Fullbuster

Brazil Box Office Thread

Well, I watched it today and absolutely adored it.

It came on only one screen and only one show time in my town, it was about 40% full, everyone seemed to love it by the applauses it got after it ended but yeah, it'll probably be gone by next weekend, sadly...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Arlborn said:

It came on only one screen and only one show time in my town, it was about 40% full, everyone seemed to love it by the applauses it got after it ended but yeah, it'll probably be gone by next weekend, sadly...

40% for a Sunday is quite low, isn't it? at least here where I live, the theaters on Sunday are always insanely packed. 

18 minutes ago, Goffe said:

40% for a Sunday is quite low, isn't it? at least here where I live, the theaters on Sunday are always insanely packed. 

Yep, it is. I don't live in a big city though, hell we only have one movie theater at the one local mall, so I was kinda expecting it wouldn't have mass appeal out here and I seem to have been right sadly. But hey, everyone who did watch it seemed to have a good time with it, or so the applause would indicate.

I'm pretty sure the movie theater knew it wasn't going to do much business, they had showed two shows for it per day when it came on Thursday but later that night they cut one off for the weekend. It was subtitled too and most people here seem to abhor subtitled movies. Oh well, their loss, it was a magical movie.

I'm glad it seems to be doing better elsewhere.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Arlborn said:

With much more screens and the likely WOM going with it it could have been very surprising, the lack of ambition is killing it :(

The local movie Minha Mae é uma Peça 2 reached $20.5m, first movie of the year to pass $20m. Notice that the average ticket price for this movie is lower than usually seen for Hollywood movies, something common for local movies. Probably because this movie doesn't use 3D and IMAX.

Edited by Fullbuster

On 22/01/2017 at 2:45 PM, Fullbuster said:

La La Land dazzled again with a $16.6m weekend from its 57 markets for $83.7m to date.

The awards contender launched in brazil with a preview-boosted $2m from 304 screens

That's an amazing start, Les Miserables managed to do only $4.8m in the total when the ER was way more favorable, while Into the Woods flopped with a $1.1m total. It's so rare to see a musical doing good numbers here, and I'm glad that LLL managed to make success, going for the third time tomorrow.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mockingjay Raphael said:

That's an amazing start, Les Miserables managed to do only $4.8m in the total when the ER was way more favorable, while Into the Woods flopped with a $1.1m total. It's so rare to see a musical doing good numbers here, and I'm glad that LLL managed to make success, going for the third time tomorrow.

Seen that way it's good indeed :) I'm sure it would have done much more with much more screens, it's a lost opportunity...