Fullbuster

Brazil Box Office Thread

This thread requires quite a lot of time to be managed, it's starting to become hard after years of data. I'll need some courage, and I didn't even realize nobody came here to give numbers this weekend, what will this thread become without me??? 😨😱

MAMMA MIA! HER WE GO AGAIN!

Key markets to come include France (July 25), Brazil (August 2), Korea (August 8), Mexico (August 17), Japan (August 24) and Italy (September 6). China, which did not release the original, has an August 3 date.

• Like 1

HOTEL TRANSYLVANIA 3

Latin America, where the Drac Pack was warmly welcomed last weekend, retained the top spot in 7 out of 11 markets. The regional cume is now $50.5M. Mexico led holds with $3.8M for a $16.7M cume while Brazil was down just 18% for $9.8M to date. Argentina rose 25% to top the lifetimes of both HT2 and Cars 3 with $6.9M.

• Like 1

THE INCREDIBLES 2

Holds continue to be superpowered including Argentina (+31%), France (-4%), Chile (-4%), Switzerland (-6%), Brazil (-15%),

China is still the top market at $53.2M, followed by Mexico ($36.8M), Australia ($31.8M), Brazil ($29.2M)

• Astonished 1

ANT-MAN 2

Strong holds this weekend include Colombia (-11%), Argentina (-17%), Sweden (-23%), Brazil (-26%), Spain (-35%), New Zealand (-35%) and Chile (-36%).

Korea leads all play at $40.6M (it was No. 2 there this frame behind Incredibles), followed by Mexico ($13.5M), Australia ($12.1M), Russia ($11.3M) and Brazil ($10.5M).

• Sad 1

I'd like to forecast some movies of the second half of the year but with this ER and the unpredictable election that could affect it strongly one way or another it's probably useless to do in USD.

Venom and Aquaman are potential R$100m+ movies, I don't expect Mary Poppins 2 and The Nutcracker to be successful given the past trends. I don't see Fantasti Beasts 2 changing significantly so more or less stagnation. I have no idea about Alita : it could bomb or be very successful, depends how it's marketed but the market could be recpetive if done well. Ralph 2 is hard to predict: the 1st one was pretty weak there but the fact it's focused on the Internet this time (Google, Facebook, Twitter are big there, Brazil is one of the top 5 global markets for all of these) and the promotion about the princesses make me think it could have a significant growth over the 1st movie.

I expect this second half to be weaker than the 1st half, and not just because Avengers IW overperformed but because the offer seem less attractive.

18 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

THE INCREDIBLES 2

Holds continue to be superpowered including Argentina (+31%), France (-4%), Chile (-4%), Switzerland (-6%), Brazil (-15%),

China is still the top market at $53.2M, followed by Mexico ($36.8M), Australia ($31.8M), Brazil ($29.2M)

The Incredibles 2 is around 110m in local currency now, meaning it's certain to pass Finding Dory, becoming the most successful Disney/Pixar animated movie :D

Isn't that fantastic @pepsa ? :D

Edited by Fullbuster

Antonio Delfim Netto is no stranger to crisis. But he’s worried about Brazil this time.

The 90-year-old former finance minister and long-time economic adviser to the country’s top politicians has been through it all, from currency changes to a sovereign debt default to a series of recessions following the so-called economic miracle of the 1970s. Still, he recently found himself perplexed by a Datafolha poll showing almost two thirds of Brazilians aged 16 to 24 would leave Brazil if they could, a sign of disenchantment with Latin America’s largest economy.

"The future is fleeing," Delfim said in an interview in his Sao Paulo office.

The deterioration in fiscal accounts that cost Brazil its investment-grade status is worse than it seems and will take years to fix, according to the former minister. What’s worse, the nation’s Congress continues to expand public spending by approving measures that benefit specific groups amid a power vacuum none of the many candidates for president in October’s elections seems ready to fill.

"This will end badly," Delfim said. Struggling with a sluggish recovery and high unemployment, Brazil needs an adjustment equivalent to 5 percent of its GDP only to stabilize debt at current levels, he said, anticipating a review of constitutional rights. "We should be telling people the situation is dramatic and will demand sacrifices."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-07-05/brazil-s-economic-czar-is-gloomy-about-dramatic-situation

I'm starting to understand why the exchange rate is so terrible in Brazil!

😱😱

Sounds like it's not gonna change anytime soon, I didn't check the situation these last few months but I had no idea it'd be that bad.

Edited by Fullbuster

On 7/24/2018 at 7:59 PM, Fullbuster said:

The Incredibles 2 is around 110m in local currency now, meaning it's certain to pass Finding Dory, becoming the most successful Disney/Pixar animated movie :D

Isn't that fantastic @pepsa ? :D

Thats great, man I have a lot of reading up to do. Went on vacation for 8 days, so I missed alot of stuff 😛 

Hope it can leg its way to 150lc :D

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pepsa said:

Thats great, man I have a lot of reading up to do. Went on vacation for 8 days, so I missed alot of stuff 😛 

Hope it can leg its way to 150lc :D

150m seems a bit much but let's hope so ahaha 😛

I wish Ralph could reach such level when it's released there.

As for the vacation you were right to get some rest :D I'm doing the same, I left Twitter until September, I grew tired of it ^^

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

150m seems a bit much but let's hope so ahaha 😛

I wish Ralph could reach such level when it's released there.

As for the vacation you were right to get some rest :D I'm doing the same, I left Twitter until September, I grew tired of it ^^

Keeping up with a lot of things at the same time can be very exhausting. 

And yeah I am hoping for the best when it come to I2 and WIW2.

• Like 1