Fullbuster

Brazil Box Office Thread

Movies gross in Latin America as a single market (NEW MOVIE ADDED TO LIST )

I thought it would be interesting to know how big Latin America would be if it was a single market.So I added every Latin American countries' gross.
Brazil being the second biggest LA market behind Mexico and the most populated I think it's fitting,and I will show what is the share of Brazil in all this :D

Latin American population : 610 million (2015)
Brazilian population : 205 million (2015)
Brazil's share : 33.5%

The Avengers Infinity War
Latin America : 181m (no numbers for Peru and Central America)
Brazil : 66.3m
Brazil's share : 36.6%

1 hour ago, Fullbuster said:

Movies gross in Latin America as a single market (NEW MOVIE ADDED TO LIST )

I thought it would be interesting to know how big Latin America would be if it was a single market.So I added every Latin American countries' gross.
Brazil being the second biggest LA market behind Mexico and the most populated I think it's fitting,and I will show what is the share of Brazil in all this :D

Latin American population : 610 million (2015)
Brazilian population : 205 million (2015)
Brazil's share : 33.5%

The Avengers Infinity War
Latin America : 181m (no numbers for Peru and Central America)
Brazil : 66.3m
Brazil's share : 36.6%

If you add a few millions more from Peru and Central America we can say that around 9% of the global total of The Avengers came from Latin America, which is quite good considering the rest of the world has real juggernauts (North America, Europe, China).

4 hours ago, Sam said:

9.2M total with 3M in previews means 6.2M debut weekend, around what @Fullbuster projected.

$25M+ finish? 

Normally that's what we should expect but The Incredibles 2 and Ant-Man 2 taking a very big part of its screens I don't know if it can have these legs.

25m+ is possible but I'd expect it between 20-25m instead.

Jurassic World (2015) opened with R$23.9m back then.

Jurassic World 2's current number ($9.2m) puts it at R$34.8m, but the previews make comparisons impossible, however it seems that the movie would have started better than JW1 during a normal OW but not by much, a +10% growth or something like that.

the-incredibles-2.png?w=807

That's with quite some excitement that I can tell you that The Incredibles 2 is gonna crush the first movie, and crush it hard. It's gonna be a huge thing for an animated movie, particularly a Disney/Pixar one.

The ER will hurt it badly in USD but in local currency it's gonna be a beautiful view!

• Like 1

On 6/24/2018 at 2:21 PM, Fullbuster said:

If you add a few millions more from Peru and Central America we can say that around 9% of the global total of The Avengers came from Latin America, which is quite good considering the rest of the world has real juggernauts (North America, Europe, China).

One should also consider, that North America population is 365M (USA&Canada) 

And Europe has 742 (but that is including the european part of Russia and Turkey)

Funny thing is though, that in US&Can IW grossed $670M and just $350M in Europe (from that 185M from Uk, Ger and France (52.9%)

I probably shouldn't say just:hahaha:as Solo is barely above that WW.

And 937M for TFA in US&Can and ~640M in Europe (but $380M from that is from Uk, Ger and France (Combined population ~210M (~28.3%) and 59.4% of the gross)

Edited by Taruseth

13 minutes ago, Taruseth said:

One should also consider, that North America population is 365M (USA&Canada) 

And Europe has 742 (but that is including the european part of Russia and Turkey)

Funny thing is though, that in US&Can IW grossed $670M and just $350M in Europe (from that 185M from Uk, Ger and France (52.9%)

I probably shouldn't say just:hahaha:as Solo is barely above that WW.

And 937M for TFA in US&Can and ~640M in Europe (but $380M from that is from Uk, Ger and France (Combined population ~210M (~28.3%) and 59.4% of the gross)

What are you implying here exactly?

Remember that Europe has local movies and that some movies perform better in Europe than the US (Avatar, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings..), it's also a matter of tastes. Europe likes superheroes, but there's no real comicbook culture there.

4 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

What are you implying here exactly?

Remember that Europe has local movies and that some movies perform better in Europe than the US (Avatar, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings..), it's also a matter of tastes. Europe likes superheroes, but there's no real comicbook culture there.

I wanted to point out, that SA is still $-wise relatively small (and so has a lot room to grow)

And for that I used USA&Can and Europe as comparison and noticed that Europe is (partly not fully grown) and quite cinema-lazy.

1 hour ago, Taruseth said:

I wanted to point out, that SA is still $-wise relatively small (and so has a lot room to grow)

And for that I used USA&Can and Europe as comparison and noticed that Europe is (partly not fully grown) and quite cinema-lazy.

Quite a sizable part of Europe is still pretty poor and has an old population at the same time, it considerably decreases the potential box office.

As for Latin America it has a strong potential on the long run that's for sure, it could become bigger than the USA itself with its 600 million+ inhabitants

2 hours ago, Durden said:

R$15.1m OW + R$11.3m previews = almost R$27m, remaining only R$6m for the R$33m total. Weekdays.

Makes sense :)

JW1 grossed R$90m, curious to see how close JW2 will be, it shouldn't be too far away anyway.