Fullbuster

Brazil Box Office Thread

4 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

What do you mean exactly?

Just that before the mods got involved this thread was filled with endless off topic talk by some Brazilians rather than posts about the Brazilian box office.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Tower said:

Just that before the mods got involved this thread was filled with endless off topic talk by some Brazilians rather than posts about the Brazilian box office.

Ahaha yes, it was fun :D

I remember Tele having to erase 20 pages because these Brazilians talked so much for hours :lol::hahaha:

• Like 1

Brazilian films suffer big drop at local box office in 2017

Brazilian films sold fewer tickets last year, although the total box office revenue in the country, BRL$2.7b ($844m), represented an increase of 4.7% over 2016.

For lack of a big entry, such as The Ten Commandments - The Movie, which broke the record for admissions (selling 30.1 million in 2016), Brazilian films sold 18.5 million tickets last year, indicating a fall of 38.5%.

As a result, the box office of local films dropped 28.7%, grossing BRL$252,9m ($79m), despite the number of Brazilian titles released being practically the same of the previous year: 154 features films.

“The recession that Brazil has been suffering finally reached the cinema. It stopped the lower social classes from going to the movies, mainly to see Brazilian films and mid-budget movies,” says Paulo Sergio Almeida, director of Filme B, the local theatrical tracking firm which compiled the latest figures.

According to Filme B, local productions accounted for a market share of 10% in 2017, when the general number of admissions fell. The country registered 183 million tickets sold, a drop of 1.5%, compared with 2016.

Cesar Rodrigues’ My Mom Is A Character 2, starring TV and theatre comedian Paulo Gustavo, bucked the trend, after grossing BRL$89.2m ($27.8m) last year. Adding revenue from the end of 2016, the film’s total rises to BRL$124.2m ($38.8m).

The comedy attracted an audience of 6.5 million spectators in 2017 (9.3 million in total), which was a performance far superior to the other Brazilian films listed among the most viewed. My Mom Is A Character 2 is followed in the ranking by the only three films that surpassed the one million admissions: Polícia Federal - A Lei É Para Todos (1.38 million), Os Parças (1.3 million) e DPA - Detetives do Prédio Azul (1.2 million).

BRAZIL BOX OFFICE TOP 10 OF 2017

(Figures in US dollars)

• 1. The Fate of the Furious - $41.7m
  • 2. Justice League - $41m
  • 3. Beauty and the Beast - $40.6m
  • 4. Despicable Me 3 - $39.3m
  • 5. Wonder Woman - $ 34.2m
  • 6. Spider-Man: Homecoming - $32m
  • 7. Thor: Ragnarok - $31.2m
  • 8. Logan - $28.5m
  • 9. My Mom Is A Character 2 - $27.8m
  • 10. The Shack - $22.4m

https://www.screendaily.com/news/brazilian-films-suffer-big-drop-at-local-box-office-in-2017/5125582.article

AND NOW WE FINALLY HAVE THESE NUMBERS

With 4.7% the market still grew at a healthy pace, but it's also the slowest growth in a decade, the terrible recession hitting the country finally reached the movie market.

@Tower @Blaze Heatnix @Napoleon @EduardoMoraes @Apollo2xx

Edited by Fullbuster
  • Like 3
  • Astonished 1

Fala Serio, Mae! is a film from 2017 but just with its numbers from 2018 it has already beaten all local films that were released in 2017.

Brazil actually would seem to have crawled out of the recession in 2017. However. 2018 is a key year initially with some big issues being debated in congress then elections and the doubts surrounding that.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, you'vegotmail said:

I am Brazilian but I don't reside in brazil currently. 

This election is definitely one of the most unpredictable due to the circumstances surrounding it. 

I have been following politics and I doubt a extremist will be elected.

I didn't follow recently, but not long ago a far right better extremist was pretty high in the polls.

10 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

I didn't follow recently, but not long ago a far right better extremist was pretty high in the polls.

I know who you talking about and that's true. Jair Bolsonaro was rather high in the polls, bearing in mind that a decent percentage said in the polls that they will vote white(null) or don't know yet. As a result early polls like these aren't that valuable.  

Though the 2018 election will be unpredictable. There is also the Lula factor, but I believe Bolsonaro election campaign will fizz out and the winner will be someone else (Alckmin, Gomes?) I personally wouldn't want them either but

Both Lula or Bolsonaro winning  would probably effect the ER

Edited by you'vegotmail

On 19/01/2018 at 6:16 PM, you'vegotmail said:

I know who you talking about and that's true. Jair Bolsonaro was rather high in the polls, bearing in mind that a decent percentage said in the polls that they will vote white(null) or don't know yet. As a result early polls like these aren't that valuable.  

Though the 2018 election will be unpredictable. There is also the Lula factor, but I believe Bolsonaro election campaign will fizz out and the winner will be someone else (Alckmin, Gomes?) I personally wouldn't want them either but

Both Lula or Bolsonaro winning  would probably effect the ER

Brazil needs reforms but I'm not sure one of these will do that, doesn't expect much good from these elections...

8 minutes ago, Blaze Heatnix said:

February is gonna be crazy!

I don't know about crazy but certainly entertaining :)

Black Panther has a shot at $20m+ :) Having a mostly black cast could affect the movie in Asia and Eastern Europe but in Brazil that's unlikely given its demographics (less than 50% of the population is white there).

• Like 2