Fullbuster

Brazil Box Office Thread

2 hours ago, Durden said:

Will be basically Incredibles 2 X Ant-Man and the Wasp. Disney :bash:

You're gonna laugh...but I completely forgot about the existence of Ant-Man...

Yes, it's not smart for them to be so close, however Ant-Man is not exactly big and The Incredibles has a past and fanbase so The incredibles 2 won't suffer from Ant-Man and will crush it in gross.

28 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

You're gonna laugh...but I completely forgot about the existence of Ant-Man...

Yes, it's not smart for them to be so close, however Ant-Man is not exactly big and The Incredibles has a past and fanbase so The incredibles 2 won't suffer from Ant-Man and will crush it in gross.

Expect Ant man to do well, marvel won't fail, not now. 

31 minutes ago, pepsa said:

Expect Ant man to do well, marvel won't fail, not now. 

Well enough, more than the 1st. But Ant-Man still has a weak brand recognition and wasn't in Infinity War so it won't help.

1 hour ago, Fullbuster said:

Well enough, more than the 1st. But Ant-Man still has a weak brand recognition and wasn't in Infinity War so it won't help.

He was in Civil War though - so he should have picked up some new fans from the airport scene.  Also this film reportedly has aspects that tie into Avengers 4.

Edited by TalismanRing

4 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

He was in Civil War though - so he should have picked up some new fans from the airport scene.  Also this film reportedly has aspects that tie into Avengers 4.

I don't say it's not going to be good, just that I don't expect it to pass $20m like other Marvel movies did, particularly with this ER. A good growth will make this a success but the overall number won't be impressive.

2 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

I don't say it's not going to be good, just that I don't expect it to pass $20m like other Marvel movies did, particularly with this ER. A good growth will make this a success but the overall number won't be impressive.

I think it might make a run for it. If it wasn't for I2 it would have done so.

• Like 1

Oh crap, i wasn't thinking about it but the box office for Jurassic World 2 and The Incredibles 2 could be affected by the World Cup given Brazilians love football so much...

On the other hand the last World Cup didn't prevent How To Train Your Dragon 2 to do well back then so there's hope, and this one is not in Brazil like in 2014

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, pepsa said:

Maybe, the possibilities are there, I'm just a bit skeptical but I'm not always right so....

4 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Maybe, the possibilities are there, I'm just a bit skeptical but I'm not always right so....

Well yeah I know, that's good, you keep me in check. 

Edited by pepsa
  • Thanks 1

I like to see this optimism about the Brazilian market though, that's really pleasant. I created the thread because this market has really a very strong potential when it comes to box office and consumption as a whole, so I was very excited.

However this f*****g exchange rate ruined everything given I was only focused on USD numbers. Local currency numbers helped me keeping some excitement alive :)

And then came Infinity War, it's like everything is possible again...damn, imagine how the market would be with a normal exchange rate :o

1 hour ago, pepsa said:

I think the vacations will be in early july, so Incredibles x Ant-Man may not be a big mess.

The World Cup can be the real villain.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Durden said:

I think the vacations will be in early july, so Incredibles x Ant-Man may not be a big mess.

The World Cup can be the real villain.

Not easy to predict movies with this kind of events..

I think people here don't care about the World Cup. Way too many problems to deal with. Cup is really irrelevant at least here. Things are way too much different if compared to previous events.

We have election this year. Many are still feeling the effects of the truckers strike. The crime rate doesn't stop increasing. Countless people losing their jobs.  For years, World Cup has been the Matrix for Brazil. People have ignored a lot of stuff in order to see the events. However, this is definitely not happening this year. We also have to remember the brutal 7x1 from Germany. 

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, Fullbuster said:

Oh crap, i wasn't thinking about it but the box office for Jurassic World 2 and The Incredibles 2 could be affected by the World Cup given Brazilians love football so much...

On the other hand the last World Cup didn't prevent How To Train Your Dragon 2 to do well back then so there's hope, and this one is not in Brazil like in 2014

Well, it may depend on how long Brazil stays in the tournament this time :ph34r:

That was a joke, just to be clear, dont kill me brazilians pls you have a better team this time. Back to topic, is it possible in Brazil that 2 big movies (JW2/I2) drive alongside each other or is a big drop for JW to be expected when I2 comes out?

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Brainbug said:

Well, it may depend on how long Brazil stays in the tournament this time :ph34r:

That was a joke, just to be clear, dont kill me brazilians pls you have a better team this time. Back to topic, is it possible in Brazil that 2 big movies (JW2/I2) drive alongside each other or is a big drop for JW to be expected when I2 comes out?

JW2 and TI2 don't necessarily have the same public. People not into superheroes or animated movies could find JW2 more to their taste so I guess there's room for both. However the problem in Brazil is always this one: the number of screens.

Even if the country added many theaters and screens it's still not enough compared to the overall population so when a big movie comes it takes screens from another big one every time because there's no other choice there.