Fullbuster

Brazil Box Office Thread

16 minutes ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:
  • Brazil opened to an estimated R$ 2.2m ($564k) on 1,509 screens with over 60% share of the Top 5 films.  These opening day results are coming on par with ANT-MAN and 10% over Guardians of the Galaxy.  Including previews, the running cume is now R$ 3.3m ($848k).

https://www.boxofficepro.com/thursday-night-shazam-strikes-5-9m-thursday-night-launch-pet-sematary-digs-up-2-3m-start/

Shazam? not brazil right. 

• Haha 1

On 3/9/2019 at 4:11 AM, Fullbuster said:

OPENING DAY (local currency)

Captain Marvel: R$11.6m

Aquaman: R$7.8m

Black Panther: R$7m

Wonder Woman: R$3.25m

Shazam : R$2.2m

The above numbers are from Fullbuster with Shazam's number added in by me according to Deadline's report. I dont have any other comparisons. Hopefully someone else does.

So what OW and Total are we looking at from Brazil?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, ZeeSoh said:

The above numbers are from Fullbuster with Shazam's number added in by me according to Deadline's report. I dont have any other comparisons. Hopefully someone else does.

So what OW and Total are we looking at from Brazil?

Mmmmh, between R$10-14m OW, less than $5m OW, total between R$60-80m so between $15-20m.

Hard to be sure with OD number but that sounds to be the natural course given the trends of the market.

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, EarlyDeadlinePredictions said:
  • Brazil opened to an estimated R$ 2.2m ($564k) on 1,509 screens with over 60% share of the Top 5 films.  These opening day results are coming on par with ANT-MAN and 10% over Guardians of the Galaxy.  Including previews, the running cume is now R$ 3.3m ($848k).

https://www.boxofficepro.com/thursday-night-shazam-strikes-5-9m-thursday-night-launch-pet-sematary-digs-up-2-3m-start/

Barely better than Guardians of the Galaxy is really not great, it was one of weakest MCU movies back then when the market was smaller so imagine now..

56 minutes ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

:whosad:

What's sad about "even"?

1 hour ago, terrestrial said:
TOP10 #bilheteria #cinema Sexta-feira 5 de Abril
1. Shazam!
2. CapitãMarvel
3. Dumbo
4. ACincoPassosDeVocê
5. Nós
6. DuasRainhas
7. CineHolliudy2:AChibataSideral
8. OTradutor
9. OParqueDosSonhos
10. TitoEOsPassaros

CM resisting better than Dumbo is surprising given CM and Shazam are the same genre.

3 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

CM resisting better than Dumbo is surprising given CM and Shazam are the same genre.

What I read about Shazam! till now, their genre-mix, and other details seem to differ quite a lot.

7 minutes ago, terrestrial said:

What I read about Shazam! till now, their genre-mix, and other details seem to differ quite a lot.

They're comicbook movies!

Ice Age and Moana are very different but they're still both animated movies.

Just now, Fullbuster said:

They're comicbook movies!

Ice Age and Moana are very different but they're still both animated movies.

There I disagree to the strongest. Like to compare an r-rated Logan to an all ages whatever CBM based movie = not the same, = there are reason for the most movies get a list of genres at the most movie databases and such. CBM is not even an 'official' genre.

A super-hero genre exists in some countries genre definitions as a sub-genre, but that includes movies not a lot would see as CBMs mainly, but at best 2nd or 3rd ranked in the genre istings (if accepting CBMs as such), also includes all the animated based CBMs then.

That's the next, what a genre is, and how it is used differs strongly too, see in especial the War genre, here describing movies whose story is connected to any war, but in the US mostly used in connection to the World Wars.

Animated is another media form, not a genre neither.

The most overlap in the countries in definition I think is to find for you as a French person I guess per the French definition of Les genres par catégories

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genre_cinématographique#Films_de_genre

We here have way less separated genres like there to read in the long list, that includes  also sub-genres even in the French standards. 

But that is beside the point, it was about how much those two might share audience, and see the Logan example, not all CBMs share audience in the relevant %

4 hours ago, terrestrial said:
TOP10 #bilheteria #cinema Sexta-feira 5 de Abril
1. Shazam!
2. CapitãMarvel
3. Dumbo
4. ACincoPassosDeVocê
5. Nós
6. DuasRainhas
7. CineHolliudy2:AChibataSideral
8. OTradutor
9. OParqueDosSonhos
10. TitoEOsPassaros

Yessssss, yessss, excellent. All unfolds according to keikaku. I can feel the R$150 in my bones :ph34r:

9 hours ago, terrestrial said:

There I disagree to the strongest. Like to compare an r-rated Logan to an all ages whatever CBM based movie = not the same, = there are reason for the most movies get a list of genres at the most movie databases and such. CBM is not even an 'official' genre.

A super-hero genre exists in some countries genre definitions as a sub-genre, but that includes movies not a lot would see as CBMs mainly, but at best 2nd or 3rd ranked in the genre istings (if accepting CBMs as such), also includes all the animated based CBMs then.

That's the next, what a genre is, and how it is used differs strongly too, see in especial the War genre, here describing movies whose story is connected to any war, but in the US mostly used in connection to the World Wars.

Animated is another media form, not a genre neither.

The most overlap in the countries in definition I think is to find for you as a French person I guess per the French definition of Les genres par catégories

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genre_cinématographique#Films_de_genre

We here have way less separated genres like there to read in the long list, that includes  also sub-genres even in the French standards. 

But that is beside the point, it was about how much those two might share audience, and see the Logan example, not all CBMs share audience in the relevant %

If comicbook movie is a subgenre..then what are Shazam and CM's genres according to you? o_O

7 hours ago, fabiopazzo2 said:

Brazil (Day 2): R$ 3.0m ($774k) on 1,509 screens, continuing at #1 with a 55% share of the Top 5 films.  The running cume is now R$ 3.3m ($848k).

That's weak, there's no other words for this unfortunately. My $5m OW prediction is probably dead, and it wasn't a particularly optimistic one. $3-4m OW?

10 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

That's weak, there's no other words for this unfortunately. My $5m OW prediction is probably dead, and it wasn't a particularly optimistic one. $3-4m OW?

It seems that Shazam is really only a movie that is enjoyable for Americans sadly. The humor, story and characters in Shazam seems to be hard for many except Americans to connect with for whatever reason.

The lack of major action scenes are also probably a major problem for Shazam overseas. Because what audiences over the world want most from superhero movies is action and stuff happening, and Shazam probably offers the least of that when it comes to this genre.

56 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

If comicbook movie is a subgenre..then what are Shazam and CM's genres according to you? o_O

Did you actually read through the French entry at wikipedia? Especially the ~ 'SH sub-genre' description too?