Fullbuster

Brazil Box Office Thread

So, the OW record has been annihilated by a 75%. Is there a precedent like this one in any country? I can not remember anyone

the biggest improvement of an old opening week record I am aware of: Return of he Jedi(1983) 60% over Wrath Of Khan(1982) DOMhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_openings_for_films

Wow, almost 20m, this is ridiculous. But there's an explanation

Brazil had extended 4-day opening.Thursday was 5.4m and Fri-Sun (new OW record) was 13.6m.If BD2 follows that same multiplier as BD1, it will finish with 51m.

This. Thursday was a national holiday, when a holiday falls on a Thursday, almost all the schools are out on Friday, so that explains why Friday gross was so high. There's a holiday on Tuesday on some cities, so some schools will probably be out on Monday too. Plus, no interesting movie is opening next weekend, BD 2 will make a good amount of money through this week, I guess. Edited by JohnnY

Wow, almost 20m, this is ridiculous. But there's an explanationThis. Thursday was a national holiday, when a holiday falls on a Thursday, almost all the schools are out on Friday, so that explains why Friday gross was so high. There's a holiday on Tuesday on some cities, so some schools will probably be out on Monday too. Plus, no interesting movie is opening next weekend, BD 2 will make a good amount of money through this week, I guess.

Maybe some explanation, but it's still a good number.This year many signs, many hints showed us Brazil is a big market from now, and will be bigger than European markets in the future!

All time opening record & jumps in China:

Titanic (1998) ¥48M

Hero (2002) ¥53M +10%

House of Flying Daggers (2004) ¥55M +3%

KungFu (2004) ¥64M +16%

The Promise (2005) ¥75M +17%

The City of Golden Armor (2006) ¥96M +28%

Transformers (2007) ¥97M +1%

Red Cliff 1 (2008) ¥108M +11%

Transformers 2 (2009) ¥160M +48%

Transformers 3 (2011) ¥401M +40%

Titanic 3D (2012) ¥468M +17%

All jumps will be bigger in $.

Maybe some explanation, but it's still a good number.This year many signs, many hints showed us Brazil is a big market from now, and will be bigger than European markets in the future!

I'm brazilian and this is true. If we take a look at the last 5 years, we can see a huge increase in box office.http://boxofficemojo...?yr=2012&p=.htmMovies that grossed 10m or more2008: 92009: 132010: 212011: 242012: 20 and countingWe have more screens now, TDK was released on 549 screens, TDKR on 976, the difference isn't small. Plus, 3D is still big here and brazilian mainstream movies got bigger since Tropa de Elite 2 grossed 60m+. Superhero movies, Twilight/Harry Potter franchises, animations and sequels still dominate the box office (just like most markets, I guess), though, now that Twilight/HP is over, I think audience will flock to Hunger Games/The Hobbit. Edited by JohnnY
  • Like 3

I'm brazilian and this is true. If we take a look at the last 5 years, we can see a huge increase in box office.http://boxofficemojo...?yr=2012&p=.htmMovies that grossed 10m or more2008: 92009: 132010: 212011: 242012: 20 and countingWe have more screens now, TDK was released on 549 screens, TDKR on 976, the difference isn't small. Plus, 3D is still big here and brazilian mainstream movies got bigger since Tropa de Elite 2 grossed 60m+. Superhero movies, Twilight/Harry Potter franchises, animations and sequels still dominate the box office (just like most markets, I guess), though, now that Twilight/HP is over, I think audience will flock to Hunger Games/The Hobbit.

Indeed, it's impressive :o And I guess it's just the beginning, the potential is huge! Maybe a movie will reach $100m in 3 or 4 years :o

After TA's big sucess in Brazil, Iron man 3 will double IM2's gross($15.8M) possibly.

I think there is a recent trend on marvel superhero movies here in Brazil: X-Men: FC (15.2m), Thor (17.8m), Captain America (20.7m), ASM (30.3m)... Brazil was actually the biggest foreing market for Captain America, and seriously, he's not even popular here. Iron Man 3 will benefit from TA success and also have the 3D boost the previous film didn't have, 32m is very possible.

I think there is a recent trend on marvel superhero movies here in Brazil: X-Men: FC (15.2m), Thor (17.8m), Captain America (20.7m), ASM (30.3m)... Brazil was actually the biggest foreing market for Captain America, and seriously, he's not even popular here. Iron Man 3 will benefit from TA success and also have the 3D boost the previous film didn't have, 32m is very possible.

Brazilian just have same tastes in movies as me, superheroes and animated movies. :)However, I don't give a damn to Twilight. :P

Iron Man 3 is so promising, it could surprise us.