel Country, the gap is massive :o

That's... kinda silly, don't you think?

DC have had 17 movies in that period, including the likes of Catwoman and Jonah Hex. Also, I believe your figures don't include Joker, correct?

Marvel (MCU and other studios) have had over 50, the vast majority based on very popular characters or in the latter stages of the MCU, where those characters BECAME popular... I mean, what is even the point of such a comparison other than to start some kind of argument? 

Otherwise, thanks for the stats.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, reddevil19 said:

That's... kinda silly, don't you think?

DC have had 17 movies in that period, including the likes of Catwoman and Jonah Hex. Also, I believe your figures don't include Joker, correct?

Marvel (MCU and other studios) have had over 50, the vast majority based on very popular characters or in the latter stages of the MCU, where those characters BECAME popular... I mean, what is even the point of such a comparison other than to start some kind of argument? 

Otherwise, thanks for the stats.

Numbers don't go beyond August 2019 so they don't include Joker.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Numbers don't go beyond August 2019 so they don't include Joker.

As for the Marvel and DC thing it's just in order for people to realize which one is bigger, hiding the stats to avoid fanboy wars is not a good idea, people are the ones who should behave and those giving the stats shouldn't have to "censor" themselves.

There was a time when DC and Marvel were fairly equal in Brazil in terms of popularity, Brazil has always been one of DC's strongest territories, Marvel got the upper hand only recently...So it's an interesting turn of event.

Why don't you use per film average ? It's much more fair. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Aristis said:

You could add something like a per film average which would reflect the actual size of the brands movies better.

If I recall it correctly, Marvel and DC aren't very different in the size of solo movies. It really is the Avengers brand that is bigger than anything of DC by an absurdely big margine , isn't it?

Additionally: I don't think his statement was meant in any negative way (as you seem to get it as a kind of fanboyism)

19 minutes ago, RJ 95 said:

Why don't you use per film average ? It's much more fair. 

I didn't go beyond this because...It's time-consuming! Given the sheer amount of stats I think it's understandable...

But I'll try, if I have some time, to go deeper with an average number of movies and average number per movie.

17 minutes ago, Omni said:

Pretty sure DC will gain a lot in the next years.

Guess Toy Story 4 isn't in the top 10 animation lists because it was released too late.

Though I thought it came out before The Lion King.

Toy Story 4 had good legs when I posted the lists so I didn't include it, I'll add it later on.

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Imo DC is stronger than Marvel in Brazil, Marvel has the biggest franchise (Avengers) but DC is stronger with diversified films, 3 of the last 4 DC solo films are in the top 5 biggest solo movies in Brazil, Suicide Squad is far bigger than Guardians of the Galaxy (SS is bigger than both Guardians movies combined) and  even X-men, Marvel just has a lot more movies.

• Like 1

Weekend 10/24-10/27 (Actual)

1. Maleficent: Mistress of Evil                 R$ 14.03m        -24.4%        $ 3.46m

2. Joker                                                   R$ 12.01m        -33.2%        $ 2.96m

3. Zombieland: Double Tap                    R$ 1.97m            NEW         $ 488k

4. Gemini Man                                        R$ 1.26m          -51.4%        $ 312k

5. Downton Abbey                                 R$ 802k              NEW         $ 198k

6. The Angry Birds Movie 2                    R$ 700k             -46.5%       $ 173k

7. Abominable                                        R$ 286k             -55.9%       $ 70k

8. Bacurau                                               R$ 168k            -23.1%        $ 41k

9. Ela disse, ele disse                               R$ 121k            -22.7%        $ 30k

10. Vai que cola 2 - O começo                R$ 52k             REENTRY    $ 12k

Source: FilmeB

TOP 10 Brasil 2019 (10/27)(Actual)

1. Avengers: Endgame                                                      R$ 338.59m              $ 85.60m

2. The Lion King                                                                R$ 265.61m              $ 69.39m  

3. Captain Marvel                                                              R$ 146.74m              $ 38.15m

4. Joker                                                                              R$ 125.26m       🔺1      $ 30.20m

5. Toy Story 4                                                                     R$ 124.43m       🔻1      $ 32.63m

6. Spider-Man: Far From Home                                         R$ 106.30m               $ 28.31m

7. Aladdin                                                                          R$ 80.09m                 $ 20.40m

8. Minha vida em Marte                                                    R$ 67.66m                $ 17.35m 

9. Ralph Breaks the Internet                                              R$ 64.81m                 $ 17.33m

10. Nada a perder - Parte 2                                               R$ 58.84m                 $ 14.35m

Source: FilmeB, BoxOfficeMojo, TheNumbers, BoxOfficeReport.

*I used the exchange rate on Thursday (10/24) to make the conversion to $ for the Weekend. (For comparisons only; ER: 1 BRL = 4.0449);

**The totals in $ are from BoxOfficeMojo, TheNumbers and BoxOfficeReport.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Weekend 10/24-10/27 - ADMISSIONS

Title                                                         Weekend             Total

1. Maleficent: Mistress of Evil                                           791,887           2,426,653  

2. Joker                                                                             665,992           7,853,515 

3. Zombieland: Double Tap                                              123,216              123,216 

4. Gemini Man                                                                    72,054              754,625 

5. The Angry Birds Movie 2                                                46,108              845,352 

6. Downton Abbey                                                             31,842                31,842 

7. Abominable                                                                    20,294              993,843 

8. Bacurau                                                                            9,268              688,024

9. Ela disse, ele disse                                                            7,329              229,131

10. The Lion King                                                                 3,539         16,267,649  

11. Vai que Cola 2 - O Começo                                           2,941              822,427 

12. Divaldo - O Mensageiro da Paz                                     2,780              427,081 

13. Morto não fala                                                               2,418                21,533 

14. La Lutte des Classes                                                       2,355                  2,355

15. Deux Moi                                                                       1,796                18,816

16. Turma da Mônica - Laços                                              1,788            2,104,902

17. Hebe - A Estrela do Brasil                                              1,775              112,677 

18. Brittany Runs A Marathon                                             1,388                  1,444 

19. 3 From Hell                                                                    1,388                  1,388 

20. Light of my Life                                                              1,282                  6,660 

Source: AdoroCinema

Edited by Beelzebub
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

It should beat Cap Marvel in Brazil. That had a very impressive run much bigger than any other Solo MCU movies.

Beating Captain Marvel is possible but not a lock yet.

Still, CM was very impressive back then so having Joker in a position to beat it or at least being very, very close is more than impressive considering the relatively low budget.

Now on a personal I just have to hope for the best for Frozen 2, don't disappoint me Brazil!

• Like 1