Fullbuster

Brazil Box Office Thread

27 minutes ago, pepsa said:

Keeping up with a lot of things at the same time can be very exhausting. 

And yeah I am hoping for the best when it come to I2 and WIW2.

Oh yeah! Sometimes it's just good to decrease the scope of your activities :)

• Like 1

X-Men is popular there

..etc..

And Disney owns them now! They were already dominating the Brazilian BO but now it's gonna be massively in their favor, particularly with their animated movies being increasingly popular in a market that didn't like them much before..

Disney :shades:

original.gif

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, pepsa said:

Kinda sad that Disney is getting to big. Love their movies but I want some mid level movies as well. 

That's not that simple.

Let's take the example of Netflix dominating the streaming movie market, they've become so expanded, so innovative and are developing their own, strong brands and it's really hard to compete with that, even Amazon struggles despite some high quality shows.

But Disney? Yes they can, with their own platform they'll have the money, brands to make something really big that will be able to compete and will force both Netflix and Amazon to increase their efforts, being more competitive in terms of prices..etc..

The consumers are gonna be the winners in the end.

See? Not that bad at all.

45 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

That's not that simple.

Let's take the example of Netflix dominating the streaming movie market, they've become so expanded, so innovative and are developing their own, strong brands and it's really hard to compete with that, even Amazon struggles despite some high quality shows.

But Disney? Yes they can, with their own platform they'll have the money, brands to make something really big that will be able to compete and will force both Netflix and Amazon to increase their efforts, being more competitive in terms of prices..etc..

The consumers are gonna be the winners in the end.

See? Not that bad at all.

I don't know, for the biggest movie companie they don't release a lot of movies/year. They should atleast double the movies they make just for cinema allone. 

5 minutes ago, pepsa said:

I don't know, for the biggest movie companie they don't release a lot of movies/year. They should atleast double the movies they make just for cinema allone. 

You want Disney to release more movies? But why? At this point they would compete with themselves and quality could suffer from it. Disney really seem to know what thry are doing.

Their biggest flaw in my opinion is not being part of the videogame market, if they were trying to be a big 3rd party developer such as Ubisoft or Sega they could be really huge with all the franchises they have, they could win billions a year from this. I will never understand this...

1 hour ago, Fullbuster said:

You want Disney to release more movies? But why? At this point they would compete with themselves and quality could suffer from it. Disney really seem to know what thry are doing.

Their biggest flaw in my opinion is not being part of the videogame market, if they were trying to be a big 3rd party developer such as Ubisoft or Sega they could be really huge with all the franchises they have, they could win billions a year from this. I will never understand this...

Because they only make blockbusters and tbf I like blockbusters but I much rather prefer movies like Wolf of Wall street, 12 years a slave, Dunkirk, Django, Der untergang, the imitation game, babydriver. And you say competing with each other, almost every other studio releases more movies, so they could as well. Just don't make more blockbuster movies (they can be, but by break out not because it's a franshise). 

• Astonished 1

9 hours ago, pepsa said:

Because they only make blockbusters and tbf I like blockbusters but I much rather prefer movies like Wolf of Wall street, 12 years a slave, Dunkirk, Django, Der untergang, the imitation game, babydriver. And you say competing with each other, almost every other studio releases more movies, so they could as well. Just don't make more blockbuster movies (they can be, but by break out not because it's a franshise). 

I must admit I'm not interested in this kind of movies, but I already explained that apart from animated movies I'm not really interested in movies anymore, don't ask me why I don't know why and since Avengers Infinity War I feel much less interested in superhero movies because I got my fix: it was so good that the rest will feel underwhelming in comparison....

But yeah, I guess Disney could produce movies like that, maybe they will..but maybe they're not interested in movies that won't bring billions of dollars in the long run (theaters + DVD/Blu-Ray + VOD + TV + their streaming platform).

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

Disney has filed for the merger approval from Brazilian authorities. I hope it will be approved in Brazil because it doesn't seem like Disney has a monopoly in the movie market there.

2 hours ago, UserHN said:

Disney has filed for the merger approval from Brazilian authorities. I hope it will be approved in Brazil because it doesn't seem like Disney has a monopoly in the movie market there.

It should be fine, and Disney has the money anyway and we know how much it's important in Brazil ^^"

51 minutes ago, pepsa said:

I2 made another $3.6m this week (full week) about 13.4m lc for a total of 121m lc (with current ER)

so animated record in the bag?

Edit: DM3 -126M lc

Minions 119M

FD - 113M

Edited by Olive
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Olive said:

Minions 119M

FD - 113M

Yeah it should be by next week. I think it will land around 140m - 145m lc. Brazil is strange in the fact that it's second and 3rd weekend drops are the best. (Most of the time). 

Edited by pepsa
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, pepsa said:

I2 made another $3.6m this week (full week) about 13.4m lc for a total of 121m lc (with current ER)

12 hours ago, Olive said:

Minions 119M

FD - 113M

11 hours ago, pepsa said:

Yeah it should be by next week. I think it will land around 140m - 145m lc. Brazil is strange in the fact that it's second and 3rd weekend drops are the best. (Most of the time). 

Beating DM3 is beyond my hopes, I'm really happy for I2, it deserves it!

• Like 1

I'll be away for 11 days in a place with a limited internet connection so I won't be able to update the thread in the meantime.

I hope some people will give us some numbers in the meantime, it'd be nice ^^

• Like 1

On 7/24/2018 at 3:15 PM, Fullbuster said:

I'm starting to understand why the exchange rate is so terrible in Brazil!

😱😱

Sounds like it's not gonna change anytime soon, I didn't check the situation these last few months but I had no idea it'd be that bad.

The opposition bringing caos in order to screw with Dilma's government in order to turn public opinion against her in order to impeach her really f*cked things up in a way it will be hard to recover from.

• Thanks 1
  • ...wtf 2

On 8/8/2018 at 3:44 AM, pepsa said:

Would love to update this thread, but don't know where to find the numbers. Also haven't found any tweets with the top markets from JW2/I2/AMATW from past weekend. 

Well, nice from you for having tried, I was a bit saddened to see nothing was posted while I'm gone because it means this thread will fall into oblivion once I'm definitely gone 😕

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

Well, nice from you for having tried, I was a bit saddened to see nothing was posted while I'm gone because it means this thread will fall into oblivion once I'm definitely gone 😕

Is there a site where you can find the Brazil numbers?